R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #1711
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Paul...nice job at the warm up race!

Where you running any new parts or the same old stuff? Your car looked great out there.
Hi. yes their were new parts and i did test many of them and liked some of them. I thought that the set up as a whole was in a different direction that i normally try and work in, so i think that had a lot to do with it. Normally i try and get steering from running less ackermann and stiffer front shocks and such, but with this set up i worked with softer front springs and a lot of ackermann to be easy on the front tires, then i worked more with weight distribution to get the steering back. I think in the end i had a set up that was not tuned in to a corner and had good traction without hurting the front tires too bad. I will post the set up for it worked great even without the new pieces.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #1712
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 483
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Paul,

Which motor setting did you use (ratio + motor timing).
Which speedo setting did you use?

I guess you were using a 4.0T.

Thanks
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #1713
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PL
Posts: 172
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thank's Paul to upload the set up.

What is the final weight of your car ready to race?

Also I see you generate a lot of overall traction how you planning to change it for much hotter conditions in the end of July?
__________________
-
orzel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #1714
Tech Master
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,947
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Sifu,

Diffs down ?

Yet again trying to make sure we aren't asleep ?

btw, seeing you drive without sauce at the worlds wasn't surprising.... it reminds me of how good you are at car control... specifically the show you put on at the xray challenge in Portland a few years back, Nearly an entire lap in nitro where you switched on drift mode and counter steered your way around. It was brilliant...

Cheers,

Jake
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #1715
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,464
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hi. The two piece front sus mount could help you a bit with steering but i wouldn't only look their, the car is surely tunable without worrying about sus mounts.
I would try adding some shimming to the steering ball studs. by shimming them forward 1mm it will give you less ackermann (tires will turn more equally) and the car should have more on power steering. That is what i would try first, secondly i would try and lay in the rear shocks

Thanks
I tried the 1mm shim and shock position and it deffinately made the car rotate alot better. The car feels less edgy and its easier to drive. My lap times were alot better, and more consistant this past race.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #1716
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,773
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Hi Paul,

When you put on a new rear belt in your Mod cars do you start the eccentric centered or a notch lose or tight?
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #1717
Tech Regular
 
Tekin Prodigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 416
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Hey Paul,
Was wondering on your 1/12 when you run mod or any class i guess, do you ever use your brakes, like a quick tap at the end of a straight or do you use zero brake in 12th scale? What about drag brake? Thank you!!!!! Chad
__________________
Xray T4
Tekin Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #1718
NR
Tech Master
 
NR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,535
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Hi Paul,

When you put on a new rear belt in your Mod cars do you start the eccentric centered or a notch lose or tight?
Thought I could help on this one, and Sure Paul will confirm.

He runs the rear belt lose and the front belt tight as it gives the car a little more feel and drive I believe.

Nathan
NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #1719
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,773
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR View Post
Thought I could help on this one, and Sure Paul will confirm.

He runs the rear belt lose and the front belt tight as it gives the car a little more feel and drive I believe.

Nathan
Thanks NR. Can you put loose and tight into quantifiable terms for a new belt? ie, front 1 notch tighter than neutral and rear one notch looser than neutral?
I have been running the front tighter than the rear and agree that I prefer it.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #1720
Tech Elite
 
defcone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,338
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

BLS951, is that the new servo from futaba or just a typo?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #1721
NR
Tech Master
 
NR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,535
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Thanks NR. Can you put loose and tight into quantifiable terms for a new belt? ie, front 1 notch tighter than neutral and rear one notch looser than neutral?
I have been running the front tighter than the rear and agree that I prefer it.
2 Notches from the centre notch Fr and Rr
NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #1722
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
Paul,

Which motor setting did you use (ratio + motor timing).
Which speedo setting did you use?

I guess you were using a 4.0T.

Thanks
Hi, I used a 8.5 ratio, with a 4turn 15deg timing. Hobbywing V2 speedo, 20deg turbo, 20deg boost, 500Acc, turbo delay Off. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzel24 View Post
Thank's Paul to upload the set up.

What is the final weight of your car ready to race?

Also I see you generate a lot of overall traction how you planning to change it for much hotter conditions in the end of July?
1480g is the weight so i am pretty close to that. Im not sure what i will change for the hot conditions, nothing as of now.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
Sifu,

Diffs down ?

Yet again trying to make sure we aren't asleep ?

btw, seeing you drive without sauce at the worlds wasn't surprising.... it reminds me of how good you are at car control... specifically the show you put on at the xray challenge in Portland a few years back, Nearly an entire lap in nitro where you switched on drift mode and counter steered your way around. It was brilliant...

Cheers,

Jake
Hi Jake, yes the diffs are down lol. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
I tried the 1mm shim and shock position and it deffinately made the car rotate alot better. The car feels less edgy and its easier to drive. My lap times were alot better, and more consistant this past race.
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Hi Paul,

When you put on a new rear belt in your Mod cars do you start the eccentric centered or a notch lose or tight?
I think 2 notches loose of center. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prodigy View Post
Hey Paul,
Was wondering on your 1/12 when you run mod or any class i guess, do you ever use your brakes, like a quick tap at the end of a straight or do you use zero brake in 12th scale? What about drag brake? Thank you!!!!! Chad
Hi Chad, I try not to use break in 12th scale but sometimes i might in a emergency or a super fast tight 180. but normally no.

No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR View Post
Thought I could help on this one, and Sure Paul will confirm.

He runs the rear belt lose and the front belt tight as it gives the car a little more feel and drive I believe.

Nathan
Normally yes, Thanks Nathan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
BLS951, is that the new servo from futaba or just a typo?
Typo BLS551, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR View Post
2 Notches from the centre notch Fr and Rr
Thanks!
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #1723
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PL
Posts: 172
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

1480g? That's 100g above the limit!?

And of course ECS in front?
__________________
-
orzel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #1724
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzel24 View Post
1480g? That's 100g above the limit!?

And of course ECS in front?
1380 then lol. yes, 50mm ecs in front.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #1725
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,991
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
1380 then lol. yes, 50mm ecs in front.
I say you go with the 1480 answer and have the competition pounding their heads on how you did it!
__________________
TEAMORCA.SHOP
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower) Paul L Electric On-Road 1384 12-18-2009 08:06 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:04 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net