Tech Regular

Hi Paul,

Would those be the same settings for a lrp sxx tc ver 2
bosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #1592
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho View Post
Yes it is for TC thanks a lot, what is the max temp in C deg that the motor may run on.
Great, I have run over 85 many times but 80c is a good safe temp. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosfan View Post
Hi Paul,

Would those be the same settings for a lrp sxx tc ver 2
For a 8.5 motor yes.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #1593
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Great, I have run over 85 many times but 80c is a good safe temp. Thanks

For a 8.5 motor yes.
Thanks very much
bosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #1594
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Let me start off by saying hello Paul,

Long time lurker first time post. I remember the days at Trackside when it was behind the lawyers building before Scotty got the big building... any how enough of that...

I have currently started Racing VTA and I keep getting what I call the ring of death on the inside of my tires? it totally cuts the inside line of the tire off I have tried different camber .5' at a time and it still seems to do it until I am unable to still drive the car hard I run .5' of toe out at each wheel for a total of 1' toe out could this be what is causing this? have you seen this before?

thanks in advance for your help and still keeping in touch with us little people.

Bill.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #1595
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTRUX View Post

Long time lurker first time post. I remember the days at Trackside when it was behind the lawyers building before Scotty got the big building... any how enough of that...

I have currently started Racing VTA and I keep getting what I call the ring of death on the inside of my tires? it totally cuts the inside line of the tire off I have tried different camber .5' at a time and it still seems to do it until I am unable to still drive the car hard I run .5' of toe out at each wheel for a total of 1' toe out could this be what is causing this? have you seen this before?

thanks in advance for your help and still keeping in touch with us little people.

Bill.

Hi Bill, Brings back some good memories!!. As for the ring of death, It normally has more to do with the tire construction and insert than it does with the set up. It seems that you dont have anything crazy going on with the set up. This is not happening in one or two runs, but rather over the life of the tire?
I have never set out to fix such a problem BC the set up is not going to drastically effect this from happening.

NO EVIDENCE TO BACK THIS UP but here is what i think happens to make the ring of death.
I think going around a corner the Inner sidewall on the outside tire begins to fold over, Now with the ring of death somewhat on top of the folded over sidewall it is well supported and bearing the sidewalls load trying to return to its standing position.
So basically while the load would be highest, the ring of death would almost be acting as the sidewall with a super stiff insert behind it.
if that makes any sense. lol

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #1596
Gravity RC

Quote:

Bill.

Hi Bill, Brings back some good memories!!. As for the ring of death, It normally has more to do with the tire construction and insert than it does with the set up. It seems that you dont have anything crazy going on with the set up. This is not happening in one or two runs, but rather over the life of the tire?
I have never set out to fix such a problem BC the set up is not going to drastically effect this from happening.

NO EVIDENCE TO BACK THIS UP but here is what i think happens to make the ring of death.
I think going around a corner the Inner sidewall on the outside tire begins to fold over, Now with the ring of death somewhat on top of the folded over sidewall it is well supported and bearing the sidewalls load trying to return to its standing position.
So basically while the load would be highest, the ring of death would almost be acting as the sidewall with a super stiff insert behind it.
if that makes any sense. lol

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #1597
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:

Bill.
Bill and Paul,

Everyone at our track gets the Ring of Death on VTA cars as well after running a while. Its usually toward the very end of tire life though and considered normal because of tire/wheel/insert construction (as Paul stated above).

Just FWIW.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #1598
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Paul,
When you coming back out to Leisure to start the warm up for the Nats?
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #1599
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Paul,

Not totally sure yet. most likely the beginning of may i will be out for a weekend.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #1600
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey Paul,for a 4.5 turn motor, what would be a good belt tension for the rear, right now i am two notches from the center point and im afraid it may be skipping my belt upon braking. the front belt still looks brand new. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #1601
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Paul,
Chad P. here, emailed you and race at Jeffs RC Studio. I read you ran your gravity 12th scale tires in the soft compound at snowbirds last year. I am running the softs here and love them. 1. Do you true them any more than out of can stock now when you race? 2. What mm are they stock? i have not measured and just tuned my ride hieght to 3.5mm with these tires right from the can. I have not had any traction role problems but i know they are larger than most true other brands of tires. Thank You and thanks for the email reply! Chad
Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #1602
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Paul,
Paul, To bring the Leisure and VTA tire mentions together...

We have both LG1 and LG2 traction compounds. Any suggestion on which to use and/or a loose guideline for VTA tires at Leisure? I know it's probably not a class (or tire) you normally run, but any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #1603
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

hi,
paul i was wondering what size do you cut (circle cutter) your wheel arches to on your tc
thanks,
jake
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #1604
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Jake are you meaning on the body? wanna know a secret... LOL use an old foam wheel and goto ACE hardware and get some sanding disks that have adhesive backing and cut the sand paper to fit the thickness of the wheel and chuck it up in a drill and use that to smooth out your wheel wells.. well that is what some of us old timers do.. usually looks pretty good.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #1605
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLD AS ICE View Post
Hey Paul,for a 4.5 turn motor, what would be a good belt tension for the rear, right now i am two notches from the center point and im afraid it may be skipping my belt upon braking. the front belt still looks brand new. Thanks!
Hi. I run the rear belt as loose as possible and the front belt a little snug. doing this just makes the car much nicer to drive on throttle. I go threw 2 rear belts to every one front belt, the rear belt being much shorter simply gets circulated much more among other factors which is why it wears out faster. 2 notches back from center should be fine.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prodigy View Post
Paul,
Chad P. here, emailed you and race at Jeffs RC Studio. I read you ran your gravity 12th scale tires in the soft compound at snowbirds last year. I am running the softs here and love them. 1. Do you true them any more than out of can stock now when you race? 2. What mm are they stock? i have not measured and just tuned my ride hieght to 3.5mm with these tires right from the can. I have not had any traction role problems but i know they are larger than most true other brands of tires. Thank You and thanks for the email reply! Chad
Hi Chad. Thanks for the email. Yes I did run softs all around at the birds, since then it seems that Med's have been pretty popular as well, and some are liking hard front with med rears and getting really good life out of them.

The tires come out of the can at 43.5mmF and 45mmR, I do cut my tires much smaller for racing. In the instruction sheet that comes with the rear tires i suggest for low traction 43.5F 45R, then smaller for med traction, smaller yet for high traction. So basically i feel like the biggest that you would ever want to run them would be out of the box. but im glad that your car is working well with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasagnaCat View Post
Paul, To bring the Leisure and VTA tire mentions together...

We have both LG1 and LG2 traction compounds. Any suggestion on which to use and/or a loose guideline for VTA tires at Leisure? I know it's probably not a class (or tire) you normally run, but any input would be appreciated.
Hi. I would think that LG2 would be the best in most cases at leisure. I would start by cleaning the tire with LG1 let dry, then apply a very small amount of LG2, let dry and run. After the tires are pretty well broken in i would say just to use LG2. if you apply the proper amount of LG2 (very little) it should tack up, not greasy in 10-20min.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake95 View Post
hi,
paul i was wondering what size do you cut (circle cutter) your wheel arches to on your tc
thanks,
jake
Hi Jake!. I don't use a circle cutter so i don't really know, sorry.

Quote:
Jake are you meaning on the body? wanna know a secret... LOL use an old foam wheel and goto ACE hardware and get some sanding disks that have adhesive backing and cut the sand paper to fit the thickness of the wheel and chuck it up in a drill and use that to smooth out your wheel wells.. well that is what some of us old timers do.. usually looks pretty good.

nice