R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya mini series (M01, M02, M03, M04...) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/3529-tamiya-mini-series-m01-m02-m03-m04.html)

mailboxck 03-07-2002 05:35 AM

Tamiya mini series (M01, M02, M03, M04...)

I'll get my tamiya M04L tom, and was wonderin'. What could i get on it?

Core Creations 03-07-2002 01:02 PM

I've heard the only thing to do to the M04 to get it to work is..Low friction dampers, ball diff, and Super slicks in the rear...leave the front tires stock. Yellow springs all the way around. I would start with 60wt. oil up front and 40 out rear. The main thing is traction. It would be a little loose with the stock tires, but with the super slicks in the rear and stock front tires you cure the overstear. I am an M01 man myself....nothing like seeing those 10 year old dinosaurs tearing up brand new designs!!!:D

mailboxck 03-09-2002 05:04 AM

New plans.

Insead of going for a M04L. I'll try to make it into a touring.

Do anyone remember the Tamiya Ta03FS or Ta03rs?

I'll use the bodies of those. And the arms of Tl01

mailboxck 03-14-2002 05:48 PM

Finished project:

Ingredients:

Tamiya M04L
TL01 long suspension arms
heat sink
oil shocks
Tamiya porshe gt1 body

Runs well, with slight oversteer

coolrcdad 03-24-2002 09:48 AM

M04L set ups

I just built an M04L for the upcoming outdoor club racing season. The chassis is back heavy with a noticeable difference in front and rear ride height. How have you guys balanced the ride height? Any other set up tips?

My set up for now: 50 wt oil all around, blue springs in back, red in front. (I may add a small internal limiter to lower front a bit.) Using aluminum shocks, universals from my M03 and other hop ups.

Thanks for any advice.

mailboxck 03-24-2002 07:45 PM

I also had that problem before when i used the M04L. The front seems to be a bit higher than the rear. That's because the rear has so much weight over it.

But to solve that prob, use a heavier weight oil in the rear and harder springs or more spacers to add some "rebound" to the shocks. Just like what you do in gran tourismo 2 or 3

Anyway, the set-up i use for my M04L is #900 oil and 2 hole pistion in the front with red springs from the hard tuned sping set and #600 and 1 hole piston in the rear with yellow springs.

LowBucks Racing 04-04-2002 03:30 PM

MO3 Set Up

I have a MO3 in which I plan on running in a up coming Tamiya race. What would be a good set for me to run? I have the heat sink, 3 degree rear uprights and I am running the car on Tamiya B's slicks.

My LH has a race this Sunday, and I was going to try and run my MO3 agaist other mini like HPI's(AWD), using 27 turn stock motors. What would be a good setup agaist the HPI's running 27 turn motor?:(

Core Creations 04-04-2002 06:16 PM

Honestly you would be better off running the stock silver can....I know that sounds silly, but with front wheel drive too much power is the enemy. There is just no way to put it to the ground. I used to run my M01 against Mini RS4 pros running 27turn stockers and I would run the Mabuchi 540 and almost always win. The silver can allows you to gear it huge and almost never let off the gas...And from what I remembered the HPI was a littlle tail happy. (Most people don't set them up right, I know it took me a year to set mine up where you could just drive the tires off it). Really, try it.....I've won at TCS and know what it takes to make them fast.

As far as setup goes, I would run Yellow up front with 40wt oil and a 3 hole piston, out back I would run the blue springs 60wt oil and 2 hole piston. You'll have to fight "push" with the front wheel drive and running it softer and with a bigger holed piston the front will transition fast, and it will also turn in harder off throttle. Try running -2.0 front camber and -1.0 in the rear. Tires are a little tricky. I tried Tamiyas Type A (I wasn't aware they made type B mini tires):confused: but didn't like them...they really pushed off throttle and they took too long to get up to speed. I like the Super slicks with Tamiyas hard molded insert (Not the foam). They are pretty low profile and have excellent wear. The Type A slicks have a way too tall sidewall and hamper performance. Also don't run the swaybars....let the car lean in the corners, it will provide higher corner speeds. If it still pushes try the red front springs

Any other ???S:ha: :ha:

LowBucks Racing 04-04-2002 10:01 PM

MO3 Setup

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CIVIC91
Thanks CIVIC91 I will try that setup for this weekend race. One other thing. The sivler can motor, when breaking it in, should the brushes touch the comm fully?

Core Creations 04-05-2002 04:33 AM

They usually won't for quite a while....you can speed up some of the break in by dipping it in water while running it with 4 cells. Do this for 10-15 seconds and then spray it out and lube the bushings and the comm every run with Duralube motor treatment. Make sure to spray the motor out between every heat.

k_bojar 04-05-2002 06:44 AM

Anyone know of somewhere to get hop-up parts for the M02L chassis??? I've tried Tower and they dont seem to be carrying anything for the chassis anymore:mad:

Thanks

Mike F 04-05-2002 02:09 PM

Originally posted by k_bojar
Anyone know of somewhere to get hop-up parts for the M02L chassis??? I've tried Tower and they dont seem to be carrying anything for the chassis anymore:mad:

Thanks

what are you looking for, there's really not much you can get for this car, I have one with I think all the hops ups

k_bojar 04-05-2002 09:00 PM

I was actually looking for some of the simplier hop-ups like the motor heat sink, sway bar set, steering set

I know the kit has limited hop-up potiential, but i was only looking for a few things :)

Mike F 04-08-2002 06:46 AM

Sheldons Hobby might still carry some of the items your looking for. Cross also makes some cool stuff for the M02L as well. If nothing else someone on here can help you out with some parts.

Mike F 04-08-2002 06:48 AM

Originally posted by CIVIC91
Honestly you would be better off running the stock silver can....I know that sounds silly, but with front wheel drive too much power is the enemy. There is just no way to put it to the ground. I used to run my M01 against Mini RS4 pros running 27turn stockers and I would run the Mabuchi 540 and almost always win. The silver can allows you to gear it huge and almost never let off the gas...And from what I remembered the HPI was a littlle tail happy. (Most people don't set them up right, I know it took me a year to set mine up where you could just drive the tires off it). Really, try it.....I've won at TCS and know what it takes to make them fast.:
Where can I get one of the those Sivler Can motors you have? :D