Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 966e

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey there Boa,have you tried adding some weight to the old battery cavity to see if that sorts out some of those issues just put the same weight as your 2 lipo batteries there and see if that makes any difference,just add more if you need to .my 966e in standard setup weighs in at 2.5 kg..
i have a 960 also setup for high speed and it weighs in at 3.5 kg but is great for straight line speed and reasonable braking and good handling.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Boa
Tech Apprentice

No, I haven't tried that but I'm sure going to.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
With that heavy gearing, I think no motor/ESC/Lipo can deliver enough power on 4S for a decent amount of time.

I've converted my 950R to Electric on 6S lipo, and with 1st gear spurs, a cnc made holder, 22T motor pinion, and a slightly modified motor mount, you have room to fit a modified brake disk again.

Spur/pinion
Break disk
Break servo

Yes, my 2 times 3S lipo lie next to the car, this is not the best set-up, but it's a lot of fun driving it!
1st test run without mechanical brakes was to much for the motor, but here you have some youtube's to see for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNb2ZSMchm8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f30iBuujrRY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VJlxDlMRJw

Topspeed reached was 111kmh, which is the same as 1/8 nitro can reach.
Laptimes where 1 sec less, than what I can drive with my 966, but with better body, and better tyres, I think I am able to get close enough!....
What kind of runtimes are you getting and how many mah are your packs?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by D.a.v.e
What kind of runtimes are you getting and how many mah are your packs?
I run 4500mAh packs, and am able to get around 6-7 minutes runtime.
I'm not exactly a beginner, so I drive the car pretty hard.....

At the moment I am not able to get to these runtimes, because on way or another, the car seems to go into lipo cut-off, or something like that, after about 2 minutes. Switching of and on again, I can run for another minute or so. What it is I don't know yest, but I am in contact with Hobbywing to try and solve the problem....
At the moment it is getting winter here, so I will start driving the car again, next year...
Old 11-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

we just had our EP onroad National titles here in Perth Western Australia.
with a modified layout of the tray, i use 6000mah 60C packs. 2 2S packs. i know everyone else is using 5s or 6S , but for rules here we have a limit to use 4S. it is hard to get it to work, but we have done so in good hot conditions.
here is a video of the First Final. i went quicker in the 2nd , and let the National Mod driver drive the car in Final 3. he enjoyed it alot. and we created alot of interest here running the class as a demo class. M7H, i believe it is a heat issue causing your problems. i too was cutting out or stutter with in 3 mins of driving too hard, and what i did was cut the fuel tab out on the body, bend it up and flatten the top part, so it acted as a Air Dam. it guided air directly over the motor , the faster you go , the more air over the motor. i was then able to turn it up more and last the entire 5 mins. after the meet, i let 2 other people drive it, and it would have gone another min or more with the same packs used. on a big track, we have no issues of run time.
here is the Vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBov3EFFUlo
Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
M7H, i believe it is a heat issue causing your problems.
The ESC is not giving any blinking led's to tell me it's overheated...
Also the motor is around 50 Celcius, the ESC also....
If I drive the car on 5S Lipo, and use a rollout of 44mm maximum, all seems ok and I can drive until lipo cut-off, on 4S lipo it's the same, but there is not enough speed for our track.

But maybe i'm on the edge of what the ESC can deliver, or 1 FET is not capable of delivering the power. I have some ESC returning to me from HW, and will try them when they arrive, and weather permitting ofcourse.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
The ESC is not giving any blinking led's to tell me it's overheated...
Also the motor is around 50 Celcius, the ESC also....
If I drive the car on 5S Lipo, and use a rollout of 44mm maximum, all seems ok and I can drive until lipo cut-off, on 4S lipo it's the same, but there is not enough speed for our track.

But maybe i'm on the edge of what the ESC can deliver, or 1 FET is not capable of delivering the power. I have some ESC returning to me from HW, and will try them when they arrive, and weather permitting ofcourse.
our Ambient temp is hotter here, when i ran with no cooling holes motor was temping at 70C, with cooling holes, the same temp. but i never had any stutter with the cooling holes on the car. so even though motor temps were fine before, but remained consistant, the cooling holes must cool the motor down to not reach any heat protection. this is just what i found, i was able to turn things up, and stay at the same heat, with cooling holes directly above the motor. so that lead me to believe its a motor heat issue.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Anyone got 1 for sale?

Is anyone looking to sell their 966E?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tires for bashing

I know this is a race car. But some people use it in parking lots and just for fun.
Are there any other tires, beside foams, that can be used?
Old 03-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://www.edamhobby.com/shopping_li...rea=73&cat=241

My 950r electric conversion is ready to go, just need a pinion adapter.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Help and/or opinion’s - thinking about selling my 966e...

Never mind....

Last edited by oldnfat; 10-13-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: never mind
Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 966E

Originally Posted by oldnfat
Hi guys, I have a 966e that I built and I am now considering selling it, just wondering what I should target price wise.
Driven once, like new, just a shelf queen.
futuba bls551 servo correction I have a Hitec 625mg in there and not the futuba...sorry....
tekin rx8 esc
tekin t8 2650
nano-tech 5100 mah 60-130c saddle packs (4s config.)
orange surface 3 channel receiver (works with spektrum)
2 full set of tires, cannot remember the brands, but one white and one black set. I will post more later with all the info, shore ratings and brands.
Custom painted body from Larry at kustomRCgraphics

I can post more pics tonight, just wondering what I should ask for this thing as a bind and drive (for spektrum).
I wonder if it would be wise to sell it as a roller and part out the electronics or go for all of it at once.?.?.?.?...
I don’t see to many of these for sale and after I add up everything I spent on it, I see why now. I do understand that rc greatly decreases in value, but I am just wondering what I should ask for this. I am thinking that this one may have to go on the bay to get some more views and interest.
Thanks in advance for any and all help
Coop
Can u load more pictures of your car?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Never mind.

Last edited by oldnfat; 10-13-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: never mind