Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Case For Spec ESC Profiles >

The Case For Spec ESC Profiles

The Case For Spec ESC Profiles

Old 12-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
All speed control manufacturers (who wish to participate in entry level spec racing) offer a separate, non-timing, non-PC programmable controller for less than 99.99 (street price).
hard to argue with $99, now everyone can get back to motor and battery wars
Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (98%+)

interesting....

Last edited by evostyle; 12-17-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayL
how do I know you didnt take the insides of a better esc and put it in the 'spec' esc case?

or just find a way to reprogram it
simple, make the esc case a different size, and the pcb size of the esc a different size to anything else currently on offer by the same manufacturer.

Any setup buttons could be moved around also.

Reprogramme it - not so easy, but probably not too easy to reprogramme and ESC without bespoke software for it - like the hotwire in Tekins case.

By removing the link of software parameters and choosing "on board" features, removes specific user settings.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

They didnt make the Wii to be programmed and play burned games but we can do it so there is no way to stop cheating a "spec" speed control and please everyone, STOP using the word SPEC when it comes to 17.5 RACING.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Cross-platform "spec" profiles won't work.

Better to mandate a "spec" ESC from a single manufacturer.

Since the motors are all so similar, you can probably leave the motor choice open.

Complete opposite of how brushed worked!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sosidge
Cross-platform "spec" profiles won't work.

Better to mandate a "spec" ESC from a single manufacturer.

Since the motors are all so similar, you can probably leave the motor choice open.

Complete opposite of how brushed worked!

Do you have any reason(s) why it wouldn't work?

Do manufacturers not like the idea of working to a single spec, possibly even using the same components?

I do understand the idea lacks any creativity for a manufacturer, maybe this is a problem.

But at the same time, domination by a single mfr isn't an answer in my eyes either, I see it as more of a money making situation than caring about the hobby as a whole...

It is clear to see that the "lastest and greatest" isnt the way to make any slower class work, that is my point... and that is exactly what is happening now.

Pushing the boundarys of tech. to be #1 isnt real racing in my eyes. its winning with $...

The guys on the track are not the ones making the ESC. They only have the skills to wheel a car and set it up correctly.

At what point does winning a club race feel good, after blowing X amount of $ to do so?

I get very little gratification from winning a club race now, but dont have the "open cheque book" for nationals.... what gives?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

hand-out motors.
hand-out esc's
hand-out tires

where will it begin.......you guys done 'stealin the wealth' yet?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

come on Lynn where's your 2 cts?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Exclamation My .02? Quick, act now, before thats all a "Dollars" worth!

Originally Posted by Drillit
come on Lynn where's your 2 cts?
So Mark? why don't you haul the "where to get Xray" thread back out of
the "Trash", for a "little late night entertainment

I'm quite sure all of the new T3 owners will want to know where they can get the New, optimized nT1-FK04, (while supplies last)

Psssst- I hope they don't try to ban my Photon.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

LOL so Maybe tech judges will be sitting at the work benches Flashing everyones ECS with roar aproved Firmware/Bios, before they are allowed to get on the track. Then they check flashed Firmware/BIOS Version again right after they come off the track ?

Just make the track narrower and more complicated LOL where its always turning, LOL less straights and have NuerbergerRing style Elevations inside turns and shikanes xD.

That way you better be driving well to compensate the shear power of the electronics nowadays.

Last edited by iPearl; 12-30-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Tech Champion

in the brushed motor days it was all about springs,brushes and picking a good motor in the first place, then gearing it right.

Now, it is about having the latest software for esc's that use it, as well as using the right amount of boost and gearing.

I club race at a small track that is still competitive if you throw in a 27t motor, as they allow 13.5 or 27t.

The faster guys will always be faster because they have the skill to a) set the car/esc up and gear it right and b) have the skill to wheel the car consistantly. And probably throw multiple sets of tyres at the car....

Technology will always improve, as it does in most other competitive hobbies.

If you want equal racing, race in a spec class. We're racing toy cars for bowling trophies....

Maybe it's just me, but the older I get, the less worried I get about rules.

If my car is legal for racing, thats good enough for me. I'll let the guys with lots of $ beat me by tenths of a second a lap if that's what makes them feel happy.

Small fry against the big dogs, look at F1, enough said!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
in the brushed motor days it was all about springs,brushes and picking a good motor in the first place, then gearing it right.

Now, it is about having the latest software for esc's that use it, as well as using the right amount of boost and gearing.

I club race at a small track that is still competitive if you throw in a 27t motor, as they allow 13.5 or 27t.

The faster guys will always be faster because they have the skill to a) set the car/esc up and gear it right and b) have the skill to wheel the car consistantly. And probably throw multiple sets of tyres at the car....

If you want equal racing, race in a spec class. We're racing toy cars for bowling trophies....

If my car is legal for racing, thats good enough for me. I'll let the guys with lots of $ beat me by tenths of a second a lap if that's what makes them feel happy.

Well said.
But why every one worried about whats in the car?
no one ever looked at the tracks.
We can make track harder ADD elevation for gawdsake.
Lets see some wipe outs due to gravity changes LOL.
We will be back at setting up the car right and Change of driving style =D
FUN all over again.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Please beat me... I hate losing!

Originally Posted by tc3team

Id race with you.. seems you have your head screwed on properly. And you're welcome to whoop us on track as long as you let me have a peek at your setup and give me a chance to learn something that I might not yet know. Nothing better than a "Good race buddy" on the stand at the finish line, regardless of where you are placed.

Live by a philosophy that we all hate LOSING, yet shouldn't mind being BEATEN. LOSERS will blame their deficiencies on other peoples assets, the BEATEN accept room for improvement, identify where and how, once ego is put aside, there's sure to be something to learn!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by blis
Id race with you.. seems you have your head screwed on properly. And you're welcome to whoop us on track as long as you let me have a peek at your setup and give me a chance to learn something that I might not yet know. Nothing better than a "Good race buddy" on the stand at the finish line, regardless of where you are placed.

Live by a philosophy that we all hate LOSING, yet shouldn't mind being BEATEN. LOSERS will blame their deficiencies on other peoples assets, the BEATEN accept room for improvement, identify where and how, once ego is put aside, there's sure to be something to learn!
I club raced about 2 weeks ago, won the A and realised afterwards that I didn't actually get that much gratification from doing it lol. I bear no secrets on car setup.

Secrets are for people who are scared of getting beaten, or have the mentality that they do not wish to help anyone enjoying the hobby as much as themselves.

And I doubt I would get much gratification from winning a bigger meeting too if I had the time for one.

I'd rather spend my time helping others get up to speed Life's too short to be worrying about rules and what is in your car, and what isn't. I'm 31 this year, been racing since I were 15.

In my younger years of racing, i'd get stressed out about the slightest thing sometimes, but now, I just think it's not worth it

Race, hang out with friends, have fun, good times....
Old 12-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by iPearl
Well said.
But why every one worried about whats in the car?
no one ever looked at the tracks.
We can make track harder ADD elevation for gawdsake.
Lets see some wipe outs due to gravity changes LOL.
We will be back at setting up the car right and Change of driving style =D
FUN all over again.
I race indoors, and there are about 6 different layouts we put down in a sequence.

I never get bored of racing indoors and there is always a lot of grip, so you just have to tame the car a little on its turn in.

Outdoors is different, as it's is usually a little more forgiving as you have run off areas and the chance to try different racing lines on the wider tracks.

For variety, i'll try out different venues and see how things go

for uk tracks with an unusual twist to them, there is aldershot that has a banked sweeper to it: http://www.aldershotmodelcarclub.net...07_02_2004.jpg

apart from that though, and maybe Halifax having some elevation changes in it (not been there to be sure), all our on road tracks are quite flat usually.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.