Wiki Posts
Search

The Case For Spec ESC Profiles

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
This past summer and even this winter with a new indoor carpet program, we are experiencing record turnouts,

what and where exactly is the problem that needs fixxing?
We did this summer as well (35 or so regulars in Stock TC for club racing in a parking lot is not too shabby). Winter not as much but I don't think that has much to do with ESCs.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

As with everything technology advances within our hobby as well. Why are some people so put off by these advances instead of embracing them? Also I don't understand the whole (esc of the month) phrase.. I'm still running the same Tekin RS that I've been running since Tekin released it and am quite happy with the performance of the Tekin still.

Just boils down to people always need an excuse as to why they are getting beat. I mean c'mon man, we are racing here! At one point everybody wanted to go faster and now some complain their stuff is too fast. I feel sorry for the manufacturers, they can't win. I mean if you find that your race car is now too fast for you maybe you should sell it and buy a crawler.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
That doesn't eliminate better performance based on software. They can program a sensorless motor to do the same performance. It just reads the motor a different way.
Sure it does, without the cable you can't read the "sensors" so you don't know where the motor is in it's revolution. Therefore you can't advance timing with software. That's how all these turbo modes work, by using the sensors.

But yeah, you do roll backwards at the start without sensors =)
Old 12-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ChristopherKee
Sure it does, without the cable you can't read the "sensors" so you don't know where the motor is in it's revolution. Therefore you can't advance timing with software. That's how all these turbo modes work, by using the sensors.

But yeah, you do roll backwards at the start without sensors =)
Honestly I think sensorless would make great software just a bigger advantage. Sensorless is not the way to go. A motor can mechanically do what it can do and either way someone is going to figure out how to get that out of the motor sensors or not.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Okay, so then we're going to pretend there's not actually a problem? That there's no incentive to throw your wallet at spec racing when it doesn't have to be that way? That every club, series and big race now has to deal with what ESC's are legal and what isn't?

We have it within our grasp to stop this, and make things better for free, and you guys are gonna be like "everything is great, guys, what are you talking about?"
Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Maybe some of the problems with RC now a days is the INTERNET and all the constant BITCHING we're stuck reading every single day.

I bet in the old days you had a whole week to cool off, now your rekindling the frustration several times a day, seven days a week.

EDIT: I'm not saying everything is perfect and exactly like I would do it in my perfect world. 12 months ago how many people were ready to stop racing if BL wasn't made legal? Sadly, we made our own bed.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
Maybe some of the problems with RC now a days is the INTERNET and all the constant BITCHING we're stuck reading every single day.

I bet in the old days you had a whole week to cool off, now your rekindling the frustration several times a day, seven days a week.
Lol
Old 12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Okay, so then we're going to pretend there's not actually a problem? That there's no incentive to throw your wallet at spec racing when it doesn't have to be that way? That every club, series and big race now has to deal with what ESC's are legal and what isn't?

We have it within our grasp to stop this, and make things better for free, and you guys are gonna be like "everything is great, guys, what are you talking about?"
What is the problem though? I guess that is what I don't understand. I see people complaining but I dont necessarily see people saying what the problem is. People beat around the bush but is it the cost of racing? The perceived inequity of certain equipment? I put new tires on for a main last week and gained .4 seconds on my best lap from my 20-30 run tires. Should we make that illegal because it costs money and makes things unfair?

Let's first define the root cause problem then begin to look at solutions.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Lord

Jesus Christ, seaball was right. I might have to kill myself now.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by or8ital
What is the problem though? I guess that is what I don't understand. I see people complaining but I dont necessarily see people saying what the problem is. People beat around the bush but is it the cost of racing? The perceived inequity of certain equipment? I put new tires on for a main last week and gained .4 seconds on my best lap from my 20-30 run tires. Should we make that illegal because it costs money and makes things unfair?
Well, the current issue is that you have to spend $350-$400 on a new ESC or be .4 off. And that means everybody has to spend that kind of money just to all get back in line right where they were. And it looks like Tekin is about to drop new software to get back in the game, which means if you're using some other ESC, you need to drop $150+hotwire if you want to keep up with your Tekin peers. And then if Novak's new software is .2 faster... Now 13.5 is faster than 3.5, and you have to spend $100 on new 25.5 motors to slow back down. Or we could just stop this now and focus on other things.

Am I being daft? You guys have seen what's going on at big races, right? That stuff will trickle down to your happy little clubs.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

The simplest solution is to race a class where boost makes no difference.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Rubber Modified?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I have seen the light Rick! I mean if you are that competitive that you have to put $1000 a month into the hobby to get a slight edge over folks then run modified. If you aren't then run stock and just enjoy racing your toy car. The people that I have seen stay in this hobby the longest are the ones that don't really care if they win or not, just that they improve with what they have -- and have fun at the track with their friends.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
Rubber Modified?
modified, mini cooper, F1
Old 12-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Everyone just needs to let it go. Cases and everything else everyone is throwing theory's out there about is just going to take time, and just cost more money somehow. Race the class, go out and have fun. If your not winning because your don't have the best stuff, then become a better driver. Don't come on here and moan about how things need changed. Because in the long run, it's only you that needs the adjustments. If I'm wrong, god forbid, strike me down right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.