Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first RC car HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Default My first RC car HELP!

Hey im new to these forum and im new to RC cars. I have a 100-200$ budget i want a RC car thats fast looks cool and i can recharge quick.I Have no clue what to look for in a RC car. Im a computer geek so i can pick up on basic knowledge and logic well.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if thats what you got to spend start with a tt01 or a ta05 if the budget will allow altough you maybe lucky to get a fast charger a bat. for that

you will also need money for spares a tyres so keep that in mind

happy shopping
Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waly alloush
Hey im new to these forum and im new to RC cars. I have a 100-200$ budget i want a RC car thats fast looks cool and i can recharge quick.I Have no clue what to look for in a RC car. Im a computer geek so i can pick up on basic knowledge and logic well.
http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/10785/

A complete listing of HPI's RTR cars. Pretty good value.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=SM&C=CAC&V=HP
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Hehe! Do you know that saying "Fast, cheap, reliable - you can only have two!". That will be your first lesson, but I don't expect you will understand it soon.

Just an example, the RTR cars are cheap and may be fast, but more often than not they're not as reliable as the top cars which are not cheap.

A comment on the above suggestions though, from personal experience, HPI cars are not that good (unless you go for the top Cyclone cars, and then you're in pro territory i.e. big money).

My choice if I were to get into the hobby with what I know now would be a basic tamiya kit, probably one like the TA05 which can be developed over time as your skills grow into a full blown TRF race winner.

First step though (or second if we consider you've already taken the step to ask for advice) is to make sure you understand what you can get for the budget you want to use. For your proposed budget I don't think you can get more than a toy that doesn't go anywhere. You know what they say, double your initial budget and get to the next order of magnitude and you're a bit closer to the truth.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Same for myself I started with Tamiya as LHS has the parts avail.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

as a "computer geek" you should know that you are asking a "what kind of computer should I get" question, and even worse because there are probably 10 or 20 times as many rc cars as there are PCs. you should also know that doing extensive research, and not basing a decision on random biased opinions, is your best way to get knowledge. IMHO spend some time reading the forums, and study up on the options available, is the best way to educate yourself on what's out there. then when you have a basic idea of what you are considering so you can ask a less generalized question. also, as someone else said "double your initial budget" so you don't end up with a toy or disappointed in what you end up with.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Rookie

I am also new to rc cars but i have a few friends that have been racing. They told me to look at a few cars but i went with the Traxxas Rustler XL-5 RTR. This is a good start out car it now comes with a 7-cell 3000 mAh battery and charger. You can get parts pretty cheap if you have some local hobby shops around you. I got mine for around $175. I would check it out at rcsuperstore.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for all the help i just ended up ordering 1/16 E-Revo VXL 300$ shipped with taxes.