R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2002, 07:23 PM   #1
Tech Master
Default Hudy Comm lathe question

I've been looking into getting a Hudy comm lathe and have decided to get the Tech comm lathe (really would like to have that executive one though, but its too pricy ). I have one questions that Hudy does not have the answer to on their website. For each given model comm lathe, there are two different types of it. One has Ball Bearing guides, and the other has Hardend Steel V guides. Which one would be better? I would figure that the bearings would be best, but I want to make sure there is nothing that I am missing. Thank you in advance.
Modena AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 08:07 PM   #2
Tech Regular

I would get the V guides. Ball bearings, unless very high quality, are prone to inaccuracy. Also, as they wear out, they get more inaccurate and can affect the comm cut. Ball bearings can also get dirt in them and jam up or run very roughly. It's better to just get the V blocks and add oil every time you use it. It should last a very long time and hold its precision too.
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 10:09 PM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

i think v-guides will last longer as there are no moving parts to maintain and to be misaligned.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 10:29 PM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Definately get the V-guides. I have never heard anyone recommending the Ball Bearings over the V-guides.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote