R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Orion (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/35187-orion.html)

sean 03-07-2004 09:51 AM

Orion

anybody try the hellfire RS24 stock? i just got one and rather like it. not quite as fast but i think it has more torque than my monsters. it tends to get pretty hot though

DT-Skyline 03-07-2004 10:37 AM

Is it better than the Team Orion Stock itself?

Jon Kerr 03-07-2004 03:02 PM

The Hellfire and Orion Core Stock are the same motor. They are good for smaller tighter track because, like you said, they have more torque than a Monster. It's used a lot in offroad.

sean 03-07-2004 05:03 PM

i think i am going to stick with the hellfire for a while,i might pick up a p2k2 as well. i like motors with more torque rather than top end. if it has the torque you can always gear it up a couple of teeth if you need more top end.i used to like the p2k2,but people insist that the monster is the way to go. i am not saying its a bad motor,just going to try something else for a while

Jon Kerr 03-07-2004 07:55 PM

What are you running it in and what type of track? Torque is better as far as I'm concearned (sp?) because if you're able to get out of the corners faster, you should be able to get a better run onto large straights to keep up then you can kill them in the infield.

sean 03-08-2004 03:34 AM

CRC Carpet Knife and i run it at South Shore Hobbies indoor 100'x50' carpet track. it only has one straight,the rest is rather technical. it always changes though.every trophy event they change the layout right before the event.this keeps the playing field level because alot of people come from far away,if they didnt change it the locals would have an unfair advantage.its also nice to have variety

delta420 03-08-2004 07:57 AM

What brushes and springs are you trying? Any cuts or drill holes in the brushes?

rtypec 03-08-2004 08:06 AM

The orion motors are similar to mvp's and behave similarly to the way you tune mvp's. Narrowing 4499 or 767 brushes and running peak/orion red springs on both sides was something we did at last year's KO grand prix. It seemed to work okay but I'm sure there are folks here with much more experience with tuning mvps than myself.

Jon Kerr 03-08-2004 08:37 AM

What Rod said ;)

delta420 03-08-2004 09:21 AM

Excellent thanks. Are the peak reds similar to a T(caugh) red?

sean 03-08-2004 09:35 AM

Originally posted by delta420
What brushes and springs are you trying? Any cuts or drill holes in the brushes?
i am running the springs and brushes it came with. i havent actually started racing yet.still learning to drive 1/12.i also dont have any expierience tuning motors. i am unclear on what the effects are of softer/harder springs or different brush styles on motor performance. any pointers would be appreciated. i would like to start experimenting with motors.

thanks,sean

hobbipro 03-08-2004 09:46 AM

I'm using both orion and peak stock motors, darn good motors, very good mid range torque. There's no need to drop 4-5 teeth on the pinion to gain any kind of torque like Epic's current crop. I personally like to use 4499's cut down with the stock green/red combo. They are pretty close in performance to MVP's and can be tuned in exactly the same ways. Go to www.rccars.com to get tuning tips from Big Jim.

rtypec 03-08-2004 10:02 AM

what hobbipro says :)

I'm not sure if the Peak/Orion Reds are the same as the T ones. I mooched the springs from a team driver and after the race I gave my handout motor away so I don't know.

ultragraffics 03-10-2004 08:55 PM

Hey guys,

Joe Pillars recomended their Enduro Brushes and Green Springs on both sides... I prefer this spring combo with 766's

I really like reedy 766's and Purple Trinity Springs on both sides

I have only ran these motors in offroad but I am sure they will fly in onroad...

The purple spring combo is insane...