Wiki Posts
Search

R2 vs Yokomo SD

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by edseb
I love my SD. From what I understand, the R2 takes a while to get tweked right. Once its up to speed, its a matter of personal taste.
lol, ask randman what it took to get the sd hooked up.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Well my car is the CGM and maybe its different for the SSG, but it wasn't hard to get it dialed in; maybe lucky, but it seemed pretty basic.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I've both the SD as the R3, forget the SD, It twaeks to easely and isnt very stable compare to the R3.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Lotus111
I've both the SD as the R3, forget the SD, It twaeks to easely and isnt very stable compare to the R3.
I heard about that. The Yokomo's Tweak Easily
Old 03-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

I myself have been researching the XXX-S G+, Yok SD/CGM, and the Alex racing R2/R3 for a while. But since your interest is in the latter two, I'll concentrate on that. This is what I have learned:
1. Tweak has been a issue with the SD. But there are ways around it (Double the upper deck)
2. Parts. Around my area I would have to order parts for either car except the Losi. From what I have seen both Alex and Yokomo have about the same trouble as far as availability. Although, Speedtech is the only place in the US to get Alex parts.
3. Yokomo pretty much fixed the steering hub problem with the H series parts. I have heard less stories of breakage with the H series.
4. Lack of steering on the R3 has been an issue, but getting the new rack helps on this.
5. I've seen and heard people having many difficulties setting up the Alex cars compared to the Yoks. I don't know if this is because of the newness of the availability of Alex cars (in the US)or if it's because not many people have them and the ones that do are still learning. Yokomo may have the advantage there.
5. Performance and reliability. I have not heard of too many issues with the R2/R3. But if you race the R2 (especially modified)it would be wise to get the Pal options. Keep in mind that will up the cost by more than $160. But I have heard that carpet can be rougher on the cars. Both cars are pretty much equal performers when adjusted right. Although I think the R2 weighs slightly less, so you would think that would make it quicker on acceleration possibly. Not sure of the R3. Yokomo I already addressed.
5. Adaptability If you are looking for different chassis' to play with Yokomo is the only one on that spot. R2/R3s may not need that option. But it can be nice to try out.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

I would agree, and regarding tweak, like I mentioned above, I have the CGM so I think this has been addressed with this chasis, plus its nice to have options. From others that I know who have had both cars, tthe strengths in the R2 is the suspension in realtion to the center. Because of the closeness to center of the arms, the characteristics of the Alex favor tarcks that have big sweeping turns, where the Yok handles other tracks better. I prefer the Yok because of my ability to get partts and options and tyhe fact that guys around me have them for tech support. You'll have to weigh your pros and cons yourself.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

when all else fails... buy BOTH!
Old 03-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I bought the R2 already, just need help on the gearing.

thanks for your help guys
Old 03-08-2004, 09:53 PM

easiest way is to just install the motor, stick a pinion on it and go up or down as needed.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by MugenMTX3Kid
I bought the R2 already, just need help on the gearing.

thanks for your help guys
can't you just go to the track and see what final ratios the fast guys use?
Old 03-09-2004, 01:09 AM
Tech Master

Hi friends. greetings from Malta.

These THIS CAR VS THAT CAR threads are all the same.

The Yoke guys will write and say GET A YOKE - it's better. The others with say theirs is better.

May I suggest you have a look at some big race results with the World's best drivers at work. Take a look at the Worlds for example. Have a look down the A finals and see what cars are in there. You may even like to have a look down the B final. The top 10 drivers will all be pretty good so there won't be much to choose from there.

The top 10 cars will also be pretty good, otherwise they wouldn't be there, would they.

Choose a car from there. There's plenty of choice. You can't go wrong.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

I would agree if that was the reality. But, top drivers drive what they are sponsored by, and not necessarily what they think is the best. They are also so good, that with time and tweaking, they can make just about anything perform well. Cars like the Yok and the Alex don't have the marketing money in the states for a lot of drivers. Come on, Yok only really has one factory driver in the USA; Chris Tosolini. Even when he does well, that's only one driver in the A-main. He loves the cars, but if you go by your strategy for buying, the Yoks don't make up a good percentage. Even if other drivers like Blackstock or Kinwald wanted to drive a Yok or Alex, their sponsors would never allow it. I'm not saying the other cars aren't good, just that your theory for buying isn't based on reality.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

I agree! Well put
Old 03-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

I also don't think a lot of the above posts say go get the car because they have one. Most explain there preference due to chasis tweak, parts availibilty, support, driving characteristics, etc. There will always be bias, but you can weed through most of it make make your own opinion, isn't that what forums are for and reviews too. Most reviews in magazines don't give any car less than 8s or 9s, but that doesn't mean they're alll that good. You ned to read what characteristics are right for you and decide. Staring a vs. forum usually let's the undecuded find out about any big issues, or concerns that won't rear their head till you become and owner. If chasis twist is a big concern for someone, and they drive on carpet where that is a big concern, I would want to know form others. The manufacturer isn't going to publicize stuff like that.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Just get a Factory Team TC3 and skip all the BS.

I drive a Yok SD, by the way. I've run TC3's since their introduction, love 'em to death, but had to try something new. The reality is, if you stay off the boards, reliability goes WAY the heck up. After two weeks running the SD, it seems that it's every bit as reliable as my Associated cars, and I haven't noticed a tweak problem. Then again, I'm running on asphalt, and the car likes a little flex out here.
Yokomo parts distribution in the US is what you'd expect, but it's much more broad than Alex's. If the Baraccuda is heavily supported in your area, by all means, it's going to be a matter of which car tickles you Elmo... er... whatever. The bottom line is, you can't go wrong with Associated or Losi - everything else is a crapshoot with regards to parts support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.