Search

Motor Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Motor Tuning

hey ,

just wondering if any one would be interested in starting this thread.

i thought i would create a thread for people to share tips on tuning their motors.... i know there are specific threads and so on and so forth, but im talking about when people try things out themselves, just let people know what to do , and if it works or not like certain spring brush combinations and that sort of stuff.

i may aswell start it off with something i tried the other day.

not really sure if this made a huge im provement but it did cool a MOD motor enough for me to be able to touch it for a fair while after a 5 min race... which is usually not possibly without serious burns. i just got an ordinary chamois... ( the kinda rubbery synthetic ones, not the fluffy ones) and cut a piece off wide enough to cover the motor can and sewed it in a circle kinda like a sock u slide over the motors. Before the races i just had it sitting in a esky full of ice so it absorbed SOME water, but mainly got ice cold, and then before the race i slid it over the motor and installed it, and it seemed to work okay, and was still fairly wet @ the end of the race so it wasnt totally evaporated.

well there ya go, ive started it, so any one who has any tips on motor cooling, or tuning or anything, post it here

thanx ... robbie lloyd
Old 03-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

A company used to make them(I've forgotten the name). As far as I know they went out of buisness a while ago.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, they sell a thing like that here in the states, it's called a "can cooler", I have one, but I didn't notice much difference.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default "can cooler",

Guys;

An old trick is to put a piece of Ice on your motor a 1/2 hour before a run. I've tried Ice and Cooling spray, neither seemed to make any performance difference with my Stock Motors.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

Cooling a stock motor with ice will make a performance difference as long as you actually cool the motor, i.e. leave the ice on long enough for it to actually cool the motor substantially below ambient. The spray won't do anything. It's like putting your can of soda pop in the freezer for 20 sec and expecting it be cold.

Last edited by calvin; 03-06-2004 at 01:08 PM.