R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Anyone still using a Stratus 3? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/350340-anyone-still-using-stratus-3-a.html)

sosidge 12-09-2009 02:19 AM

Anyone still using a Stratus 3?

After a few years of running the Mazdaspeed6, I'm looking for something a little bit "safer" to drive.

Would a return to the Stratus 3 be wise (I last ran one 3 years ago), or has the body and handling game moved on too far?

Skiddins 12-09-2009 05:50 AM

It would certainly be 'safer', but depending on track size etc you may find it a bit too safe.

I have one with a low downforce wing for the big nitro style tracks.

Skiddins

piper48 12-09-2009 08:39 AM

stratus 3

I ran a Stratus 3 all of last year in 13.5. Unfortunatly I don't anymore cuz my Local Hobby Store stopped carrying them. I'm running the LTC-R, which is fairly new, and get the same handling characteristics as the Stratus 3. Give the LTC-R a try.

DaSkills 12-09-2009 08:52 AM

I use both bodies. It really depends on the track and what you are looking for in characteristics. The LTC-R is a combo of the Speed 6 and the Stratus 3, so it's a good in between body. There are a few guys at my track who runs them and seems to like them.

spongerX 12-09-2009 08:54 AM

How is the Stratus 3 "safer" than a Mazdaspeed6?

What is the difference in handling?

I'm just getting back into touring after a 10 year gap and have been running a Stratus 3 for the past month. Just finished painting a DNA 2 and have an LTC-R and R9-R to paint as well. What're the differences in handling between these 5 body styles?

My track is very low grip asphalt parking lot with a 13.5 brushless limit.

sosidge 12-09-2009 08:57 AM

Is the LTC-R really a safer shell than the Mazdaspeed? Because I read in the past that it had even more steering?

I'll be running with a small wing by the way.

geeunit1014 12-09-2009 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by sosidge (Post 6697463)
Is the LTC-R really a safer shell than the Mazdaspeed? Because I read in the past that it had even more steering?

I'll be running with a small wing by the way.

If you want a less aggressive body, try the regular Mazda 6. The LTC and MS6 are very close, the LTC has a tick more steering IMO. Don't forget you can always move the wing back to help lock the rear end in.

heretic 12-09-2009 09:55 AM

Sosidge ;

I ran a stratus 3 last winter exactly for the same reasons you consider using one.

then i tried a mazda 6, and i'l NEVER go back, at least on carpet/rubber. It is really too much on the "safe" side, it really lacks agressivity and it made me drive even less smooth as usual. With a mazda 6 my driving is not the smoothest you'll see but even myself find it much better, not to mention the friends who saw the difference in my driving/lap times.

In short : I 'd rather run my ruined mazda 6 than my almost new stratus 3.

I plan on testing the ltc-r and/or speed 6 pretty soon. Maybe even an old protform alfa 156...:sneaky:

heretic 12-09-2009 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by spongerX (Post 6697440)

I'm just getting back into touring after a 10 year gap and have been running a Stratus 3 for the past month. Just finished painting a DNA 2 and have an LTC-R and R9-R to paint as well. What're the differences in handling between these 5 body styles?

THe R9-R and DNA2 are quite famous for being A LOT too agressive/loose for rubber racing, especially for asphalt... They seem a lot more appropriate for foam/capet TC, in fact I think they're just foam bodies with bigger wheel openings.

The LTCR seems like a very good body from what I heard/saw/tried on a friend's car.

RKeasler 12-09-2009 01:39 PM

I run the Stratus when I need the car to calm down or on low grip tracks it makes the car very stable. The Mazdaspeed 6 and LTC-R are very comparable to each other and are my bodies of choice. Madza on first car and the LTC-R on the other.

Rod

Skiddins 12-09-2009 04:02 PM

The Stratus 3 lacks turn-in etc while keeping the back end planted. This can be good on wide sweeping tracks but it means you have to make big changes to get any aggressive turn-in back.
It means you end up driving very aggressively to get the handling back.
On the flip side it also stops the back end kicking out, really depends on what you want.

Skiddins

MartinBasse 12-09-2009 04:11 PM

hi

if you think the speed is to loose or aggressiv i would go for the stratus 3 itīs alot easyer to drive

DaSkills 12-10-2009 07:35 AM

I feel that it also has to do with your setup. On my Yokomo Bd, I liked to run the Stratus 3 over the Speed 6. It made the car feel more stable and had alot of low speed turn in on tight tracks. Now on my 416, I run a Speed 6 more than I do the Stratus 3 so your looking at 2 different setups. So the LTC-R is a good combo of both, the front end has the turn in of the Speed 6 and the rear end is like the Stratus 3. That will be my next body to try.