Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capacitors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what about just the capacitor its self. what size is it? Cause i can make it myself.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Knowing that receivers put out about 4.8 to 6.0V, I would get something with no less than 10V WVDC.

It really depends on what kind of noise you're having in the receiver. But generally, you can just start with a 10uF or a 47uF and just play with the magnitude (1uF, 100uF, 4.7uF, etc...) Not knowing what the cause is on the voltage rail makes it impossible to determine how much bypassing (which is what the Capacitor is doing) you need...
Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
The one u mentioned is a receiver capacitor used to reduce glitches... The one originally posted was about power capacitors which is installed at the battery wires going into the esc to reduce voltage ripple and to prevent unstable voltage from the battery during hard acceleration...
You're prob right but...
I'd also bet that there is alot of hash on that batt line & that would need to be removed before it gets into the esc's electronics & perhaps thats the main reason for the cap.

Would the cap would be 'big' enough to do much about ripple caused by the current switching action of the esc.The battery is effectively a huge cap with very low esr(?), the cap is effectively in parallel with higher capacity cap (the bat)

Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

The ultra best capacitors are tantalum capacitors, mainly use in computer motherboard to power up CPU and GPU. Tantalum capacitors should be arrange in PCB board, in parallel configurations. They last almost forever and got the most rapid charge / discharge power.

The next alternatives ( and cheaper ) are electrolyte low ESR capacitors.

If you want to lower the ohm, simply double the capacitors in parallel mode.

Don't use too many capacitors , 1. the car looks crowded, un-cool, geek. 2. There is impendance factor that somehow lower the battery voltage.... perhaps a few milivolts.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rwmjd007
Sorry to interrupt. I know you are talking about capacitors for the esc. I was wondering what size capacitor would you run in the rx to stop glitches. When i went looking the guy at the electronic shop gave me the biggest capacitor they had. I thought it was a bit of an over kill. But i am interested in setting one up in my rx. so what capacity would you recommend and what resistance.
4700uF worked for me. 10v LOW ESR
Could probably have used smaller, but it solved my servo issues.
I would have thought the servo (& rx) should have had some sort of low capacitance bypassing built into the circuit.
Then again they dont build in reverse voltage protection into some rx & servos (a 20c diode)
Old 12-08-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Addict

There are two categories of caps. One is made to connect to the Rx. The other is made for the ESC. Most modern ESCs already have caps built-in.

Here is a cap made for ESCs. Take a look at the specs.

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=417
Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PaPeRo
There are two categories of caps. One is made to connect to the Rx. The other is made for the ESC. Most modern ESCs already have caps built-in.

Here is a cap made for ESCs. Take a look at the specs.

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=417
How would you hook these up to the ESC ( assuming you not just replacing exisiting caps )?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gimpex
How would you hook these up to the ESC ( assuming you not just replacing exisiting caps )?

You add them to the power wires going to the esc,close as possible to the esc.
phil
Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Here are some that I run on my 1/8 buggys and truggys, a local guy put them together, Just like in the other posts you can buy them and just solder them together .

Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I happen to have a KO Propo VFS-1 right next to me. These older brushed ESCs include a cap that just about as big as the ESC itself. The specs on the side of the CAP are as follows:

2700uf
25v