Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2WD electric Sedan to save the class?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 2WD electric Sedan to save the class?

From my Experience with an 1/10th off road class, a 2WD chassis can be more popular than current 4WD chassis in TC, this might bring more people back to this hobby for following reasons.
1: Lower chassis cost/ IMO a kit around $200 is possible
2: Less wear/economical running cost
3: Less damaged on a crash/ lots of ppl went to 1/8th off road cuz car don't break after a reasonable crash.
4: compare to smaller scale cars more room for electrics / I don't mean to say anything bad about mini-z or cup racing cars but to me they are too sensitive to set up change or too compact for human's finger size
5: Roomy layout don't need a low profile servo, Micro RX or and micro ESC
6: limited over all traction requires only a controllable horse power.
7: last but not least/ get rid of body rules. people love to race their dream cars than a Mazda 6. just like an RCGT rules lets drive some fancy cars!
what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails 2WD electric Sedan to save the class?-80808081.jpg  
Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Man your talking about World GT class...
Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mccrash59
Man your talking about World GT class...
no thats a live axle pan car with foams, this is a independent suspension rubber class.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

That's adding another class. Now everybody with a 4wd TC has to go buy a 2wd and blah, blah. WGT or TC chassis. We need no more than that.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think it need's a company to come out with a car that relatively can be cheaply spec'd. A class for beginners to go along with 4wd touring car. Like F1 and Slash spec classes, it must be cheap and provide close racing for all skill levels. Cheap enough to get masses of people interested, but give the hard core racers a reason to drop $200.00 and another receiver.

Scale realism. Bodies, tires, wheels, yada yada. Basic bodies, so none of them have any more performance gains. A Bmw guy will hate spending 200 when he has to run a Lexus to "Go Fast"

I know at some tracks F1 has a separate race day its so popular. And Slash does also.

Some idea's to spark some discussion.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

I just play with my M04. It's a handful to drive, but fun.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
From my Experience with an 1/10th off road class, a 2WD chassis can be more popular than current 4WD chassis in TC, this might bring more people back to this hobby for following reasons.
3: Less damaged on a crash/ lots of ppl went to 1/8th off road cuz car don't break after a reasonable crash.
4: compare to smaller scale cars more room for electrics / I don't mean to say anything bad about mini-z or cup racing cars but to me they are too sensitive to set up change or too compact for human's finger size
7: last but not least/ get rid of body rules. people love to race their dream cars than a Mazda 6. just like an RCGT rules lets drive some fancy cars!
what do you think?
1. A kit around $200 is possible in 4wd now. But it would be a cheaply produced plastic car. The same would hold true with 2wd. If the class ever caught on you'd see expensive graphite and aluminum cars there too.

2. Marginally less at best.

3. There's no guarantee that a 2wd chassis would be built any more rugged than a current 4wd. Sure there would be less drive trane to break but look at what normally breaks in a race, suspension arms, knuckles, etc. The same stuff would be breaking in a 2wd car.

4. Yes they would be less sensitive and easier to set up than smaller scale. But more than current 4wd cars.

5. There could be more room...it all depends how the chassis would evolve. It is likely chassis would get more narrow and lose all that space to save on weight.

6. Limiting traction never works. All it does is make cars less controllable and cause more accidents. Especially with newer drivers who haven't learned fine control yet. This would frustrate them quicker and get them to leave quicker, unless traction was super high.

7. Some people want to race their dream cars. Getting rid of the rules would end up with even more performance oriented bodies and less nice looking ones, that is once the class caught on enough for manufacturers to make class specific bodies.

The DS wasn't the only 2wd suspension car made, Yokomo had a FWD, and Traxxas and Kyosho had RWD full suspension cars. If it was going to catch on it would have already.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

hey that has been in front of everyone's eyes for ever. Bolink or Rj speed Legends you han have different types of clsses like 27t or 17.5 and 13.5 or 19t and a expert MOD class. Even though that would be extremely fast it would still be fun.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
what do you think?
Didn't Tamiya try this with the F103GT? That worked well.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Spec class. One chassis, one motor, one servo, one type of tire, one type of esc..
Old 12-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default There is no such thing as a economical class...

Look, as racers we are always looking for the edge, no matter what class you race whether it is spec or mod you have to spend to compete.
If it is spec, there is always the 4 or 5 who will always race with a set of fresh tires for every heat, the highest C rating, the latest greatest esc and motor. It is just the way it is, you mention RC GT, well I race RCGT, I started with a Cyclone sport and a Novak Havoc Spec 17.5 system and some decent 25c packs, well my skills are good and getting better and now I am tired of finishing mid pack, well I need a SPX, some better batts and a deeper pool of tires to pull from, not to mention 3 or 4 bodies because those affect the handling too. Now I do this with out whining because that is what I choose to do.
If 4wd buggy is too expensive as well as any other class, move into a class you dont mind dropping cash into. Remember ANY hobby is expensive if you want to be competitve and win.
If you just want to run and hang with the guys thats fine, you can then control your spending and have fun, however if your desire is to finish top three, well that will require some commitment and expenditure of money.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

I think the wording is to regulate body rules and not to get rid of it. If not, then everyone will just all use the same cheese wedge bodies.

Ever driven a 4wd touring with a broken front belt/ring gear? It's not fun. If anybody that would have done this, it would be Tamiya. But they decided to stick to the 4wd platform even if the real car was RWD. Heck even the new mini bodies like the S800 is meant to be used on the M05.

I think there is a reason why 2wd is reserved for pan cars.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

All this talk of different classes makes me wanna go race the classes we have already.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
Spec class. One chassis, one motor, one servo, one type of tire, one type of esc..
The only way you can realize this is if everyone uses the tamiya XB series, runs whatever it came with, and lock the cars up at the track so no can "modify" it. Well even then, whoever is the lucky one that gets a good silver can will have some edge.

btw that pic at the beginning is old. look at the speedo! I remember running my RC10 with street tires back in the days.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
Boring...Spec classes this restrictive often die fast. People enjoy hopping up their cars, racing different chassis types together, and such. In short people enjoy diversity more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.