Wiki Posts
Search

Which car to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Which car to choose?

I am thinking to get TC4 RTR and upgrade it later on with BL motor. I think I will never race so this is more car than I need. Is there any less of car that would perform well or more bang for the bucks?

(I already own B4 & T4, started with RTR kits too)

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

sounds like ur pretty set in ur choice. a choice that as described, makes sense. but be careful when u say things like 'will never race it'

those other words 'i think' are quite dangerous.

R
Old 12-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
sounds like ur pretty set in ur choice. a choice that as described, makes sense. but be careful when u say things like 'will never race it'

those other words 'i think' are quite dangerous.

R
+1
Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think for some people they prefer to bash around than to race. They play for fun chasing one another....
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

tc4 rtr good choice
Old 12-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toh WL
I think for some people they prefer to bash around than to race. They play for fun chasing one another....
+1

I haven't entered a race since I was 12 years old. Back then, I thought practice days were not worth going to since you don't get a plaque/trophy or a "DNF" next to your name at the end of the day

But now that I'm ALOT older, I can't handle racing anymore. It's too intense, I like to work on my car and put it down on the track at my own pace. I love bashing. I love using racing-grade stuff for bashing, since if you're gonna bash, might as well bash with a race-worthy machine...

But yeah, the itch to enter a race is starting to get to me, I'm starting to shop around for some AMB PTs to put into my car. I think once I get one, then it's off to the races!

Racing is fun, it teaches you about doing things within a time frame, good sportsmanship (for most folks anyways, there are some that gets worked up), and having good social skills (swapping secrets with fellow pit mates, and borrowing/giving parts that a fellow pit mate needs). With a 12-year-old's budget, lots of sponsored guys used to kick me down with electric motors since they saw I was running my motors til the comm and brushes were nearly burned up...

But yeah, as ultegrasti is suggesting, it's true, you'll get into it thinking you'll only bash, but then, you start getting curious on how you are doing with lap times once you start hearing other people's AMB PT's beeping every lap...
Old 12-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

O yea... I started with this hobby like 5 years ago with nitro trucks but never really got hooked onto it because doing high speed runs and messing around in your backyard or street can only get so fun.... Once I set a car down on the track and ran it with other drivers... I didnt care that I'd start off in the back of the pack, knowing that I have something to work towards (1st place) was the fun part... a tc4 is an easy choice... if you have no tracks around you then by all means throw down for the AE... but if you do have a track near you i'd suggest stopping by check out the atmosphere and take note or better yet talk to the guys about what cars there running... whatever the low end of the selection is start off with that.... I have not run the tc4 but everyone I have talked to steered me away from it from the getgo as far as racing it went and price wise.. you can get plenty or racer cars for that price and build up on it in due time... good luck with your search
Old 12-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

I have found this article:

http://sweetjumps.com/110-scale-touring-cars/

Since I will run it brushless and some kits are suprisigly cheaper than RTR, I think I should consider them as well, namely: Cyclone S, Tamiya TA-05, HPI Sprint

Decisions, decisions, decisions...I need to do little bit more homework.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

My homework:

*** TC4 RTR - still like. To do: do parts cost more than the others?

*** Cyclone S - liked it, now confused:

Originally Posted by joe of loath
very fragile, especially the hubs and rear chassis. you can correct it, but it costs. If you're looking at the S, stick with a sprint 2 or look at the TA05. it comes as a kit too
*** Tamiya - don't like: "all" is discontinued and I am confused about all that TA/TB/TC - 01/02/99 etc...it is overwhelming for me at this point to even think about Tamiya. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...php?main-id=30

*** HPI Sprint - seems to be couple years "old" but not too popular given not too much posts about it here? Is that for a reason?

Found this to be a concern:

Originally Posted by airwoods
One thing that really bugged me was the amount of play the steering had which made the car wander a bit and when i went to order a rear suspension mount that was bent from being rear ended at a race,was told it was discontinued,so i bent it back with a hammer sold it as a roller
Just added:

*** OFNA JL10e - interesting, need more reading about it.

Last edited by ozvena; 12-06-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 AM

honestly if u want somethin to tinker with, run around for fun, and even hit the track and do so w/o feeling outta place. a used xray (t2 (often called a 006), 007, or 008) can be had very inexpensive and far exceeds the cars listed in post above. only that cyclone IMO is worth consideration. since its low low price (125bux), its ability to match up to parts for high end cyclones, and tub chassis so its ok for all surfaces. also possible to consider a previous version cyclone (hara, surikarn, etc)

choice is yours, pick ur poison. but 1 thing is for sure. havin a car to run around and enjoy is far superior to turnin urself inside out and posting on here tryin to figure out which 1 to get.

R
Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Where do you see cyclone for $125?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

im really new to anything on-road, but i do have an ofna jl-10e on the way, from what i've read it looks to be an contender for racing in this price range so i am assuming it would be a decent basher also, i am planning on using mine for an rcgt class . . .
Old 12-06-2009, 08:47 AM

125 at speedtech, but he raised his to 140 outta stock.

however,

ultimate hobbies has it for 129 and free shipping

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...=HBS66446!1007
Old 12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for your help! Cyclone it is then..