Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
beginner and 2wd 1:10 World GT >

beginner and 2wd 1:10 World GT

beginner and 2wd 1:10 World GT

Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Default beginner and 2wd 1:10 World GT

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into buying a rc electric car and after doing some looking around I stumbled upon the 2wd 1:10 World GT 13.5 class, Pro-10 19T and 4WD 27T.
I started to search for a car and came across the following cars:
  • Associated RC10R5 for 2WD
  • CRC GenX10 for Pro-10
  • Hot Bodies Cyclone TC for 4WD

But my question is would the World GT class be a good starting class or will this car (being a 2wd) with a 13.5 be too much for a beginner and shoud I just go with the either the pro-10 or 4WD 27T

Thanks for your opinion
Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My selfish inclination is to tell you to go with a Speed Merchant World GT, as the cars are easy to tune, and a blast to drive. However, it would do you no good to get this chassis if the local track doesn't have the class to race in.

My better advise would be to go to the local track where you plan to race and ask around to find out what class is strong from week to week. You may find that 12th scale has a bigger following, and enough people to ask questions, and doesn't cost as much as a sedan.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the quick reply.

That was actually the first thing I did, I went on the website of the nearest club and found out that they do race the World GT class and 1/12th . My concern is that maybe the 2wd car with a 13.5 motor would be too much car for me.

As for 1/12th...I really like this class, I like the 1/12th cars alot but read somewhere that they tend to go really really fast and that it would be better for a beginner to stay away from them until you build up the skill to handle one of those, so that's why I started looking at the 1:10 World GT class.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The WGT cars would be very good. Especially if they are going with LiPo batteries to power them instead of the NiMh batteries. The Lipo has a little less acceleration speed than the LiPo's do.

As for what kit to get, what does the local hobby shop sell? Do they stock parts? If they do, look at those ones first. There is no "best", just what works for you easier.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

as you are from the netherlands, wich club are you refering too? If it is the Mach indoor track in Haarlem then i can inform you we don't drive with world GT rules (4Cell or 1S lipo) Our rules for indoor are 200mm pancar 2S lipo or 6 cells with 13.5t. The second club race has just been raced almost 2 weeks ago.

On the Mach outdoor circuit in Heemstede during the summer season we drive pancars with a maximum width of 235mm (pro10) with 2S lipo or 6 cells and a 10.5t . .

edit:
For indoor the 13.5t might be too fast for a beginner.. If you are a beginner then i should wait a little before you drive club races and first train some weeks and get the hang of the circuit. You can always put a milder motor in to get the feeling for it. If you are refering to the Mach and if you are interested in pancars then hop by and we can have a chat.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 12-04-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
as you are from the netherlands, wich club are you refering too? If it is the Mach indoor track then i can inform you we don't drive with world GT rules (4Cell or 1S lipo) Our rules for indoor are 200mm pancar 2S lipo or 6 cells with 13.5t. The second club race has just been raced almost 2 weeks ago.

On the Mach during the summer season we drive pancars with a maximum width of 235mm (pro10) with 2S lipo or 6 cells and a 10.5t . .
Yes I was refering to Mach in Heemstede.
If that's the case then the Associated RC10R5 would be out of the question because it only accepts 4Cell..or am I totally wrong with that assumption??
So now it's either the Speed Merchant World GT or a CRC GenX10.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

with some rebuild and some extra parts the rc10r5 can except 2s lipo. It has been done already.

Brands like Corally, CRC, BMI, Associated (after a little bit of work) and some other brands can hold 2s lipo.

The speedmerchant worldGT can't hold 2s lipo. The chassis is specificly designed for sub c cells even the 7.4 version has two times 1s lipo cutouts wich probably don't fit a 2S saddlepack.

If you go for a corally or crc gen-x then you can easily switch from 200mm for indoor to 235mm for outdoor. It has been designed like that. The corally and crc are very good cars and are being used in our races with good results.

If you go with a corally or crc then you can easily copy setups and it will not be too difficult to get the car up and running.

Last edited by 2wdrive; 12-04-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Red face

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
The Lipo has a little less acceleration speed than the LiPo's do.
huh???????????
Old 12-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sorry, Lipo's have less than the NiMh's do.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Being a 10r5 owner myself these cars are not that fast because of the 3.7v limitaion, I know some are running 10.5 with 1s lipo and that is the mod class.

The associated car and the Gen X look a little more advanced than the Speed Merchant but I know it drives just as well, I just like the way the 10r5 is setup, and the only part I have broken on my chassis is a side link and I think I just had the strapping tape on the wrong side of the link and also a front bumper but that was due to a snipped servo wire that let loose as well as my car off of the straight resulting into an obliterated bumper.

All and all WGT is a blast but if know is running the class I would go with the Cyclone TC for it is a GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRREAAAAT car to drive. The parts are on a luxury car price list but it is pretty strong especially if you can find the older style arms for the Worlds or Hara edition.

My .2C
Old 12-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

that is why we drive with 2s lipo instead of 1s over here. 2s with 13,5t is fast enough for indoor and for outdoor we use 10.5t. That way we can use the same batteries for indoor and outdoor instead of having different batteries laying around for different seasons.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default CRC GENX 10 FAN

I have owned my CRC GENX10 for about 8 months now and I LOVE IT. When I was running outdoor this past summer, I started with a 2cell 10.5 package and it was a rocketship. There were no modifications needed for a 2cell setup.

When we moved indoors for the winter, on a smaller track, the conversion to 1cell was a breeze, and to make up for the lack of voltage, added a Novak smart boost and am very happy with it.

I prefer the CRC chassis layout, with the battery installation front to back, as opposed to side to side on all the others. The car is durable, easy to set up, and a blast to drive.

You might pay a little more for tires initially. DO NOT LET THIS DETER YOU!!! 1/12th scale tires have shown to wear more over time than 1/10 scale pan car tires. I believe this is do to the comparison of tire diameter and width. Some days at the track with my 1/10 scale , after hitting the track up to 10 times, I don't even notice any wear on my rear tires and only slight wear on my fronts. 1/12th scale tires will sometimes only last ONE race day, from new to trash. Your 1/12 car, I believe, needs more adjustment over the course of the day because of the tire wear. You need to constantly monitor your ride height and rollout.

World GT seems to be the growing class and I am doing everything I can to keep things growing at my track here in the US. Good luck and I hope you enjoy yourself no matter what you decide.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Having raced World Gt before it was called World Gt, I would get a Corally since your in Europe.If you were here is the USA I would get a Darkside
I Force. I've driven against most of the brands for over a year+ now and just purchased an I Force.My friend just recently converted my chassis to a links version with the battery down the middle.Works great but I'm retiring the chassis.
Since your just starting out- I learned by racing 1/12th. By driving this class it will help you in the long run. As it is quick and requires good reflexes. A 1/10th scale are is easier to drive, after learning to drive a 1/12th.Either way go out and have some fun with what ever you decide to race and don't be afraid to ask for help for others.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
The speedmerchant worldGT can't hold 2s lipo. The chassis is specificly designed for sub c cells even the 7.4 version has two times 1s lipo cutouts wich probably don't fit a 2S saddlepack.
not true

Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

some time ago but i can't see the pic

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.