Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the best bl motor for 17.5 carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default Whats the best bl motor for 17.5 carpet

I am currently running a sp lpf speed control with a sp13.5 but the club has decided to change to a 17.5 class. I was compeditively fast, but the progamable speed controls (ko) and adjustable timing motors (duo2, tekin) were noticably faster no matter how I geared. I am going to buy a 17.5 and am considering the x-12 but now I see that sp has a v.3 out and I thought about staying with sp but I havent heard any feedback on it. And is the esc the secret of the lack of speed, is that what I need to invest in and if so, which one? We are running med bite carpet rubber tire sedan.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gwoodrc
I am currently running a sp lpf speed control with a sp13.5 but the club has decided to change to a 17.5 class. I was compeditively fast, but the progamable speed controls (ko) and adjustable timing motors (duo2, tekin) were noticably faster no matter how I geared. I am going to buy a 17.5 and am considering the x-12 but now I see that sp has a v.3 out and I thought about staying with sp but I havent heard any feedback on it. And is the esc the secret of the lack of speed, is that what I need to invest in and if so, which one? We are running med bite carpet rubber tire sedan.
The ESC is the secret. I can get power out of any brushless motor using the timing boost and turbo boost in my Tekin RS. For motors I prefer the Novak Ballistic series.

The cheapest "fast adjustable timing" ESC's are the Tekin RS ($159) and the Mamba Max Pro+ ($149). Then the LRP SPX ($189), Team Wave RB50 ($189), KO VFS-1/1.5 ($199) Then the current fastest 1s, but not sure about 2s AE Black Diamond ($350ish). On the way in early 2010 you have the Team wave RB-S, LRP SXX Stock, and the Novak Kinetic (all $200ish)

So, find a motor brand you like that has adjustable mechanical timing, get a speedo that is competitive (preferably with software update capability). And go find the fast setup for your track.

My personal setup is Novak Ballistic 17.5 at 35° timing + Tekin RS v200-Vegas 20 Boost 20 Turbo .2 Delay. 5.0FDR (90ft strait). It's FAST!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default tekin

The tekin rs is a great way to go way easier to program than novak. I run a novak ss and its been great for the $$$ There is no more performance out of the ballistic motors that i've seen. Or you could just run all tekin if you have the money
Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WOW! Imagine that. Someone asks a question about motors, everyone pipes up with their speedo preference!!! Nothing changes

I've been doin some looking to find a good motor myself, as I've been out of racing for the last two years. Best one Ive borrowed so far was the DUO 17.5, curently connected to a borrowed SXX, but also works well with my Sphere.

I do agree with the above, about the motor needing to have adj timing.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

I would get a Speed Passion V3 17.5. O yeah, I did. Newest out by them and I will have one soon to try too. Seeing how you also have a SP esc it would be fitting. It has adjustable timing so if you dont have a ESC with timing boost then you can gear it up and set the timing you want.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dsrbltoys
WOW! Imagine that. Someone asks a question about motors, everyone pipes up with their speedo preference!!! Nothing changes
It's because it's not about motors any more. It's ESC wars!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dsrbltoys

I've been doin some looking to find a good motor myself, as I've been out of racing for the last two years. Best one Ive borrowed so far was the DUO 17.5, curently connected to a borrowed SXX, but also works well with my Sphere.

I do agree with the above, about the motor needing to have adj timing.
Well said.

I agree that you can't beat the DUO's 1 or 2. As soon as I bolted one in my car I have had as much power as anyone. They also win more races than other brands which is more proof than opinions. As far as brands go I like to support the nice people at Fantom or Express Motorsports.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Thanks, this is the kinda feedback I was looking for. If I get another esc I'm leanig toward the ko or the tekin, how is the tekin as far as easy to progam without a laptop, as no one in my area has a tekin?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

really need a laptop for the tekin