Wiki Posts
Search

The Quantum2 or GT7 - Help !! quick

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Default The Quantum2 or GT7 - Help !! quick

Help please

My order for a Novak GT7 has shipped, I just can't make up my mind, I'm thinking of returning it when it arrives and placing an order for a LRP Quantum2.

I race Stock and want to get a VERY GOOD ESC in terms of power and reliability. Money not really an issue. I've looked at both for a while, what do you racers use and think is the ultimate

My biggest concern with the GT7 is the Chemical warning that causes cancer plastered on the product

How Now !!! eish
Old 03-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Regional Moderator

The only reason that sticker is on there is because the law requires it even if the chemical was used in the manufacture of the part and the manufacturer cannot prove behind a shadow of a doubt that it has been completely removed from the product prior to shipping. This not true for all states though. California seems to be the most strict.

before you get too worked up about that, think about all the other chemicals you are using in this hobby and around the house. Does your solder contain lead? Are you using traction compound? Motor spray? Lighter fluid? Acetone, Mek, gasoline for your real car, etc etc. There are so many chemicals out there that will cause cancer in the right doseage, the odds that the small amounts present in the esc doing you in are slim to none. Especially since the case is sealed.

Not saying you shouldn't be carefull what you expose yourself to. Only you can make that decision. Just trying to add some reality to the situation.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i love all 3 of my GT7's i dont see why you wouldn't want one
Old 03-01-2004, 03:06 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Petzl

Yes I do understand that there are numerous products that contain many "potentially" harmful chemicals. My concern is that few products actually bluntly display a sticker like. I take as much care as I can when working with RC or any other products anyway

I live in South Africa, and this country is also strict about these sort of things, however, GT7 amongst other products are freely available at hobby shops anyway. The GT7 and Q2 are about 30% less when importing it, incl local TAX and shipping than my LHS
However, could you shed some light on my other dilemma, LRP Q2 or GT7.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Tech Regular

Don't get fooled by the adverts of certain company's. Take a look at your local track and go with what the fast guys are using.
I can honestly say that LRP is not an option for me because their esc's feel like an on/off switch. Try using that with an 8 single!
I've been using Novak products for over 10 years now and haven't had any trouble with them so far. I'll probably be using Novak for the remainder of my "carreer"

Regards
Old 03-01-2004, 03:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Hardriven RC
Don't get fooled by the adverts of certain company's. Take a look at your local track and go with what the fast guys are using.
I can honestly say that LRP is not an option for me because their esc's feel like an on/off switch. Try using that with an 8 single!
I've been using Novak products for over 10 years now and haven't had any trouble with them so far. I'll probably be using Novak for the remainder of my "carreer"

Regards
Most racers here are using all sorts of stuff, like always, South Africa seems to be the dumping site for so many outdated equipment and electronics.

Most guys run older LRPs and few GT7 and a few use Nosram. I also use Nosram. This is why I opted to ask the question internationally. Of interest, Nosram is owned by LRP. The new Nosram Dominator Evolution and the LRP Q2 is almost identical. Both are waterproof ??

The only reason why I'm not opting for a Nosram is that I can't import it from anywhere. Locally it would cost around $260, where as the GT7 is $150 all costs included when imported. The diffence is way too much, I'd rather spend $110 on hop ups etc.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if you use traction compound... don't bother even thinking about the novak sticker.

Paul
Old 03-01-2004, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Lonestar
if you use traction compound... don't bother even thinking about the novak sticker.

Paul
I speak under correction, RC racing in South Africa is governed by a legal body and no form of traction compound is used on any of their affiliated clubs, tracks or races.

But forget the chemical issue now, the entire earth is clogged with poison anyway, should I keep my GT7 that will arrive soon or get a Quantum 2. Which one is better,

My electric stuff for superstock: TA04/Monster Horsepower pro/P2k2 pro/Jaco foams/Epic Binary Outlaw/Nosram International
Old 03-01-2004, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

GT7 is a great esc for shipping to and from Novak service.

Get an LRP...
Old 03-01-2004, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

I havent heard before, that LRP should feel like on/off switches. It might just be me, but personal, I think both LRP and Novak makes great products and have good service, so simply choose the one, that teases you the most.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I havent heard before, that LRP should feel like on/off switches. It might just be me, but personal, I think both LRP and Novak makes great products and have good service, so simply choose the one, that teases you the most.
Okay, I've put Novak to the test and asked about the chemicals warning. If they reply via-email within 48 hours, the GT7 is sold. For info: In my books two companies really stand-out in terms of providing feedback, replacements and service, Towerhobbies and AE

Lets see if Novak can beat Towerhobbies' 8 hours e-mail reply and confirmation, considering I live in South Africa and a time-delay of 8 hours between the two zones

Thanks guys/gals
Old 03-01-2004, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I agree with dr_hfuhuhurr I have NEVER heard or seen a esc smoke sooo much in my life locally and at big events.
At the Losi Race last year I went through 3 of them and after talking to Novak Tech's they told me to install 7 yes count them 7 shotky diode's.That is just rediculous.
I have smoked a total of 8 and wont own another one.
Notice the team driver's dont even run them anymore?They are running a new PROTOTYPE esc?
The LRP WILL feel like full power depending on what setting your running.The new Comp 2 is a lil different but most people cant even feel it.
The LRP has setting's to smooth it out and it's been a great esc.
My question to you is this esc for offroad or onroad?
If you saying weight is a issue think about all the EXTERNALS the novak has.
I live and die by the keyence and V7.1's and think it's the best esc produced.Fits in most sedans and is the esc of choice in offroad.If you want punch in stock go with the SR but when using it in mod you HAVE to use the limiter chips.
The GT7's are smooth but a ball of fire.I havent heard soooo many nitemare's with 1 particular esc in my life.
If a novak fan go with a Cyclone TC2 or C2.
Also check out Keyence.Thats the best esc I have touched in most of my cars followed a close 2nd by the LRP V7.1.
P.S.I have tried them ALL.lol
Old 03-01-2004, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Hmmm. You might be right about GT7's burning up. On the other hand, it's not THAT long ago, that people keeped on claiming, that Quantums version one, went up in smoke.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Tex...one question for you though. Why did you wait to burn 7 of them before trashing it? LOL! I went through 3 GT7's and 2 Cyclones before I was done.

What really ticked me off was sending a Cyclone back to Novak for service and getting not one but two back that had the SAME PROBLEM I sent it in for.

LRP, or GM (I'm actually going to try the SX12) is where I'd go. I know a lot of guys who really like the KO esc's as well.

Blake
Old 03-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

I own 2 GT7's and both perform and operate flawlessly. I wouls definately recomend you keep yours. Novak has excellent customer service as well. If someone is frying alot of equipment and a large number of others are using it without any problems I would consider the problem to be the user not the tool. Anything will break if you abuse it enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.