Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The motor that could change RC, or save it. >

The motor that could change RC, or save it.

The motor that could change RC, or save it.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:25 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default The motor that could change RC, or save it.

The 25.5.

So many classes that still run 540s have long begged for a solution to the issue. Others still suggest that cars are way too fast and turning new folks, kids and their parents, and even the hobbyist away from the thing we all enjoy.

Who also wants to buy a brushed speedo anymore for a 'can' class. F1, TT01, GT3, VTA, Mini M03/04 folks....are you listening? Perhaps basis for a entry level touring class along with its 21.5 sister?

IMO its a good thing.

Discuss

R
Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

A silvercan and a suitable ESC comes in almost every Tamiya kit - some of which cost barely any more than that motor alone.

Victory to the silvercan.

For those that want to run brushless, there are already suitable "slow" brushless motors, and suitable classes.

You will never get true equivalency between brushed and brushless so there is no point trying.

For cheap racing, yet another class based around a premium-priced brushless motor system is not the answer.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Another problem is the "one manufacturer" issue. If it's only available from Novak people will complain. If you let others make it they will claim that theirs is "faster."

The problem is not with the equipment. The problem is with the racers.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
The problem is with the insecure racers.
Fixed.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
For cheap racing, yet another class based around a premium-priced brushless motor system is not the answer.
That works fine until $45 tuned silvercans are introduced.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I like this. You only have to buy ONE motor. Ever. Blow it up, thats your fault.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

You think brushless is turning off people?

I dare someone to try and start a brushed class again. The tricks are abundant with a brushed motor.

$45 dollar silver can ?.... LOL! depending on how much your time is worth in dollars per hour.

I don't see the motor as being the problem and racers will do what ever it takes to go faster than the next guy. Right now the "war" is with the ESC's. We are right back to where we were in 1997 with lap top programable units.

There is a whole new learning curve with brushless motors and the ESC programs that run them. That is where the frustration is coming from that I see.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

only hassle i see with this motor is having the ability to gear the car properlyseeing a undergeared brushless can overheat it just as much as overgearing it.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm sorry, but what exactly are those silver cans that comes with the Tamiyas? What turn and type of winding (22x2? 22x1?)...

I've always thought the Mabuchi motors were a 27 single, with round magnet wires (not ribbon wire) stock motors?

I was also told that the Mabuchi motor that comes with the Buggy Champ 2009 kit is a different one?

Well, I for one don't think the cost of it will be an issue.

The Novak Ballistic motors are high quality stuff, but if a class exist, it won't be long before low-priced, high-volume, giants like Hobbywing steps in and starts to crank out some 25.5T brushless with speedos attached...
Old 11-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the 25.5 is a good thing for the classes that are currently running silver cans. Those who have actually run a silver can class know that these are not always created equal. Matter of fact, you can pay big bucks to get a "tuned" version of these motors from a couple of motor guys.

I don't think that 25.5 is the answer for any of the normal onroad classes though. The dirt guys have no problems getting new racers (and a lot of kids) to start racing. Some tracks even have a novice class to get these kids started.

There are so many reasons other than the motors and speeds that keep new people from racing onroad. The motors just aren't the major problem here.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Brushed motors were why I always raced nitro.

We've never had much for onroad around here, but now that brushless is reasonable, lipos are more reliable (from my personal experience) than NiMH packs, lathes aren't needed... etc. I'm racing electric!

Heck, I could even afford to run Mod class now!

As far as this being the answer to silver-can classes, I doubt it would work. The classes where a silver-can would be practical all include vehicles that would come with one of those motors anyway. And how many of us don't have like 4 sitting around the house? I could water-dip all 4 and pick the best, then have a lifetime supply of motors afterwards!

Readers Digest version: A neat idea, but unnecessary IMHO.

-Eric
Old 11-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 42 (96%+)

I dont think its worth the price. A little high dont you think
Old 11-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
The Novak Ballistic motors are high quality stuff, but if a class exist, it won't be long before low-priced, high-volume, giants like Hobbywing steps in and starts to crank out some 25.5T brushless with speedos attached...
Agreed, right now HW dominates the low cost BL systems category. They're darn reliable too and are programmable. If anything their low cost "380" motors are more likely to become the next entry level standard. Funny but you could probably replace that Novak Ballistic with HW's 32T 1200kv motor which btw only costs $25.

$100 motors are not going to bring in more people, it's going to scare them away.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

For F1, Mini's etc..

Handout marked/engraved silvercans are still far more sensible imo.
No ESC magic and far less $$. If someone looks too fast trade their motor to the slowest driver.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:59 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

wasnt pointin to the 100bux for a novak as much as the winding of 25.5, i'd hope for us all and the hobby that it gets picked up by more folks just like 21.5

R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.