Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TeamNovak's "Build-A-Ballistic"™ Program

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

NovakTwo/Steve: how 'bout a dark blue sleeve as well? the light blue one's on the list match up more to the tamiya blue .... somthing along the lines of AE/Yokomo dark blue would be cool!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by pakk
So if you don't get ceramic bearings(they are an additional $5 on top of the $10 over a normal ballistic) and lets just say you pick an orange sleeve, what is the extra $10 for?
These are not production motors; they are customized based on each individual order. If you just need one of our standard Ballistic motors, there is no need to order through this program. All but one of our initial B-A-B orders included ceramic bearings.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi Steve/Novak2, need your assistance to check if this program is available in Malaysia?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Toh WL
Hi Steve/Novak2, need your assistance to check if this program is available in Malaysia?
There are no shipping restrictions for this program.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Kudos to Novak for this new product...it makes sense!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I second that. Just had an urge to run some modified and found out that for just $32.99 I can buy any wind for my existing Ballistic motor. Kudos to Novak!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
These are not production motors; they are customized based on each individual order. If you just need one of our standard Ballistic motors, there is no need to order through this program. All but one of our initial B-A-B orders included ceramic bearings.
when you say custom, are you just referring to colors and sensor wire length?

If I order a BAB with a 17.5 stator, 12.3mm rotor, and standard bearings, will it perform the same as a standard 17.5 ballistic?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Company Representative

when you say custom, are you just referring to colors and sensor wire length?

If I order a BAB with a 17.5 stator, 12.3mm rotor, and standard bearings, will it perform the same as a standard 17.5 ballistic?
Each order allows the customer choices in 5 separate categories: wound stators (16), bearings (2), rotors (3), harnesses (3), sleeves (5). Therefore, each special order is different than our production motors. For example, there are 7 wound stators offered here that we do not include in the standard Ballistic motors we sell.

If you want a regular Ballistic motor wind that we offer through distribution, there is no need to order through this program; our existing motors will perform exactly the same as one built to order.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Each order allows the customer choices in 5 separate categories: wound stators (16), bearings (2), rotors (3), harnesses (3), sleeves (5). Therefore, each special order is different than our production motors. For example, there are 7 wound stators offered here that we do not include in the standard Ballistic motors we sell.

If you want a regular Ballistic motor wind that we offer through distribution, there is no need to order through this program; our existing motors will perform exactly the same as one built to order.
That is what I am trying to clarify. From reading some of the posts in this thread, it seems that some of us(maybe it is just me) are under the assumption that the BAB motors are better than the normal ballistic motors.

--pakk
Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Company Representative

That is what I am trying to clarify. From reading some of the posts in this thread, it seems that some of us(maybe it is just me) are under the assumption that the BAB motors are better than the normal ballistic motors.

--pakk
I have never claimed they were better. If you add a light stator, tuning rotor. ceramic bearings, etc., the motor you order may be "better" for your particular application.

Maybe I do not understand what you mean by "better"? These motors are assembled by the same individuals who build our production motors.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scottrik
1.5R motor...isn't that called "dead short in a can"?

I'm sorry, but the concern I get with this "Build a Ballistic" program is that the premise pretty much confirms that (if they haven't been already) Novak plan to hi-grade their rotors and set aside the best ones for the BaB program at higher cost. That leaves the less "peachy" rotors for all of us, so you don't even get the "lottery effect" of possibly getting the high end ones. In fact the odds increase that you'll get one of the "punk" rotors because I'll make a bet they're not weeding the crappy ones out.

I'm certainly open to being educated on this matter, but it has been a concern to me since I first read about the program. I've been working on converting my Novak SS motors over to the Ballistics and have been happy with them thus far, but the idea that the better rotors are being hi-graded out frustrates me and makes me re-think my allegiance.
Originally Posted by ChristopherKee
The normal rotors come from their distributor already magnetized. The graded 1300+ rotors that come at an (around $8) premium are actually magnetized in house.

Prior to this recent batch Novak demagnetized the normal rotors then rezaped them for the graded 1300+ program. They now are able to purchase non magnetized rotors from the distributor and zap them in house.

So, they are not just cherry picking through the rotors and putting the best aside. All rotors that go into the Ballistic motors meet the QC specs and are of highest quality. And running many LHS purchased Ballistics, I can say they have all been pretty darn consistent =)
Originally Posted by Scottrik
Not that I doubt you in any way but if a representative of Novak can go on record with that information my concern obviously goes away.
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
ACTUALLY, with regard to the grading of rotors: I believe it was discussed that a certain number of rotors would be graded and of those, the better rotors would be set aside to be used for accessories... so when you buy a rotor you are more apt to get a good rotor than being dissapointed.

But that being said, all of our rotors and motors are tested to ensure that they meet certain benchmarks... we have no intention of selling duds or withholding good product from customers. Generally speaking, you are just as likely to get a 1300 rotor in a motor as a replacement rotor.

The Build a Ballistic Program just gives people the option to get a "customized" motor at a reasonable price... this does not mean that if you want a 13.5 with standard bearings and with a purple sleeve on it that it's going to remarkably different than a standard production motor with the orange sleeve on it... it's just going to give the customer the option of getting it and not having track down the parts and do it themselves.
I have never claimed they were better. If you add a light stator, tuning rotor. ceramic bearings, etc., the motor you order may be "better" for your particular application.

Maybe I do not understand what you mean by "better"? These motors are assembled by the same individuals who build our production motors.
Never said you said it. Just read those quotes. There seemed to be a little confusion.

You cleared it up.

All ballistics are equal, BAB or not.

And don't get me wrong here. I entirely support the ballistic program as a whole. I got 2 complete motors, 3 extra stators, 1 sensor, 2 hardware kits, and 1 tuned rotor. The idea of being able to replace any part of the motor and get another wind for $40 is genius. In the end, you save me money and keep me racing.

There was just a little confusion. I wanted it clear.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

--pakk
u order a porsche n wanted them in pink colour with their painted yellow brake calipers (USD5000 option but still perform the same just a little customized)... lambo n ferrarrrri do the same...

not trying to be offending but it's a customization program... build it to ur spec... some ppl anodize their mi4 to black n some ppl deanodize their t2009... well, they still perform the same, it's just what they prefer... i like mine in orange with ceramic bearing + 1300 rotor too if i'm looking for a new motor... hope u can understand this easier...

btw, nice to see novak add 11.5T motor too...
Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I would like to order a 13.5 motor for 1/12 scale what rotor would you suggest?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by gijoe64
I would like to order a 13.5 motor for 1/12 scale what rotor would you suggest?
Our standard 12.3mm rotor.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What will a 13mm rotor do for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.