TeamNovak's "Build-A-Ballistic"™ Program

TeamNovak's "Build-A-Ballistic"™ Program

Old 11-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

I would like to see a red coloured motor sleeve, to match my top photon
Old 11-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Do you guys offer a "build a spec" class setup? Reason I ask is that there seems to be a discussion on the issue of ESCs with different capabilities being used versus a more cheap overall racing program.

would novak be interested in coming up with something along these lines? Like combine the Novak RMF Havok and one of your RMF motors for a cheaper cost than buying separate?

Tracks can then just have customers buy that specific setup and be all set.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Company Representative

We already offer 2 affordable systems featuring our Havoc 2S controller with full, on-board programming:

Havoc Sport Sensored Brushless System - 8.5 (139.99)

Havoc Spec Sensored Brushless Systems (4 winds) (149.99)

We introduced our Havoc series of budget systems over the summer. We have developed all of the elements of affordable racing systems for spec racing. So, it's not really the lack of equipment availability to "level the playing field"; it's more the lack of decision making on the part of series coordinators/track owner/race directors.

There is a genuine need in this industry to establish novice (only) spec classes that would be inviting to beginners, "returners", or inexperienced racers---new customers!!---who are scared off by the complexity and expense of the new BL technology.

The current cost of the 2 reman items you mention (Havoc 2S/ SS Pro motor) is $115.00; and our existing Sport system is $140.00 (link above). We might be able to offer (on-line, only) $129.99 spec wind combos, if there was enough demand. (Systems are wired together/tested, combos consist of the separate items.)
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Well DUH!!!

Racers always look for an advantage, whether it's just within the rules, or just outside. An example, ROAR had a rule for 2s lipo's where the max voltage for the pack was 8.40 volts, with a tolerance for differences in voltmeters of plus or minus .04 volts. How did the racers read that rule? The max voltage is 8.44 volts! And that's what everyone charges to (and a little over).

The more I think about this, the more this is the worst possible idea a motor manufacturer has ever come up with! Look at electric racing now. We have spec classes for 21.5, 17.5, 13.5, and 10.5 and there open for those brave enough. Now you're adding motors in between each of these, essentially adding more classes to an already diluted field. Let's say one club decides on running 15.5 ballistics. For their track it's fine, but if they ever wanted to travel to another track they have to buy another motor, or at least another stator. That makes tech a nightmare, and goes against the idea of no hybrid motors, which would explode the cost of electric racing.

I understand the thinking, but this has disaster written all over it.
Perfectlly said, just going to add MORE confusion to the new unwinding brushless teq. And to respond to the all this was offered before these motors, probally so, but at 90 for this 30 for thatetc...making it more cheaper, makes it more inticing, therefore more people are going to look at it. Got my attention,and honestlly no offense i never looked that far into the novak motors to see,ceramic bearings?etc...and every track i ever raced at is a ROAR track,minus one.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

NOVAK

BALISTIC 2.5R and 1.5R ?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by AdminD
NOVAK

BALISTIC 2.5R and 1.5R ?
Not on the drawing board. Other companies can offer those hot winds, not us.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

1.5R motor...isn't that called "dead short in a can"?

I'm sorry, but the concern I get with this "Build a Ballistic" program is that the premise pretty much confirms that (if they haven't been already) Novak plan to hi-grade their rotors and set aside the best ones for the BaB program at higher cost. That leaves the less "peachy" rotors for all of us, so you don't even get the "lottery effect" of possibly getting the high end ones. In fact the odds increase that you'll get one of the "punk" rotors because I'll make a bet they're not weeding the crappy ones out.

I'm certainly open to being educated on this matter, but it has been a concern to me since I first read about the program. I've been working on converting my Novak SS motors over to the Ballistics and have been happy with them thus far, but the idea that the better rotors are being hi-graded out frustrates me and makes me re-think my allegiance.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I'm sorry, but the concern I get with this "Build a Ballistic" program is that the premise pretty much confirms that (if they haven't been already) Novak plan to hi-grade their rotors and set aside the best ones for the BaB program at higher cost.
The normal rotors come from their distributor already magnetized. The graded 1300+ rotors that come at an (around $8) premium are actually magnetized in house.

Prior to this recent batch Novak demagnetized the normal rotors then rezaped them for the graded 1300+ program. They now are able to purchase non magnetized rotors from the distributor and zap them in house.

So, they are not just cherry picking through the rotors and putting the best aside. All rotors that go into the Ballistic motors meet the QC specs and are of highest quality. And running many LHS purchased Ballistics, I can say they have all been pretty darn consistent =)
Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For the record, I think this is a cool idea and a great way to improve on brushless.

Novak crew; don't let the negativity get to you. Hope it works out well for you all.

My take on all the concerns posted here? - Racers will push the limits no matter what the class or rules. This program changes nothing, just helps people by getting what they want (or what they percieve will give them an advantage)

We have a VTA class here that was designed to be a spec class. What happened? New $250 speedos, new batts, new motors, fresh tires to compete. All for an entry level class.

Gas racing is not different then electric. There will always be a new updated nitro motor or the pros who are breaking in entire batches of new motors 24/7 when they go to big races.

Racing is not fair, but brushless makes it easier and cheaper to go fast. If you want racing to be "equal" in every aspect you are dilusional, and you are missing the point of racing IMO.

anyway, that's my rant. bash away.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ChristopherKee
The normal rotors come from their distributor already magnetized. The graded 1300+ rotors that come at an (around $8) premium are actually magnetized in house.

Prior to this recent batch Novak demagnetized the normal rotors then rezaped them for the graded 1300+ program. They now are able to purchase non magnetized rotors from the distributor and zap them in house.

So, they are not just cherry picking through the rotors and putting the best aside. All rotors that go into the Ballistic motors meet the QC specs and are of highest quality. And running many LHS purchased Ballistics, I can say they have all been pretty darn consistent =)
Not that I doubt you in any way but if a representative of Novak can go on record with that information my concern obviously goes away.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Not that I doubt you in any way but if a representative of Novak can go on record with that information my concern obviously goes away.
Thud.

The silence is deafening.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TimPotter
So you make the assumption that MOST people will blatantly cheat.
And if that begins to become a trend at local tracks, it won't be long before the ballistic becomes a banned motor.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
The Evicerator

ACTUALLY, with regard to the grading of rotors: I believe it was discussed that a certain number of rotors would be graded and of those, the better rotors would be set aside to be used for accessories... so when you buy a rotor you are more apt to get a good rotor than being dissapointed.

But that being said, all of our rotors and motors are tested to ensure that they meet certain benchmarks... we have no intention of selling duds or withholding good product from customers. Generally speaking, you are just as likely to get a 1300 rotor in a motor as a replacement rotor.

The Build a Ballistic Program just gives people the option to get a "customized" motor at a reasonable price... this does not mean that if you want a 13.5 with standard bearings and with a purple sleeve on it that it's going to remarkably different than a standard production motor with the orange sleeve on it... it's just going to give the customer the option of getting it and not having track down the parts and do it themselves.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

So if you don't get ceramic bearings(they are an additional $5 on top of the $10 over a normal ballistic) and lets just say you pick an orange sleeve, what is the extra $10 for?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is a great idea for us RC street racers because we love to
personalize our rides. Do I have to choose from the available options
or can I have things really "custom made" like spiral flow can ribs in
anodized black, sand blasted finish ring, skewed stator with velocity light
windings in 10.5T, 12mm rotor with o-ring cushions, ceramic bearings, etc.

Im just dreaming. I dont think our LHS which is the distributor of Novak
stuff would accommodate this BAB program. I live in the Philippines so
we are constrained to what's available in the shop. Right now the choices
are Ballistic 4.5 and 17.5, the motor looks good but Ill be using it on an
XBR so I cant use a 4.5 and the 17.5 is too slow for me. It sucks but
I support the program.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.