Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should timing boost ESC's be legal for spec/stock classes? >

Should timing boost ESC's be legal for spec/stock classes?

Should timing boost ESC's be legal for spec/stock classes?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

In this Hobby we all discuss and no action! In the end we will deal with it and move on. Guys all this talk is just talk.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ses601
no, we shall not especially since that is not even close to what to what i believe my post intends.

let me explain part of it a little better for you...

turning laps is turning laps, it is NOT consistently trying for better laptimes, as in practice!

spec class is spec class, stock is not spec class. i think this is pretty simple, right?

also, i'll replace "level field" with field and all competitors perfectly equal, in every way - i still don't think this would be fun
in a true spec class as in your first post, it would be up to the driver, and that would be a blast, because you would need to "turn those laps" in order to become a better driver, and you will most times have someone faster to judge your skills against.

your 'replacement' post just isn't possible so its mute.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
yes thats what me and rest of the racers been doing, using my own knowledge to come up with a new own "trick" to go faster than others.

IMO set up or tuning is about having better (right) idea, not trick anyone.
And adjusting timing and or turbo is part of tuning...it's not a trick.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gijoe64
In this Hobby we all discuss and no action! In the end we will deal with it and move on. Guys all this talk is just talk.
That's right. If you want to win, you need both practice and $money$
Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
And adjusting timing and or turbo is part of tuning...it's not a trick.
waht is wrong with learn and understand how to adjuste a adjustable enbell on D/C brushless motor and or a brushless motor timing chnage with adjustable delay(aka turbo mode).???

I spent time to read and learn to come up with a trick??? to try in weekend on my car, isn't that what this hobby is all about?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Nothing...I agree with you. Except I don't consider it a trick but more as part of tuning.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Nothing...I agree with you. Except I don't consider it a trick but more as part of tuning.
oops I was wondering if you were sarcastic or not, whewn I clicked to post.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

and u wonder why folks are goin back to offroad and/or nitro.

R
Old 11-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Well all the same things hold true there as well, off road and nitro are no different when it comes to racers looking for every advantage they can get.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Limiting the timing on the esc's is BS.

1) Someone will always push the rules.
2) Tech won't inspect the cars timing.
3) As the tech wars go on, more esc manufactures will opt for this feature. So what will everyone try to regulate then?

So yes, timing features should be allowed!!!

If you want to run a true spec class, mandate all the same esc's, motors batteries and chassis'.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
in a true spec class as in your first post, it would be up to the driver, and that would be a blast, because you would need to "turn those laps" in order to become a better driver, and you will most times have someone faster to judge your skills against.

your 'replacement' post just isn't possible so its mute.
sorry about the sarcasm mistaken for a mute point

again, i'll simplify my point - spec class is spec class, stock is not spec class
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

idk what track u have, but offroad is far from put it to full turbo or profile 8 and forget it.

no1 at my track uses turbo and in fact most tekin runners run in dual mode to get power down to track. nitro guys are in same boat. all make too much power, wheelspin doesnt make u go faster, burns up tires, and wastes fuel. shocker.

when i heard onroad guys on top of their game are simply goin heavy/max timing and max boost and gearing nearly 2turns higher on FDR (5.3:1 in 17.5 !!!), and hoping their motor comes off at less than 180 or so. eck. rough stuff.

r
Old 11-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

okey.. so to continue on a slightly different bent (and I admit I haven't read all this thread)...

There is an easy way to get round the issue of advance timing esc's... ban sensored speedos in stock.

Forcing everyone to run sensorless would also slow down the cars a bit, and take away the apparent speedo wars... there is only so much the software can do in sensorless, and only so much motor timing that can be run too.

Won't happen, but it's a simple solution (and not my own I might add).

Discuss....
Old 11-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
okey.. so to continue on a slightly different bent (and I admit I haven't read all this thread)...

There is an easy way to get round the issue of advance timing esc's... ban sensored speedos in stock.

Forcing everyone to run sensorless would also slow down the cars a bit, and take away the apparent speedo wars... there is only so much the software can do in sensorless, and only so much motor timing that can be run too.

Won't happen, but it's a simple solution (and not my own I might add).

Discuss....
Has any speedo maker figured out how to drive a 17.5 motor sensorless without it cogging or having problems starting? I know Tekin and Mamba both tried, not sure if they every got it working perfectly.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hi, has anyone compared their laptime with using a good esc (w/o timing boost) then with an esc (w/ timing boost) and what was the result?

i would think for most racers it will not make a difference. and maybe for top racers worth 2/10s per lap at best on a 13 sec lap on 13.5T brushless?

maybe more time can be gained by tuning the car rather than worrying about escs that provide marginal advance (if you are a good enough driver to take advantage of it)

just my personal opinion, these new escs make no difference to the average club racers like myself. it will not make me faster.

thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.