Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question to racers about lap traffic

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There have been times I felt pressured and have let people through and then there was this time I felt no pressure at all. I guess then what I'm trying to say without being an a-hole is why race? If and when every time a car gets behind should you just let them pass?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:54 PM
RHH
Tech Apprentice

Default Lap traffic

I've seen some pretty good advice here. Be patient, and pass on the inside when the lap traffic goes wide. In time it will be second nature. Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonyK
There have been times I felt pressured and have let people through and then there was this time I felt no pressure at all. I guess then what I'm trying to say without being an a-hole is why race? If and when every time a car gets behind should you just let them pass?
if its not for position then yes. if for position then no. sometimes people are running the same lap times as the fast guys only because they are not letting the fast guys by and the fast guy isn't making an effort to pass.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

So, I am suppose to purposely slow down my car let him catch up and pass me even though I was in a fight for position. He wasn't right behind me. I can see if it he was right on my tail but he wasn't. I had to slow down for him to get by. I have no problem giving a spot up for someone but I had to go out of my way to get him around me.

Originally Posted by or8ital
if its not for position then yes. if for position then no. sometimes people are running the same lap times as the fast guys only because they are not letting the fast guys by and the fast guy isn't making an effort to pass.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

So, I am suppose to purposely slow down my car let him catch up and pass me even though I was in a fight for position. He wasn't right behind me. I can see if it he was right on my tail but he wasn't. I had to slow down for him to get by. I have no problem giving a spot up for someone but I had to go out of my way to get him around me.
I guess I misunderstood. I thought you said he was two car lengths behind you.

the same lap times as the leader. He was a couple of car lengths back
are you talking RC car lengths or 1:1 car lengths?

I've always felt if the leader has the race wrapped up he shouldn't expect people in a battle for position to move out of the way. If they are in a battle themselves for the win then all the other lap traffic should make way.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry if I led to the misunderstanding. It was more than two car lengths. I don't know how many more but more than 2. I do know I would have had to slow down for him to get the position.

Originally Posted by or8ital
I guess I misunderstood. I thought you said he was two car lengths behind you.

are you talking RC car lengths or 1:1 car lengths?

I've always felt if the leader has the race wrapped up he shouldn't expect people in a battle for position to move out of the way. If they are in a battle themselves for the win then all the other lap traffic should make way.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

If its F1 2 car lengths is a little too close for comfort. The leader would wanna leave more room in case the back marker gets into some mishap.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry if I led to the misunderstanding. It was more than two car lengths. I don't know how many more but more than 2. I do know I would have had to slow down for him to get the position.
Since this is a learning process for you - I suggest you ask the leader whether he felt you should have let him lap you.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

And like I said before. I was pulling the same lap times as the leader. He was a couple of car lengths back and not pressuring me at all. (How many of you get off line to let the car pass when there is no pressure)? If he wanted to pass I would have let him. I was racing my race he was racing his. When the cars were behind me they were crashing into me not me crashing into them. I didn't crash into the leader and the leader didn't crash into me. So please explain how I was "basically" guilty of doing the same thing as I was accusing others of?
now you're sounding like every other backmarker that's not willing to show "courtesy" to the leaders, yet you want courtesy from other drivers that are similarly skilled to yourself.

1- the leader does not make up a lap on you by you running the same lap times as the leader.
2- how do you know the leader didn't want to pass?
3- how do you not know you weren't holding him up?

you "might" have been running your race, but by not moving over and letting the leader through you for forcing him to run your race too.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 AM
Suspended

when real racers refer to "racing for position" they're referring to podium spots, not back-marker 8th-place spots in the field.

if you think going wide going onto the main straight, or stopping momentarily (a blink of an eye), to let the leaders through is "slowing down for him to go by" -- then you're quite new to the hobby and showing your inexperience, and again, complaining about a courtesy issue while you yourself are just as guilty of one.

a couple of people have tried to mention to you that being 2 car lengths back is pretty close, or pressuring, in their eyes; and I myself do not follow someone closer than that because I want to be able to avoid their wreck when they have it instead of being caught up in it because I'm following too closely.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Suspended

I do know I would have had to slow down for him to get the position.
but that's the deal, since these cars are racing in motor-specific classes all the cars are going to be the same speed; so of course you'd have to slow down to let someone by.

it still comes down to being courteous. what goes around comes around. and if you want the rep of being a courteous driver, and one other drivers can trust (instead of being lumped in with the crashers), then the courteous thing to do is let the leaders by when they catch you.

YOU are the one being LAPPED
Old 11-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There is a fine line between driving your line and blocking, and only you can know which the situation is.
Typically qualifing is not about racing the other cars as it is about racing the clock. with that having been said you should by no means hold any car up in qualifing,and you should not have to pull over and stop for them either.
In the main (imo) it is a race between cars and blocking is part of the game. If the car approaching is markedly faster than your,then yes the smart thing to do is not try to block, 'cause you will only wreck and slow both of you down.
Eithe way people will just complain, so do your best to be fair on the track and screw them if they can't take a joke!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:19 AM
Suspended

my final post on this topic

I think that any of us have had a bad day, or a bad run, at one time or another (probably many) and found ourselves in the position of being lapped either by our own doing or someone elses. It doesn't matter how we got in that position, the facts are we are.
And the deal is all about showing "driver courtesy."
The deal is not about "racing for position," because we're no longer racing for position since seldom or never have I been in position where the second or third place cars were a lap down - and since the rest of the field, after the podium spots, are considered back-markers the rules of courtesy (the same rules of courtesy that suggest racers shouldn't run into the back of each other) say that back-markers should move over for the leaders when they come up from behind.
Me? I move over and let the leaders by, because I don't want to be in a position where I'm racing to stay in front of the leader and end up wrecking and then wrecking them and costing someone a race. Just like it ticks me off when a backmarker does it to me (and that's happened many times). I'm also moving over as a form of courtesy, one that I would expect to be reciprocated when that same guy I'm letting by is having a bad run and I'm about to lap him.

It simply comes down to track position; there's a reason you're being LAPPED and it's not because for a few given laps you can run the same lap times as the leaders. You're about to be lapped because you've had several incidents, or are having car issues, and as a result you're slow. And impeding the process of the leaders going by is just plain discourteous and reeks of rank amatueristic attitude.

RANT OFF
Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

My post is not meant to offend anyone so don't let it offend you

The longer you are in this 'sport' the more you realize there are others with better driving skills, setup skills, ect,ect

once realizing that when the faster racer comes up behind you to pass, you will find a place to go wide & let them pass

NOT!! I REPEAT NOT!! saying you let the guy, that is racing you for position, pass readily,

once you know the differance, between the two the lot easier it will be for EVERYBODY!!

we are very competitive and no of us want to be passed, and I usually see this issue with newer racers, with everybody racing indoors on smaller carpet tracks, passing becomes a very large issue, and diplomacy is the ONLY answer,

Buck it up & admit that there are faster racers than you, follow thier lines, check thier setups out, learn from them and apply it to your car & driving

Tight Lines
Thankx, Bill
Old 11-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

I had to go back and read the first post again. It looks like we went a fair way towards confusion. To answer the question back there, I would suggest you build your skill up. That way nobody will be able to hold you back. Going through the field a number of times as you lap everybody is going to slow you down a bit (or a bit more if there's a big field and packed). With experience you will get better at fortelling when someone is lapping you what they would like you to do.

About the rest, use your best judgement (as has been suggested) and perhaps talk to the faster drivers after the race see if they feel you held them back.

Last edited by niznai; 11-21-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.