Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
anyone heard of hobbycity.com(extremely cheap lipos) >

anyone heard of hobbycity.com(extremely cheap lipos)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone heard of hobbycity.com(extremely cheap lipos)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

can anyone find a 1 cell hard pack? I can't seem to find any on their site. I want to buy some packs and give them a shot. The cost is just too tempting.

--pakk
Old 11-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
can anyone find a 1 cell hard pack? I can't seem to find any on their site. I want to buy some packs and give them a shot. The cost is just too tempting.

--pakk
by "1 cell hard pack" do you mean 2s1p (7.4v)? or do you actually mean 1sXp (3.2v)?

if you meant 2s1p -

5ah 30c 2s1p http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9436

5ah 20c 2s1p http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9437

4ah 30c 2s1p http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9435

and if you meant actually a 1s hard pack there are these - http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9967 It states these are 2s3p totaling 6 cells. if there are 6 cells (3 in each) that means they are 1s3p/3.2v per pack.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeffEmbracedDC
by "1 cell hard pack" do you mean 2s1p (7.4v)? or do you actually mean 1sXp (3.2v)?

if you meant 2s1p -

5ah 30c 2s1p http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9436

5ah 20c 2s1p http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9437

4ah 30c 2s1p http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9435

and if you meant actually a 1s hard pack there are these - http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9967 It states these are 2s3p totaling 6 cells. if there are 6 cells (3 in each) that means they are 1s3p/3.2v per pack.
He meant the SINGLE CELL lipo, 1 single cell, not 2S, = 3.7V for 12th scale pan car....Hobbycity does not have that for now, but I am sure in the future once they know there are ppl want to use single cell for the 12th scale, they will get them out...

You guys have to understand hobbycity....this place is located in Hong Kong (China)...so, shipping will be alittle bit more then the US shipping. Then...as of everyone know, CHINA has the most export LIPO batteries for the RC business. Just take a look at the recent I-hobby show in Chicago...30% of the booth are lipo or some kinda batteries from China. That drive the cost down....however, if you are planning to use these battereis for club racing, they are (from what I see) are good enough. But if you are planning to attend some serious racing like ROAR or IFMAR, I don't think any of those are LEGAL to be race cause they did not submit to the ROAR or IFMAR for inspection, but that DOES NOT MEAN they are not up to the standard.

Again...you paid what you get. Most of the ppl I heard are happy with them (especially those 1/8th off road brushless conversion ppl) but if you do have a bad batteries from them, I don't know how you can return it or ask for refund unless you want to ship the LIPO back to Hong Kong for $20 plus dealing with shipping something "explodsive" via air, which I don't think it is easy to handle in US.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Could anybody tell if these hardcase lipo had more punch than any of those of big makes with ROAR approval.
In fact in our race rules has no compulsory just using which makes and model of batteries, since is hardcase.
If those are good maybe i will try them, honestly.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Ive been using zippy packs in my rc planes for about a year now. No problems at all. I own about 10 difference packs and a couple of guys at the field also use them. I would say between everyone we have 50+ zippy packs in use.

2-3 weeks back i noticed them have hard cased packs now. Gonna give that a try next time i place a order with them.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mac853
Could anybody tell if these hardcase lipo had more punch than any of those of big makes with ROAR approval.
In fact in our race rules has no compulsory just using which makes and model of batteries, since is hardcase.
If those are good maybe i will try them, honestly.
I doubt they have more punch then those ROAR legal brand....if they do, you will see those no name batteries all over the national or international racing.

Again...you paid what you get. It is the same theroy for everything all over the world.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

only problem I see is that they are not ROAR approved
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by speedybill
only problem I see is that they are not ROAR approved
Do you believe if they are ROAR approved, it won't be that kinda price..?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

Originally Posted by Solara
Do you believe if they are ROAR approved, it won't be that kinda price..?

Per "ROAR" approval

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._procedure.pdf

3 'virgin' packs are all thats required to get approval
kinda cheap if you ask me

our races require a ROAR approved lipo pack to race

just putting it out there FYI

so no one purchases one then expects to race at a track that requires ROAR approved batts

Thankx, Bill
Old 11-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bboard
Anybody tried their chargers? They all look like copies of the Orions and the Venom/Racer's Edge chargers. I'm wanting to get a 10a charger but I dont wanna shell out over $100 for it.
D'you ever considered it might be that it's not copying, but just rebadging? But the other way around?

I know a lot of Speed Passion and Yeah Racing Brushless systems are Hobbywing REBADGED.

Lots of that crap goes on all the time. The manufacturer will just sell the raw goods (or put special stickers, depends on the circumstance) and sell it to a distributor such as Orion, Venom, Speed Passion, etc...

Have you looked at anything Venom makes? Every single product they have is "Made in China."

The thing is, rebadging doesn't mean just put new stickers, you're putting your name on it, so it becomes that company's reputation if things aren't quality...

But quality control comes at a price. Depending on how serious a distributor is, it can be just a sticker exercise or a full-blown test and reject effort...

I for one, don't mind doing my own quality control, since my labor is free, labor from other distributors are not (that's why the same LiPo goes for 5x or sometimes 8x the cost of what HobbyCity/HobbyKing sells it).
Old 11-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pakk

--pakk
ill take a look for you
Old 11-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
I doubt they have more punch then those ROAR legal brand....if they do, you will see those no name batteries all over the national or international racing.

Again...you paid what you get. It is the same theroy for everything all over the world.
I totally disagree with you on this. These packs do have as much power as any of my $100+ Lipos for less than half price. Like someone mentioned earlier when you buy an expensive lipo you are paying for marketing, quality control, and advertising. Do you really think the drivers in the international, or national scene would be caught dead with one of these HC packs in their vehicle? No, of course not! They would not have sponsorships from the big companies if they were using cheap stuff.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
I know a lot of Speed Passion and Yeah Racing Brushless systems are Hobbywing REBADGED.

Lots of that crap goes on all the time. The manufacturer will just sell the raw goods (or put special stickers, depends on the circumstance) and sell it to a distributor such as Orion, Venom, Speed Passion, etc...

Have you looked at anything Venom makes? Every single product they have is "Made in China."

The thing is, rebadging doesn't mean just put new stickers, you're putting your name on it, so it becomes that company's reputation if things aren't quality...

But quality control comes at a price. Depending on how serious a distributor is, it can be just a sticker exercise or a full-blown test and reject effort...

I for one, don't mind doing my own quality control, since my labor is free, labor from other distributors are not (that's why the same LiPo goes for 5x or sometimes 8x the cost of what HobbyCity/HobbyKing sells it).
I cannot agree that....you should say this...."I know a lot of Speed Passion and Yeah Racing Brushless systems are Hobbywing OEM.." Hobbywing OEM their blueprint to others then they will provide the spec of the products PER their client's specification, that made the Speed Passion Speedo is different then Hobbywing or for Venom or for whoever that is...

They might look the same, but inside are different....not to mention the software and support are totally different.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by burnineyes
I totally disagree with you on this. These packs do have as much power as any of my $100+ Lipos for less than half price. Like someone mentioned earlier when you buy an expensive lipo you are paying for marketing, quality control, and advertising. Do you really think the drivers in the international, or national scene would be caught dead with one of these HC packs in their vehicle? No, of course not! They would not have sponsorships from the big companies if they were using cheap stuff.
You are correct....but I said, these batteries are NOT better (more punch) then the name brand....they might be the same, or like you said, as good...but NOT better...if they are NOT BETTER, why would racer want to save 50% of their money and get something almost as good, not roar legal, no support brand of batteries...? Remember, racer will spend top $$$ for everything try to WIN...not try to save money. Racing is a high $$$ spending sport....not a bargain racing event.

I paid 2X the price to buy the $100 lipo cause I can race legally (ROAR approved lipo)...you can save $50 for practice or parking lot bashing or may be some club racing. But I can use my $100 lipo anywhere, race or bash, without any trouble.

It is all depends on who buying it, what is that for and where to use it...

Now, about the racers with these $50 HC packs....of course, they will still make the car move, however, what about the support from these no name company? There are none....and you should not talk about the cost of these batteries. Because if these batteries are MORE PUNCH and BETTER then the name brand...all these driver will dive in to that specific batteries, cause they will do/get anything to WIN racing...it is not because it is $50 or $500. Beside, if somehow there is 1 batteries has no name, 1/2 the price of the name brand one...I am sure, if the driver want them to sponcer him, these no name batteries brand will sponcer them forever for their $20 lipo....unfortuntely, there is no such batteries like that.