R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2002, 06:55 PM   #31
Tech Adept

finalblade, it doesnt provide any power itself so using more than one won't do anything

To all:

I did some research and think I may have a theory on how it works. For antennas we match the impedence to that of the air for maximum power transfer by adjusting the inductance and capacitance. We also do the same thing for stereo speakers, ever wonder why they said 8 or 16 ohms on the back?

Well when impdences is not matched there is some power reflection back to the source, this power is wasted. So for maximum power transfer matching impedences is required.

Since an electric motor will have an inductance and capacitance it will have an impedence. This is usually is very low but is still there. If the KO device is a passive device it can be made really cheaply, but isnt as effective as it could be for all motors out there since each individual motor will be different. If it is an active device it is a bit more complicated but probably not that much. Anyways by characterizing the impedence of each motor we could make a device such as this tuned to a particular motor.

This is all just a theory, Im not an electrical engineer (Im a mechanical engineer) so I could be wrong but I wouldn't have posted all this crap if I wasn't pretty sure.

I would love to see the patent information for this. If Im right Ill post instructions how to make and tune such a device for your motor.

Last edited by patcollins; 03-08-2002 at 06:57 PM.
patcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 11:00 AM   #32
Tech Adept

does the booster work with all speedos?
was ist los? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 11:22 PM   #33
Tech Regular
Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

You might have a point. As I see it the impedances have real parts that can not be tuned easily to better match them. Of course there is the trivial answer to let the resistance of the motor drop (less wire). So what about the imaginary parts of the impedance. The motor is most probably an inductive load? But then again, with full throttle the current is DC and matching the imaginary parts has no effect, as jwC --> 0. There is of course the possibility, that the current flow is not totally DC, as the motor might have a different load at different points of commutation. Are you talking about matching the impedances for this little ripple current? Has anyone ever measured the current waveform that a motor takes? How flat is it?
BR/ JesseT
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:23 AM   #34
Tech Initiate

I have had some contact with a speedo designer this week. He said that it was fully possible to make a working thing like the booster.

Becouse the KO booster is a passive unit that are attached just over the poles ideas if phase compensation have poped up. I have not had the instruments to measure if this is the case. I will send a booster to the designer for further investigation.

Reply to last question; According to KO- function of booster is only tested with Ko speddos ofcourse. But there is no special with KO speedos so we think it will have almost the same effect with other brands.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 02:34 AM   #35
Tech Adept
Send a message via ICQ to Airwide Send a message via MSN to Airwide

Hi Robert!
Nice to see other people from sweden on this forum. I think we are three guys from Stokholm right now.

Did you send the booster to Ake?

Airwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 07:40 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to WHITESTER

So what was the verdict on this thing??? Real or a gimmick??? You have had plenty of time for testing!
WHITESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 01:49 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Because our motors have three poles the load isnt constant, or even steady. There are points in the rotation where there is no load, so I think that there will be some decent sized ripple. A motor is an inductive load.
patcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #38
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Any one still using this item?
Tamiya TB Evo 5
Spektrum DX3R 2.4Ghz, Sanwa ERG-VX, VFS-1
EngTat is offline   Reply With Quote