R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
Tech Regular
Default TC3 ball cup problems

I received this setup from one of the fastest guys at the track that I have begun racing at. It has also been posted here so you may have seen it:

"here is my set up

use rear tower
4 deg castor
f-0 block
0 toe
5mm ride height
shocks and camber links
40 wt #2 pistion blue spring 6 mm droop
camber link up and in mount shock in middle hole and outer hole on arm
.055 bar 1 deg camber

2+2 block
5.5 ride height
.055 bar
short wheel base
40wt #2 pistion silver spring 4 mm droop
camber links up and in mount shocks in middle hole and outer hole on arm

I ran cs 22 or 27's takeoffs a c2 motor with 98 spur 37 pin

used trinity death grip tire cleaner and rubber tire only traction put it on
after each race and let sit as per instuctions on bottle

protoform stratus 2.0 body"

The only difference is I do not have the sway bars since the LHS was out of stock on them. Anway, Friday night's race I was practicing and the car was HOOKED up...it was my first time running this setup and I immediately was knocking 2 seconds off of my lap times from before. (this was only going to be the 2nd race I was in...have owned the car about a month and a half so I am still learning.)
Anyway right at the end of practice the rear end got really loose and when I pulled it the left rear ball cup was popped off. I hadnt hit anything so it puzzled me. I ran the 1st qualifier and everything was fine...finished 2nd. Ran the 2nd Qual and finished again. I made the A main (first time there have been enought TCs out in awhile to have 2 mains lol but I was excited). About 4 laps in the ball cup pops off.

Sunday racing again....practice and the ball cup pops off. I put it back (snaps on pretty tight) and run again...I notice the car loos when turning right and pull it. The ball cup is "pushed" down on the turnbuckle giving me about neg 3* or more of camber. I then get a new ball cup from another racer and replace it.

The 2nd qualifer the rear end gets loose again and I catch a corner angle pipe and destroy the front right A arm, hinge pin and CVD.
As I pulled the body off I see the left rear turnbuckle dangling free with the cup still on the ball. This time the cup just pulled completely off of the threads.
I was too frustrated so I packed everything up and just watched the mains.

Sorry about the length but any ideas at all on why that same one kept popping off? On Friday night I even swapped the turnbuckle itself out with a spare one that I had and it still kept coming out.
I have ordered the titanium turnbuckles and the RPM ball cups. I have heard that the RPMs or the Losi cups snap tighter.

I was just wondering if maybe that setup without the sway bars was putting too much stress in an are due to body rol or if there could be something binding (I havent foundd anything yet but maybe I havent checked the right stuff)

Thanks for any insight and again sorry about the long post.
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:23 AM   #2
Tech Adept

The RPM ball cups should solve your problems.
RC311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The rpm ball cups stay on better and are more secure then the ae stock ones, but they tend to hit the inside of the rims with some brands of tires. Just check when you put them on that they dont rub into the rim.
Mike Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Tech Regular

for regular turnbuckles

for lundsford

also use a tap to cut threads in the cups before installing the turnbuckle
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I recommend the BUD'S or rpm bumper also. They save you lots of $$$$$$ while you learn to drive. The rpm ball cups are almost impossible to pop off.

As for binding, take off the shocks and see if the arms fall easy and at the same rate (or close). If they do not, check the hinge pins to see if they are bent.
NOWEAKLINKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 06:46 AM   #6
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Before you change everything check this.

I have been running my TC3 with the stock ball cups forever. I do notice that the cups on the rear will catch on the rim if the wheel is bent or if I am running wide foams. A wheel that is catching on the cup will make the car feel loose since it is locking that wheel up momentarily when cornering. If it pinches it enough it can pop it off the ball stud. Check your axles and drive hexes too and make sure they're not bent. You may have a bad hub bearing too.

Just my .02

Futaba, O.S. Engines, Tornado Fuel, Schumacher Racing, SpeedPassion USA, Eggroll Inc., Desoto Racing, Vesselli Racing
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:32 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Thanks for everything guys....you know something though the wheels might have something to do with it. I am using TakeOffs and there is very little clearance right there. That doesnt explain how it pulled the cup off of the actual turnbuckle but that could be why they were popping. It just seems weird that it started doing it all of a sudden.

I was worried about the size of the RPMs when i was thinking about the wheels last night.

We will find out soon though. Thanks again for everything so far and I will let you guys know what I find out if I ever do lol.
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote