Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duo 2 13.5 tight timing ring

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default Duo 2 13.5 tight timing ring

I recently got a 13.5 Duo 2 but the timing ring seems really tight. I can move it from the default middle position clockwise to almost the last timing marking to reduce timing but can only move it counterclockwise 1 mark to increase the timing.

Is there a trick to advancing these motors to the full timing position? Taking the timing cover off it looks like the sensor plug is binding on the slot it rotates in.

Any ideas on how to fix this or is this normal for this motor?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Err.... besides the 2 screws at the back of the motor, please don't forget to loosen the 3 screws at the front of the motor slightly too!! With the loosened, you should be ok.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Check to see if any of the windings are getting in the way of the rotation of the timing ring.

I had the same problem with a Duo 2 17.5. I had to take it apart and push one of the windings back into place before the ring would rotate freely in both directions.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 PM
mk2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default nnn

they get alittle crazy with the lock tight at the factory take it apart clean the grove the timming plate sits in and it will fix the issue look also for resadue on the plate itself clean it to
Old 11-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks. I'll give those suggestions a try.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi,

I have a new Team Epic DUO 2 17.5T (red can).

(1) Just wondering which screws do what

There are the:
-- three black, hex head screws at the shaft end
-- three silver, star head screws at the sensor lead end

(2) If I take it apart, is there something I should be really careful with

Thanks in advance
Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

I've now got the timing ring able to go from almost -40 to almost + 40 now.

I had to take the motor apart and what I found was that the anodizing on the C shaped part that holds the timing ring and cover on looked a little rough. It wasn't able to rotate through the timing range fully. I sanded down the edge of this and it was a lot better. I'm now 1 mark away from full timing counterclockwise. I need to sand a bit more down to get the full range.

Kinda makes me wonder about Epic's statement that they test each Duo 2 motor at the maximum timing setting and then post the dyno sheet on the box. There's no way mine could have been tested at maximum timing unless they used a different timing ring to get the dyno numbers and then put my current one on.

Really not too impressed with the quality of this motor. Hopefully the results on the track don't reflect the build quality.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spongerX
I've now got the timing ring able to go from almost -40 to almost + 40 now.

I had to take the motor apart and what I found was that the anodizing on the C shaped part that holds the timing ring and cover on looked a little rough. It wasn't able to rotate through the timing range fully. I sanded down the edge of this and it was a lot better. I'm now 1 mark away from full timing counterclockwise. I need to sand a bit more down to get the full range.

Kinda makes me wonder about Epic's statement that they test each Duo 2 motor at the maximum timing setting and then post the dyno sheet on the box. There's no way mine could have been tested at maximum timing unless they used a different timing ring to get the dyno numbers and then put my current one on.

Really not too impressed with the quality of this motor. Hopefully the results on the track don't reflect the build quality.
LOL fake advertising at its best...did u pay any extra for that?