R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

In the early days of graphite parts, CA edges was a must. Those things would start to delaminate in a heartbeat. Modern parts are much better and you can certainly get by without doing it. It is still a good idea though.
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #17
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've had some instances where glue got on the flat spots leaving some nasty areas. Got some super fine sandpaper and wet-sand the surfaces and edges. sometimes have gone so far as to hand polish the pieces too if the surface is dull. The finish is pretty amazing but the big thing is servo tape wont stick all that well afterward, I'll scuff up a small area wherever tape is used to keep the electronics from yard-saling.
dmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #18
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It could be worse. I've seen people glue their chassis to the pit table before.
SMC Racing | AKA Products | Serpent America | Android Nitro Runtime Calculator
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

exotek recommends sanding chassis with 300 and sealing it with blue loctite!! i did this to my tc5 and 12r5. ca can tweak a chassis if not done correctly. the blue loctite leaves a nice finish
xtrememadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Personally I've never seen CA tweak a chassis but I don't doubt it can happen. I've been wanting to try the blue loctite method, just haven't had a chance to. I'm even thinking maybe I should try that on tire sidewalls as well instead of CA.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #21
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you can't get pure acetone, nail polish remover is based on acetone. Just be careful not to get it on your plastic parts (unless you know that it can withstand Acetone).

Blue Loctite? I thought loctite turns into a rubbery substance when dried?

Sealing the chassis is a good idea, but if the chassis is cut from a good slab of carbon fiber, then, chances of delamination are low...

I've never done such a thing when I was kid (I do it to all my CF chassis now), and my RC10CE Graphite chassis still looks good. It all depends on what source the manufacturer selected for carbon fiber.
tom_chang79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
nail polish remover is based on acetone.
As I said earlier...many nail polish removers have taken acetone out of their ingredients. Make sure to check first or it will not work to take the CA off.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #23
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

A dot of CA on the tip of a wooden toothpick works perfect for me. Just a dot at a time and 'roll' it onto the edge of the CF until evenly spread/applied all around.

Med. CA works best (instead of thin).
Team Associated Reedy JConcepts.net FusionX USA
mblgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Personally I've never been able to get the q-tip method to work. For me it dries too fast and leaves fibers stuck to the sides of the chassis. And for some reason I get a chemical reaction with the q-tip that emits a white vapor.
That's cheap q-tips for you! They are made of cellulose and react with the ca. If you have enough cellulose based cotton wool and enough ca you can cause spontaneous combustion! There are a few fake magic tricks showing that on YouTube. You need to get pure cotton ones, Johnson's are good in the UK, don't know about elsewhere.

Also don't use quick drying ca. I use some foam friendly flexible ca that also doesn't go white and takes a couple of minutes to dry. Works great and less likely to tweak the chassis at all.

CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Zen-Racing (Zen-RS Gen 2.0 12th scale, Zen-RSGT12 Race soon) - CStar Paint
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #25
Tech Adept

I used to seal the edges of my chassis' with CA til I ruined 2 micro chassis". The heat from the CA curing caused themto tweak. But, you can remove the glue with fine grade sandpaper.. I used 600 wraped around a small rubber sanding block I got from the auto paint store. I didn't like the dull finish so I used a little Mothers polishing compound and it brought the finish back like it never happened.
oldrcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #26
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Blue loctite works really well. It gets absorbed into the CF and darkens it. You just wipe it on and then wipe the excess off. You can also rub some in scratches to darken them and make them less obvious.

As for the excess CA. I've removed all CA from a chassis before (that someone else did) by soaking it in straight acetone for about 10 min. Works flawlessly.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote