Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to shorten leads(1/12 related)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default How to shorten leads(1/12 related)

I have a new 1/12 and the only thing i wanted to ask you all a question on how you all shorten the reciver leads coming off the servo and the esc. do you all cut and splice, open the case and resolder, or cut and put a new end on. thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by poncec23
I have a new 1/12 and the only thing i wanted to ask you all a question on how you all shorten the reciver leads coming off the servo and the esc. do you all cut and splice, open the case and resolder, or cut and put a new end on. thanks
I have done all of those, and cut and crimp is the easiest to do. Your LHS can get you the crimper and connector kits.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

yeh I'm curious as well, I've hid the wire in heat shrink, but they definitely looks alot better when there are trimmed to fit. Unfortunately My soldering iron doesn't have a small enough tip to do that kind of job.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by timmay70
I have done all of those, and cut and crimp is the easiest to do. Your LHS can get you the crimper and connector kits.

do you have a kit name or number?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

I bought some spare servo connectors and just cut the wire and crimped the connectors on with some needle nose pliers.

If you're careful you don't need special tools to do it.

http://stores.servosandstuff.com/-st...Categories.bok or somewhere similar will do the trick
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Most people just bundle up the wire and zip tie it. If you want to have it a custom length it is easiest to cut the connector off and solder on a new one. I tried something a bit different that allows me to change the wire with a new one to lengthen it later if I move the electronics...but I'm not sure I like how it came out yet.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Even easier if you have decent soldering skills and a good iron.

If you pull the bottom cover off, most brands of servos connect to the board as soon as they enter the case. unsolder, cut to the right length and resolder.

I would advise owning a set of the crimpers as well, they do work well for a lot of other things.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Here's what I did initially:

I had both the servo and ESC wired in to the circuit board. That way I could just solder on new harness wires when I wanted them to be longer. But it was a problem with both being wired into the same board. I have since changed it to 1 board for each component. This way I can make the overall length of the wire any length I want without crimping and can even make it longer if I need to. Once I get the wires soldered to the board I then heat shrink the board and Shoe Goo it to the component. It works really well but I still haven't decided if I like the way it looks. I'll try to snap some pics of the new version later tonight.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beyondthepack
do you have a kit name or number?

http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_...rs___pins.html