Search
Like Tree1Likes

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Thought it was time to start a Q&A / sharing thread for this ESC. Everyone else has one why not Castle. I know they have one in the Team and Company section but not everyone looks at the group every day and to date it’s been dedicated to the Mamba Max and Micro.

For those not aware, this controller is sensor based and fully programmable like the Mamba Max. It has all the sensorless controls of the MM but now includes sensored timing advance. The cool thing is how they implemented this feature, it’s by RPM. You have the control to decide when the timing advance starts and when it should be at 100% plus how much timing advanced will be applied.

The controller is about the same size as a Speed Passion GT V1, includes a fan which can be removed and really is not required if running high turn motors, 10.5 - 21.5.

The most amazing thing I've seen with this ESC so far, only been using it for a week now, is the amount of initial rip it provides. I have not used a controller to date, SP GT V1.1, GTB, & Tekin RS, that accelerates out of a corner like this thing does.

My only complaint so far is the brakes seem to be very weak. I need to contact Castle about this as it may be my radio that's causing the problem.

There's another cool feature Castle has had for some time now, which I'm not aware other PC programmable controllers provide, is the capability to save setups to a file. This makes it easy to switch setups when going to a different track, using a different motor, or sharing with fellow racers.

Lastly, this ESC is the least expensive high tech controller on the market today.

I personally look forward to hearing others comments and seeing what people find to be the optimal gearing to CHEAT mode settings.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

I ran my new Mamba Max Pro last night on the carpet. I setup my Schumacher Mi3.5 and my RDX both with foam tires and I ran them back to back with the same Orion 13.5 motor and gearing. I had the Mamba Pro in the RDX and the Tekin RS in my Mi3.5.

I also ran my old Sidewinder as a control early in the night, just because it was in the car replacing my failing Havoc esc.

I'm really happy with the Mamba Pro as it performed perfectly. The feel of the esc is very smooth with the setup I'm running. In fact is was so smooth that I realized how choppy I can get with my throttle finger. The Mamba Pro smooths the inputs a little when running the startup power on low. I'm not using punch control as I always hated the wierd lagging input feeling when I used it on the Sidewinder.

Even with the low startup power, I still had really good rip through the infield and amazing speed down the straight. Top end was everything I had hoped for in a timing enhanced esc and I set it to be applied at the lowest setting so it came in without delay. The cheat mode timing comes in smoothly and I couldn't feel any sudden kick, rather a good strong pull that continues to over-rev.

My final setup for the 13.5 was with 26 degrees of esc timing in cheat mode with low startup power. Physical motor timing was kept very low at around 3 degrees as this is where keep it for my Tekins. Tekin esc was kept at 22degrees of esc timing with full boost. The motor was a few degrees cooler on the Mamba so I guess I could either go up 1 tooth or to the next timing setting to be truely equal on motor temps. I like it where it is and doubt I will change it. The Tekin is much smaller, lighter and runs cool without a fan so I'll keep running them for 1/12 scale or when I think weight will be an issue.

I like the 6V BEC option in the Version 1.24 Mamba firmware which ran flawlessly with my M11 DSS setup.

Overall I'm very happy with the Mamba Pro and the extra weight and size was a fair trade for the price. This is night and day better better than Havoc ever was. I may be biased as my Havoc Spec experience was less than ideal.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i just received my mamba max pro this morning. cant wait to test it out. but how do you program it? i dont see a usb slot like on the regular mamba max esc. i didnt get a chance to really look at the esc yet.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

You need a Castle link adapter that plugs into the rx wire from the ESC. When you get your MMP there's a coupon for a free one in side.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I use mine for insane speed runs. TC3, Medusa 3300kv, 5s Lipo, 41/60 gearing.
ESC doesn't even break a sweat. With a setup this reliable I can run a full 5000mah pack and not worry about it. I have a beta testor so I have had mine awhile. I have several hours in this controller with this setup, among others, I am very pleased and I think this is by far the best ESC on the market.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

So when do we get the 1 cell version?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

would this esc handle a 2T brushless sensored motor?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spurgear
would this esc handle a 2T brushless sensored motor?
A 2T seems like a nice motor. I have a 1.5T and the weak link now is the battery.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Initiate

I got mine yesterday I'm running mod sprint I'll let you know how it works tomorrow after practice
Old 11-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ok for the price of this ESC and adjustability I think I'm going to get one.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default MMpro

My only complaint for this ESC is that it does not brake hard like the LRP'S SPX. Having a hardtime braking late on hairpins. It might be my radio. my DX3r does not calibrate with my Mamba max pro. I belive Castle is working on it. Other than those mentioned above, I like everything about it.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Are there any people out there that have a DX3S radio and a MMPro? Did you have trouble setting the MMPro with this radio?
Old 11-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrey16533
My only complaint for this ESC is that it does not brake hard like the LRP'S SPX. Having a hardtime braking late on hairpins. It might be my radio. my DX3r does not calibrate with my Mamba max pro. I belive Castle is working on it. Other than those mentioned above, I like everything about it.
I'm having the same problem with my Nomadio radio. I have not contacted Castle yet but if there working on it that would be way cool.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I am really liking how this speedo is looking. I have had the Tekin for a while, but I'm starting to want to run something different.

How tunable is the advance curve?
I get that you adjust the advance per an RPM?
Are you dragging the curve around at will infinitely? Or is there several options to choose from.
If it's infinite, your not waiting for the software of the month. That's what I really like.

Screen shots of the software would be cool to see as well.

I would start running one in my VTA car. Has anyone run one with a 21.5?

Ben
Old 11-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

The timing curve for the enhanced timing "cheat mode" is selected on a single drop down menu with options every 4 degrees or so. To gear the same as a Tekin with 20/20 on V200 software you would select 30 degrees from the list on sensored and cheat mode.

The enhanced timing is applied in an RPM range rather than after a delay+full throttle. There are standard choices and custom RPM choices. The throttle curve and brake curves are tunable by dragging points on a line graph. The stock linear curve is what most would call a #2 or #3 and it feels really smooth. There is also a start power setting just as in thier airplane/heli esc settings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.