R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #1471
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm having an issue with my mmp. It was working fine now it's not. Don't know why. Here's what's going on:

I plug a motor in with sensor cable. I rev up the motor and it works fine. Rev it again. Works fine. Rev it again. Coggs so bad it won't even spin. I can spin the motor with my finger and then hit the trigger and it will rev up fine. But as soon as it stops and I pull the trigger again it will cogg and won't rev up.

it's not always exactly that pattern but basically it sometimes works fine sometimes coggs incredibly bad.

Ive tried several different motors and sensor cables. And still the problem persists. I'm using an external bec because I'm using it on 4s.

Any ideas? Is it toast? Will a full reset of the firmware help?

www.localrcracing.com
bagged69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #1472
Tech Regular

Duplicate

www.localrcracing.com
Old 09-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #1473
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged69chevy View Post
I'm having an issue with my mmp. It was working fine now it's not. Don't know why. Here's what's going on:

I plug a motor in with sensor cable. I rev up the motor and it works fine. Rev it again. Works fine. Rev it again. Coggs so bad it won't even spin. I can spin the motor with my finger and then hit the trigger and it will rev up fine. But as soon as it stops and I pull the trigger again it will cogg and won't rev up.

it's not always exactly that pattern but basically it sometimes works fine sometimes coggs incredibly bad.

Ive tried several different motors and sensor cables. And still the problem persists. I'm using an external bec because I'm using it on 4s.

Look for bent pins on your sensor port of the esc if that is fine try lowering your punch setting if that doesnt help and you have mentioned you have changed several motors and several sensor cables the mosfets are damaged Put it in the bin .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #1474
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Look for bent pins on your sensor port of the esc if that is fine try lowering your punch setting if that doesnt help and you have mentioned you have changed several motors and several sensor cables the mosfets are damaged Put it in the bin .
All of the pins look good. I'll try the punch control thing. Its set at zero right now.

Also I noticed last time I ran it was fine then all the sudden it seemed like I lost a cell in my battery and it started Cogging. Come to fine out the battery was fine. So that's another issue. Doesn't sound good though.

Also. I inspected the circuit board. Didnt notice anything that looked damaged or burnt.

www.localrcracing.com
Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #1475
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can you run the regular MMP on 1S? Any ideas? Or would I have to switch out the the 1S version?
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #1476
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged69chevy View Post

Its not the speedo it sound like a hall sensor going bad on your motor.

Had the same thing happen to one of my motors.
Installed a new sensor board and it was all good.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #1477
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarton View Post
Can you run the regular MMP on 1S? Any ideas? Or would I have to switch out the the 1S version?
You will need to disable the BEC and run an RX pack (the 1s comes with no bec for that reason)

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #1478
Tech Fanatic

anybody wanna give up their blinky set up for 17.5??
starrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #1479
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rnelias Send a message via Skype™ to rnelias

Folks, does anyone tried to perform the "torque control" test in a sensored motor? I know it doesn't make any sense test the exact RPM in a sensored motor but Castle Link does not even warn about it. I'm trying to perform the test following the same instruction I've used with a Velineon motor in a Redline 10.5T sensored but nothing is tested and the same Castle's message appear when I open the Castle Link software.
rnelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #1480
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
Folks, does anyone tried to perform the "torque control" test in a sensored motor? I know it doesn't make any sense test the exact RPM in a sensored motor but Castle Link does not even warn about it. I'm trying to perform the test following the same instruction I've used with a Velineon motor in a Redline 10.5T sensored but nothing is tested and the same Castle's message appear when I open the Castle Link software.
I have several sensored motors that worked fine during the test. What are you asking? How to do the test? Or are you saying that when you try to acquire the test data it does not seem to work. Like the motor does not spin for several seconds then stop. If you are trying to test the motor sensored or sensor less does not matter.
What does matter is that you send the test to the controller. You must select the check box, then hit the update button to send the test to the ESC. Then disconnect the ESC from the computer. Plug it back into your receiver, make sure you have no pinion on the motor, plug the battery in, turn your radio on then turn the ESC on. After it arms, pull the trigger all the way on your radio, the motor will spin up for a couple of seconds then stop on its own. The test is done. Now you can power everything down and plug it back into the computer and adjust the torque control parameters.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #1481
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rnelias Send a message via Skype™ to rnelias

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
I have several sensored motors that worked fine during the test. What are you asking? How to do the test? Or are you saying that when you try to acquire the test data it does not seem to work. Like the motor does not spin for several seconds then stop. If you are trying to test the motor sensored or sensor less does not matter.
What does matter is that you send the test to the controller. You must select the check box, then hit the update button to send the test to the ESC. Then disconnect the ESC from the computer. Plug it back into your receiver, make sure you have no pinion on the motor, plug the battery in, turn your radio on then turn the ESC on. After it arms, pull the trigger all the way on your radio, the motor will spin up for a couple of seconds then stop on its own. The test is done. Now you can power everything down and plug it back into the computer and adjust the torque control parameters.
I'm saying that the test does not seem to work.

I already did such test in a Velineon motor and it worked fine. I thought the procedures were wrong and double checked on the internet and I was doing them correctly.

Have you test your sensored motors in which mode? Sensored only or smartsense? In my case, the esc is set to Sensored only and C.H.E.A.T is enabled. I guess it make some difference... (who knows...)

Btw, why are we supposed to test something that the sensor should be able to read?
rnelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #1482
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default BEC annoyance

Hey all,

Thought I'd share something I found by experimentation recently, concerning the BEC issues in the Max Pro.

I often have issues with the BEC cutting off power to the radio/servo. The thinking has been that the ESC is shutting off power to the BEC when a certain current limit is reached, though for a very brief amount of time. I see this all the time just by steering my car left-right-left with the wheels off the ground; one will see the radio power go out and then back on. I usually don't see this while racing because steering is usually not that intense while actually running on the track.

A capacitor on the radio helps only because it provides power when the BEC goes out, but only briefly. Mine didn't really help all that much.

I initially thought if I could reduce the current drawn by the receiver/servo, the problem would go away. So, I reduced the BEC output voltage down to 5V and re-tested. Unfortunately, it was much worse, losing radio even while on the track. On a whim, I went the other way, turned the BEC voltage up to 7V. Note all my equipment could handle this, make sure to verify yours can before attempting. Wow, suddenly the problem is almost gone!

Now, this is completely opposite what one expects to happen. With a higher voltage, MORE current is passed, not less. The likely reason this works is Castle's, it appears the current limit is programmed by the firmware and has different limits depending on the voltage selected. So the higher voltage current limit works better for my setup.

I hope this helps someone, I know I was about ready to either direct wire my radio or ditch the Mamba completely.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #1483
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael View Post
Hey all,

Thought I'd share something I found by experimentation recently, concerning the BEC issues in the Max Pro.

I often have issues with the BEC cutting off power to the radio/servo. The thinking has been that the ESC is shutting off power to the BEC when a certain current limit is reached, though for a very brief amount of time. I see this all the time just by steering my car left-right-left with the wheels off the ground; one will see the radio power go out and then back on. I usually don't see this while racing because steering is usually not that intense while actually running on the track.

A capacitor on the radio helps only because it provides power when the BEC goes out, but only briefly. Mine didn't really help all that much.

I initially thought if I could reduce the current drawn by the receiver/servo, the problem would go away. So, I reduced the BEC output voltage down to 5V and re-tested. Unfortunately, it was much worse, losing radio even while on the track. On a whim, I went the other way, turned the BEC voltage up to 7V. Note all my equipment could handle this, make sure to verify yours can before attempting. Wow, suddenly the problem is almost gone!

Now, this is completely opposite what one expects to happen. With a higher voltage, MORE current is passed, not less. The likely reason this works is Castle's, it appears the current limit is programmed by the firmware and has different limits depending on the voltage selected. So the higher voltage current limit works better for my setup.

I hope this helps someone, I know I was about ready to either direct wire my radio or ditch the Mamba completely.
the power equation means that current and voltage are inversely proportional (P=V*I) So this actually makes sense. All my stuff is set to 6 or 6.5 volts.

Last edited by macdude; 03-25-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added equation
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #1484
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
I'm saying that the test does not seem to work.

I already did such test in a Velineon motor and it worked fine. I thought the procedures were wrong and double checked on the internet and I was doing them correctly.

Have you test your sensored motors in which mode? Sensored only or smartsense? In my case, the esc is set to Sensored only and C.H.E.A.T is enabled. I guess it make some difference... (who knows...)

Btw, why are we supposed to test something that the sensor should be able to read?
I have done the test with sensored motors and cheat enabled. This should make no difference as the test does not use either. It is just measuring the KV of the motor. The hall sensors that tell it the position of the rotor do not measure the KV value so are of no help in limiting the torque. I wish I could see your set up as I have had zero issues. I have been trying to get it to fail, I have 6 different motors and 4 ESC's and they all worked as expected. I even just for fun did the test with my 1/8 scale motor on 4S. Tested worked like a charm.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #1485
Tech Fanatic

i run tc 17.5 blinky & i try the 1.33v & it had a lagging feeling...i went back to the 1.26 & it was very punchy..(the way i like it)..what would be the best firmware for 17.5 & 21.5 thanks!!!
starrx is offline   Reply With Quote