R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #1351
Tech Addict
 
Born2Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 740
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroifittipalde View Post
Blew a 17.5 motor this past weekend. Somehow the reverse and boost rpm settings in the MMP esc reset. Maybe this happened when I switced recievers but, all other settings remained the same. Motor temps were low when I ran on a smaller track approx 100x50'. This track was larger approx 170x80'.

MMP EsC Settings:
*brake/reverse-prop w rev lockout
(was set to prop w/o reverse before reset)
*brake- 50%
*drag brake-10%
*punch control -0
*start power- low
*sensor only mode
*C.H.E.A.T.- on

(was set to 8000-9200 before reset)

motor: speedpassion 17.5r timing turned fully to the right, 10 deg... i think.
Approx. 5.2-5.4 fdr (dont have the car/gears in front of me @the moment)

Confused as to why the motor overheated. Could the low boost rpm range on a large track cause the motor to overheat? Was the 5.2 gearing too high even with boost on?
*boost timing 50 deg
*rpm range 1900-2500
and you're still wondering why you blew the motor?
__________________
Whatever
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #1352
Tech Apprentice
 
Leroifittipalde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 54
Send a message via AIM to Leroifittipalde Send a message via Yahoo to Leroifittipalde
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
*boost timing 50 deg
*rpm range 1900-2500
and you're still wondering why you blew the motor?
Yeah ,Pretty new to boosted escs. Im looking for answers, not sarcasim. Thanks...
__________________
-ZIM
TRF 416//TA05 IFS//ABC Genetic//3Racing F1-09//Yokomo MR4 Rallye
Leroifittipalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #1353
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 925
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroifittipalde View Post
Yeah ,Pretty new to boosted escs. Im looking for answers, not sarcasim. Thanks...
Some general considerations. Timing = heat. The more timing added to the motor either physical via the end bell on the motor or in the esc will add heat. It will also make a 17.5 really fast, but there are limitations.

After looking closely at your first post I would say yes the short RPM range is what caused the meltdown. As 50 degrees of timing was being applied the whole time to the motor. This generates tons of heat. I would also make your rpm band a little bigger. I don't have my castle software in front of me, but if the FDR was working for you and felt good on the in field I would just leave that alone and make the rpm range a little larger. Something like 6000 - 20K If you can get to there with the custom RPM settings. This allows the timing to be applied in smaller steps and will make the acceleration smooth while still giving you the punch out of the corners.

Also what version of the firmware are you running.
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #1354
Tech Addict
 
Born2Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroifittipalde View Post
Yeah ,Pretty new to boosted escs. Im looking for answers, not sarcasim. Thanks...
Sorry,i did want to be sarcastic but you said it was 8000-9200 before reset and after you set 1900-2500 you blew the motor.Isn't ovious? Your rpm range was very small and very low thats why you overheated the motor.
__________________
Whatever
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #1355
Tech Addict
 
mlight13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 675
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

I just installed a MMP with a Speed Passion V2 17.5R in my TC4. I have not had time to hit the track yet but the tracks I will race on will be outdoor asphalt parking lot tracks with a 100' straightaway average with a technical infield. Do my settings look good as a base starting point?

Firmware: 1.26
Cheat: Enabled - 50*
RPM range: 5,500-20,500
Motor Endbell timing: Locked at 0* - Motor not adjustable
FDR: 5.82
Start mode: High
Brakes: 100% - Adjusted to 60% through transmitter
Drag Brake: 10%

I think that is all if I remember correctly. I have the Field link to change most settings at the track. The only thing I won't be able to change really is the RPM range for the cheat mode. Thanks in advance...
__________________
Mark

Last edited by mlight13; 01-20-2011 at 12:21 AM.
mlight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #1356
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 925
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlight13 View Post
I just installed a MMP with a Speed Passion V2 17.5R in my TC4. I have not had time to hit the track yet but the tracks I will race on will be outdoor asphalt parking lot tracks with a 100' straightaway average with a technical infield. Do my settings look good as a base starting point?

Firmware: 1.26
Cheat: Enabled - 50*
RPM range: 5,500-20,500
Motor Endbell timing: Locked at 0* - Motor not adjustable
FDR: 5.82
Start mode: High
Brakes: 100% - Adjusted to 60% through transmitter
Drag Brake: 10%

I think that is all if I remember correctly. I have the Field link to change most settings at the track. The only thing I won't be able to change really is the RPM range for the cheat mode. Thanks in advance...
This looks pretty good to me. I would just check your temps after 2 min to make sure your not over heating. For a straight over 100 feet I like to set the RPM start point a little higher. Mostly because the MMP does not have turbo, like the tekin so in order to get the most speed out of the motor requires a little more gearing. Which it looks like you have. With a Tekin I would be geared a little Higher on the FDR closer to 6.8.
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #1357
Tech Apprentice
 
Leroifittipalde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 54
Send a message via AIM to Leroifittipalde Send a message via Yahoo to Leroifittipalde
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
Some general considerations. Timing = heat. The more timing added to the motor either physical via the end bell on the motor or in the esc will add heat. It will also make a 17.5 really fast, but there are limitations.

After looking closely at your first post I would say yes the short RPM range is what caused the meltdown. As 50 degrees of timing was being applied the whole time to the motor. This generates tons of heat. I would also make your rpm band a little bigger. I don't have my castle software in front of me, but if the FDR was working for you and felt good on the in field I would just leave that alone and make the rpm range a little larger. Something like 6000 - 20K If you can get to there with the custom RPM settings. This allows the timing to be applied in smaller steps and will make the acceleration smooth while still giving you the punch out of the corners.

Also what version of the firmware are you running.
Currently using ver. 3.27. Ill likely upgrade to the latest version once I install another motor. I will try adjusting the custom rpm settings closer to the range you recommend and see how motor temps go.
Has anyone else had issues with spektrum recievers not binding properly to MMP escs?? Thought I read something in previouis pages but cant recall where. Im using an M8 w/ spektrum module.
__________________
-ZIM
TRF 416//TA05 IFS//ABC Genetic//3Racing F1-09//Yokomo MR4 Rallye
Leroifittipalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #1358
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 925
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroifittipalde View Post
Currently using ver. 3.27. Ill likely upgrade to the latest version once I install another motor. I will try adjusting the custom rpm settings closer to the range you recommend and see how motor temps go.
Has anyone else had issues with spektrum recievers not binding properly to MMP escs?? Thought I read something in previouis pages but cant recall where. Im using an M8 w/ spektrum module.
Originally the start up delay was too short and had problem with spectrum as far as I know the arming time default no longer is an issue.
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #1359
Tech Addict
 
Born2Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 740
Default

Any update in the future? Come on castle,wake up.Unless you lost your interest for MMP.
__________________
Whatever
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #1360
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kalamazoo,MI
Posts: 1,785
Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
Any update in the future? Come on castle,wake up.Unless you lost your interest for MMP.

Really?? It is one of the best values in RC, its versatility cannot be matched over the many applications that it can be used on.

What exactly is it that Castle needs to WAKE UP on?
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 AM   #1361
Tech Addict
 
Born2Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
Really?? It is one of the best values in RC, its versatility cannot be matched over the many applications that it can be used on.

What exactly is it that Castle needs to WAKE UP on?


Turbo function my friend.Just to be competitive with the others.I know is one of the best values in RC, but today is one step behind. At least on the touring races.
__________________
Whatever
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #1362
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 925
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
Turbo function my friend.Just to be competitive with the others.I know is one of the best values in RC, but today is one step behind. At least on the touring races.
How big a straight do you run on? Seems like from a timing value stand point they are only off by 10 maybe 15 degrees of the max other speed controls offer. While I see the application for a "turbo" type function. I don't readily see the need for it on a track that has smaller than 100' straight. I would also be interested to know how much more gear you need to achieve similar speeds down the straight. Like if you ran a FDR of 5.3 or 5.0 and an rpm range from 6000 to 30000 with 50* how close is your top speed vs the other "turbo" escs?
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #1363
Tech Addict
 
Born2Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
How big a straight do you run on? Seems like from a timing value stand point they are only off by 10 maybe 15 degrees of the max other speed controls offer. While I see the application for a "turbo" type function. I don't readily see the need for it on a track that has smaller than 100' straight. I would also be interested to know how much more gear you need to achieve similar speeds down the straight. Like if you ran a FDR of 5.3 or 5.0 and an rpm range from 6000 to 30000 with 50* how close is your top speed vs the other "turbo" escs?
This is our track:

Straight is about 70m.
Last year with the 17.5 we were running FDR 4-4.2 but the track was smaller and the straight was about 60m.The guys with turbo (HW or SP)were just a litlle faster on straight.
This year we'll run 10.5T,the track will be bigger (marked red on the photo) but i'm affraid with the mambas we will not be competitive against the others.Sunday is our first race.I'll start with an FDR of 5.3 and rpm range 12.000-26.000 with 35' and i'll see .
__________________
Whatever
Born2Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #1364
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,055
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
Turbo function my friend.Just to be competitive with the others.I know is one of the best values in RC, but today is one step behind. At least on the touring races.
I guess its how you look at it. In that case I guess Tekin is one step back because their unit can't do sensorless or 6s lipo without buying another speedo. Not every speedo will have every software upgrade people want. It is almost impossible to do that.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005)
Bumps & Jumps RC (One of the best racing facilities around)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC) Great aluminum upgrades for many brands.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #1365
Tech Fanatic
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 925
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I guess its how you look at it. In that case I guess Tekin is one step back because their unit can't do sensorless or 6s lipo without buying another speedo. Not every speedo will have every software upgrade people want. It is almost impossible to do that.
While agree with your comment. Technically the Tekin does run sensorless.
__________________
---------------
KO Eurus / Orca / MMP / XB2 / 22-4 /
macdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread sharkman Electric Off-Road 18801 04-23-2017 03:49 PM
Mamba Max Pro BlueWalker Electric Off-Road 3283 06-20-2016 10:51 AM
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 03:38 PM
the Chopping Block-Crawler Wheels. ESC/Motor Combos-Baja stuff Timmahh R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 05-23-2009 11:33 PM
Compatability of brushless ESC's and motors between makes Iceracer Electric On-Road 16 03-21-2007 07:00 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:40 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net