R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #1216
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KweetNiet View Post
Did anybody do the Kv test already? I did and the result I got for my Speed Passion 13.5R Competition V3.0 was 2817 Kv.

Our stock drivers go around with a 3000Kv, a set with the SP stock ECS. Now it looks like they have the better motor
I have done the test on several motors. And each one is different. 2817kv is pretty good for a 13.5. You must remember too that although the specs for 13.5 and 17.5 are set the manufactures still have a range to work with. Not to mention that higher KV equals more RPM, while Lower KV is more torque at the lower RPM. So while I would say yes a motor with a higher KV rating is faster, you will feel more punch from the lower KV rating in your motor. Even though the difference is small.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #1217
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
Your welcome. Glad to help.
I still experience an issue with the new Firmware ver.1.2.8,when I line up on the grid on low speed the motor stutters, not so smooth as with version 1.2.6.
Any Ideas why ?
2Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #1218
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quick View Post
I still experience an issue with the new Firmware ver.1.2.8,when I line up on the grid on low speed the motor stutters, not so smooth as with version 1.2.6.
Any Ideas why ?
Try to reduce a little the motor mechanical timing.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #1219
Tech Rookie

Default MM PRO and B4

Help, please: I'll be running a MM PRO on m RC10B4 on a medium size track. Need good set up for my esc and running novak Ballistic 13.5. Looking for esc setup suggestions: need to go fast, man

Last edited by Yohan Hayyim; 07-30-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Yohan Hayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #1220
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Run View Post
Try to reduce a little the motor mechanical timing.
Even with the timing reduced it does the same. What I can't understand is with previous version 1.2.6 it works fine ie. Smooth without stuttering on low rolling speed.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #1221
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan Hayyim View Post
Help, please: I'll be running a MM PRO on m RC10B4 on a medium size track. Need good set up for my esc and running novak Ballistic 13.5. Looking for esc setup suggestions: need to go fast, man
I would start with running cheat mode.

30 degrees timing boost
5000 - 15000

Start power "high"

If 30 degrees is not fast enough on the straights then give it a little more. But depending on the traction you probably won't be able to use it. I have found that more than 30 degrees just makes you spin out.

That being said, I would also set up the power limiter so you can adjust the bottom for track conditions.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #1222
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Even with the timing reduced it does the same. What I can't understand is with previous version 1.2.6 it works fine ie. Smooth without stuttering on low rolling speed.
Not sure either, as I have a ballistic motor in my SC and it is running fine low speed or not. Might try replacing the sensor cable. I have seen these break before. It only takes one of the little wires to get pinched and then it just doesnt work like it suppose to. But it is really odd that you can drive smoothly with the lower version of the software. I will check it out this weekend more. But so far I have not seen this. My on road car is running a duo 2.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #1223
Tech Adept

Quote:
Not sure either, as I have a ballistic motor in my SC and it is running fine low speed or not. Might try replacing the sensor cable. I have seen these break before. It only takes one of the little wires to get pinched and then it just doesnt work like it suppose to. But it is really odd that you can drive smoothly with the lower version of the software. I will check it out this weekend more. But so far I have not seen this. My on road car is running a duo 2.
I also find it strange. I tried another sensor cable, does the same. I know of other speed controls I had in the past also use to do that. You can actually hear the motor going high, low and sometimes i overshoot my grid position when lining up on the start. Like I say version 1.2.6 works fine.
I really want it to smooth out with the new version firmware.
Thanx for your help.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #1224
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I also find it strange. I tried another sensor cable, does the same. I know of other speed controls I had in the past also use to do that. You can actually hear the motor going high, low and sometimes i overshoot my grid position when lining up on the start. Like I say version 1.2.6 works fine.
I really want it to smooth out with the new version firmware.
Thanx for your help.
Well I see what you are talking about now. I can get it to "jump" or "pulse" while just creeping along. It is really strange that the older firmware doesn't do it. Probably just software bug in this release. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

I can reproduce it on three different motors. The only reason I didn't see it before was I never go that slow in my SC truck.

Here is the video of what I see. http://gallery.me.com/mmcoger#100037...&bgcolor=black
Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #1225
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm racing as we speak with the new firmware car is fast but still lucking top end but the bottom end on the infield with the new torque adjustment is insane... Here's my setup:

Car = TM E4
MMP profile = CHEAT mode
Timing = 50 degree
Motor timing = 40 degree
Motor = Novak Ballistic 17.5
Punch control = disabled
Start up = High
Torque control = 10
Throtle curve = Positive
RPM = 7000-1300

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #1226
Tech Adept

Quote:
Well I see what you are talking about now. I can get it to "jump" or "pulse" while just creeping along. It is really strange that the older firmware doesn't do it. Probably just software bug in this release. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

I can reproduce it on three different motors. The only reason I didn't see it before was I never go that slow in my SC truck.

Here is the video of what I see. http://gallery.me.com/mmcoger#100037...&bgcolor=black
Must be a bug. I was going crazy trying to illiminate the problem. Thanx to you I can put it to rest. Hopefully the next version will have a fix.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #1227
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I did have a huge issue last night I don't know If it's the Radio or MMP ESC that cause me the race... First the car stalled on me couple of times With power on but no throttle and second it went wide open on throttle and almost destroy my car hitting the wall head on but luckily I'm running 17.5 last night and not MOD... Never had this issue before but with this new firmware...

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #1228
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
I'm racing as we speak with the new firmware car is fast but still lucking top end but the bottom end on the infield with the new torque adjustment is insane... Here's my setup:

Car = TM E4
MMP profile = CHEAT mode
Timing = 50 degree
Motor timing = 40 degree
Motor = Novak Ballistic 17.5
Punch control = disabled
Start up = High
Torque control = 10
Throtle curve = Positive
RPM = 7000-1300
Do you have a setup for Ballistic 13.5 ?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #1229
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

i had an issue after i installed the new firmware the esc would stall in the middle of the run as if it were thermaling and its the exact same gearing and everything i ran on previous software and the fan was on when this happened then if you wait a second it wouls cool off and then run for a little longer then thermal again. at least i hope it didnt thermal but it did this after i installed the firmware.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #1230
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jenkins View Post
i had an issue after i installed the new firmware the esc would stall in the middle of the run as if it were thermaling and its the exact same gearing and everything i ran on previous software and the fan was on when this happened then if you wait a second it wouls cool off and then run for a little longer then thermal again. at least i hope it didnt thermal but it did this after i installed the firmware.
I would install 1.2.6 and wait until they fix the bug. I have had it turn off a couple of times on me. Another guy on the off road forum had both their ESC go up in smoke. So there must be something wrong with the 1.2.8. Other than just a low speed miss fire. I ran it several times this weekend racing and it worked ok. But there does seem to be something wrong with this version of the firmware.