Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #1141
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
I will give it a try again next weekend.
Use the old motor just to if you see any difference on how it runs in the infield and straights. I think you will find it runs a little cooler, more punch in the infield and will apply the timing over a broader band on the straight so it should pull hard alot longer for you.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #1142
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudor_47 View Post
I too have a 5,5T motor, what were your settings for this motor?
The track I ran was quite small (only 100ft straight).

Setup:
CHEAT Mode:
4* timing
17,000-39,500 range
Med. start power
20% punch control
10% drag brake
100% brake

Motor was an LRP X12 5.5, timing fully retarded in motor, 8.6 FDR

Motor ran on the warmer side, about 170* after 6mins, was probably overgeared for the smaller track. For a bigger track, I would first add some gear, and a maybe a little more timing, but probably not more than 10* in ESC. You could also choose to go with a slower motor (say a 7.5), and more timing advance, this would give better forward traction (not as brutal bottom end). Overall I was happy, tons of power, but smooth delivery. Just very fast

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #1143
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdelcast View Post
Coming soon
Is there any news on the new software? I'm really running way behind now on the tekin and hobywing guys on top speed (260ft straight), running it with the same SP 13.5t as they do. Halfway the straight they just push extra revs out of their system I can not keep up with.
KweetNiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #1144
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm with you Tekins are killing me on the straight.. But I will try a broader RPM range and see if it helps me to get more top end.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #1145
Tech Adept

Its not just the Tekins, but also the new hobbywing firmware that just blows past onthe straight. Castle has been promising for many months of new software, when i brought this issue up over 2.5 months back pdelcast said "soon" , to me that is not soon, i have a feeling they not going to bring any new faster software to keep up, now with the ROAR no timing thing!. Over 5 months ago pdelcast even said they are working on new timing ramps to keep with the Tekins, but this has also not happend ..

I love my MMP, and have changed my setup on the ESC and am equal with the other ESC's on medium sized tracks

CHEAT : 50
RPM : 4000 - 8600
Motor : SP V3 17.5

I used to run the motor in the middle timing with a 4.9/5.0 FDR , have now changed it to full motor timing with a 5.5/5.6 FDR , and the car is quick, and is equal to the other ESC's on medium tracks with a 150ft straight. I found with less motor timing, the motor isnt as fast as the other ESC's on the straight due to them having a turbo, but with more motor timing i am equal. Motor comes off at 140F.

Last edited by MoonTrap; 07-13-2010 at 09:55 AM.
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #1146
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap View Post
Its not just the Tekins, but also the new hobbywing firmware that just blows past onthe straight. Castle has been promising for many months of new software, when i brought this issue up over 2.5 months back pdelcast said "soon" , to me that is not soon, i have a feeling they not going to bring any new faster software to keep up, now with the ROAR no timing thing!. Over 5 months ago pdelcast even said they are working on new timing ramps to keep with the Tekins, but this has also not happend ..

I love my MMP, and have changed my setup on the ESC and am equal with the other ESC's on medium sized tracks

CHEAT : 50
RPM : 4000 - 8600
Motor : SP V3 17.5

I used to run the motor in the middle timing with a 4.9/5.0 FDR , have now changed it to full motor timing with a 5.5/5.6 FDR , and the car is quick, and is equal to the other ESC's on medium tracks with a 150ft straight. I found with less motor timing, the motor isnt as fast as the other ESC's on the straight due to them having a turbo, but with more motor timing i am equal. Motor comes off at 140F.
They are working on it along with some other new products as well. It the owner says they are working on new programing then the engineers are working on it.

It took Castle making the MMP with the adjustable RPM range to be the fastest esc when it came out, then all others copied that rpm range timing setup so know when Castle once again comes out with something better (even if we have to wait) I would guess that once again it will be better and all other brands will scramble once again to copy it. Main difference is Castle just don't race and have many other products under development on their plate so it takes a little time.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #1147
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have bolted the Tekin back in for now. Need the speed! but I will leave the Mamba in my pitbox and as soon as the new software is out I will bang it back in there!

My Defence "Wouldn't you rather me play with my Toys than go out to a pub drinking?"
RCMADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #1148
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADMAN View Post
I have bolted the Tekin back in for now. Need the speed! but I will leave the Mamba in my pitbox and as soon as the new software is out I will bang it back in there!
I'm waiting to. I know its coming and will be worth the wait. Not a huge deal for me as I still mainly race for fun but as soon as the new stuff is out I will be downloading it.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #1149
Tech Elite

Waiting patiently guys... But if nothing happens quick I'm going to get the Novak kinetic that should be out by the end of the month..

Old 07-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #1150
Tech Adept

We are all waiting patiently, and have been for over 6 months. I love my MMP, and would hate to have to change.. I think if we had some kind of time line, instead of "soon" , it would put a bit of ease on our minds, that we haven't been forgotten
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #1151
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
The track I ran was quite small (only 100ft straight).

Setup:
CHEAT Mode:
4* timing
17,000-39,500 range
Med. start power
20% punch control
10% drag brake
100% brake

Motor was an LRP X12 5.5, timing fully retarded in motor, 8.6 FDR

Motor ran on the warmer side, about 170* after 6mins, was probably overgeared for the smaller track. For a bigger track, I would first add some gear, and a maybe a little more timing, but probably not more than 10* in ESC. You could also choose to go with a slower motor (say a 7.5), and more timing advance, this would give better forward traction (not as brutal bottom end). Overall I was happy, tons of power, but smooth delivery. Just very fast
THanks!
I'll have a go at your setup on our track. your FDR at 8,6 is that on a touring car?
I am driving a pan car (Xray X10 link) so my FDR will be different..
Oh, How do you set the rpm range? Seem to remember there beeing set values in the program....

Thanks!
/Johnny

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #1152
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap View Post
Its not just the Tekins, but also the new hobbywing firmware that just blows past onthe straight.
That I forgot to mention aswell. The other MMP driver on my club now changed his for the HW ESC. Instead of 76 km/h on the straight he now also goes 80+ like the Tekin boys. A lot more guys are now looking at the HW ESC, low price and (for now) good performance.

I also do not want to change, but being overtaken by others with 10+ km/h on the straight does hurt. I can just not keep up.
KweetNiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #1153
Tech Elite

It' does sucks when you know you have the car that can compete but don't have the speed. I was a 1.5 second slower and all the tekin guys just blow past by me on the straight.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #1154
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
It' does sucks when you know you have the car that can compete but don't have the speed. I was a 1.5 second slower and all the tekin guys just blow past by me on the straight.
How long is your straight. I am still as fast as the tekins where I race. But the straight is only 76ft. inside. I am assuming that the complaint is that you don't continue to accelerate to the end of your straight. The other question that I have is why can't you just gear up a little to make your car have a higher top end. So even though you are getting less revs than a TK or HW you would still be matching the top speed. As I have a MMP I know it has tons of rip, no matter what gearing I use, so in the infield the taller gearing should still work. Obviously you would have to change a little the way you drive as I am sure it would feel different. But I have to think that it is possible to match the top speed of the HW or TK.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #1155
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
How long is your straight. I am still as fast as the tekins where I race. But the straight is only 76ft. inside. I am assuming that the complaint is that you don't continue to accelerate to the end of your straight. The other question that I have is why can't you just gear up a little to make your car have a higher top end. So even though you are getting less revs than a TK or HW you would still be matching the top speed. As I have a MMP I know it has tons of rip, no matter what gearing I use, so in the infield the taller gearing should still work. Obviously you would have to change a little the way you drive as I am sure it would feel different. But I have to think that it is possible to match the top speed of the HW or TK.
+1 With my MMP on FDR 4.0 with my 17.5 im as fast as the SP & HW on a straight of 65meters.