R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #1036
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdelcast View Post

We were worried that if we allowed too much timing, people would start destroying motors regularly.

there are several more tricks possible with the ROAR motor to make it even faster than what ESC manufacturers are doing now...

and it's silly for stock to be as fast as it is. Stock racing is SUPPOSED to be a low power, low speed class. Let's leave the really high power setups for modified.

It's also ridiculous to expect the racers to have to buy a new ESC every few months to stay competitive. [/COLOR]

Patrick
Wouldn't you agree that with your current firmware/hardware, as well as the competitions, that the limiting factor of performance is HEAT. People have already been melting motors on a regular basis for months trying to find the limit! Unless you can find a way to increase performance without making more heat, I think we have reached close to max with what has been seen?? Do you really think its possible for an ESC manufacture to cause such a sensation as Advanced Electronics did last year at IIC?

Absolutely Stock is way too fast. These days 17.5 is as fast as 19t brushed ever was. So todays "STOCK" is as fast as yesterdays "SUPERSTOCK"! I really think this is a symptom of the industry getting its head around a new technology. If we knew then what we know now, ROAR would never have allowed 17.5 to be the brushless equivalent "STOCK".

I know people who haven't bought a new esc for over a year!! They just keep updating it for free.

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #1037
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap View Post
That is good to know, dont get me wrong i love the castle, but as a racer, im impatient, and want the speed now to keep up.. Any idea when this software will become available?, i wouldnt mind beta testing it even
I can't comment on when it will be available yet -- I'm in China right now, so I don't have access to the engineering database here. I'll be back in the USA later this week, and hopefully I'll be able to give some status on the release.

Thanx!

Patrick
pdelcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #1038
Tech Apprentice

Default Please donít shoot me down

Right have two of these MMP Speedos and still think I am not getting the full potential from them. Only thing I canít get right is making it smooth in the infield and top end down the straight. Had one go wrong but it might have been me pushing sensor wire too hard and breaking it off in Speedo. Castle and MK racing gave me the benefit of the drought and replaced it for a new one (thank you). Just need to have smooth throttle out of corners. I Will only be using a 13.5 Novak Ballistic motor in X-ray 09 for west Kent indoor championships this summer. I know itís all been said before. Iím just a club racer so would be nice if you could post on your web site (Castle) a start setting for 17.5, 13.5, 10.5 motors on carpet indoors and asphalt out side, so it doesnít get lost in all the try this and that by different people. I know every track is different but just give us a good base to start from. I have a GM120 2010 Speedo now running 10.5 but still think in 13.5 class running GM and MMP. MMP was faster in 13.5 class just could not get smooth on the infield. Please donít shoot me down Iím only asking for settings put on castle web site.
Something could down load and try as a starting point.
Ben
Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #1039
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdelcast View Post
Hmmm, there isn't a MMP V2 on the horizon yet. There are other Mamba line controllers in R&D right now, but not an MMP V2.

We are in the process of improving some of the hardware on the MMP -- but not enough of a change to call it a "V2"

Patrick
I thought I heard you were redesigning the current MMP to have a smaller footprint and work with 1S-6S lipos so their would no longer be a special 1S version? Maybe your just redoing the case which doesn't warrant a V2 name, just wondering, thanks.
5280raceway.com [Operated by - Colorado On-Road RC Club]
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #1040
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodymot View Post
Right have two of these MMP Speedos and still think I am not getting the full potential from them. Only thing I canít get right is making it smooth in the infield and top end down the straight. Had one go wrong but it might have been me pushing sensor wire too hard and breaking it off in Speedo. Castle and MK racing gave me the benefit of the drought and replaced it for a new one (thank you). Just need to have smooth throttle out of corners. I Will only be using a 13.5 Novak Ballistic motor in X-ray 09 for west Kent indoor championships this summer. I know itís all been said before. Iím just a club racer so would be nice if you could post on your web site (Castle) a start setting for 17.5, 13.5, 10.5 motors on carpet indoors and asphalt out side, so it doesnít get lost in all the try this and that by different people. I know every track is different but just give us a good base to start from. I have a GM120 2010 Speedo now running 10.5 but still think in 13.5 class running GM and MMP. MMP was faster in 13.5 class just could not get smooth on the infield. Please donít shoot me down Iím only asking for settings put on castle web site.
Something could down load and try as a starting point.
Ben
I agree that there needs to be a place on the castle site for "default" or "Starting point" setups. And as the software allows you to save multiple profiles this should be pretty easy for them.

I have posted before about the smoothness of the controller and I just don't understand. I have been using this thing for a while and although it puts the power down, I really don't see it being less smooth than other brushless controllers. I would really like to know what you are talking about in terms of smoothness. Are you breaking tires loose out of the corner? I see where others are overshooting the corners. But I am still confused on how the controller is at fault. And as far as I am concerned the Tekin is worse. But again as I have stated before if you don't like the bottom end torque or the power band seems wrong, change the gearing. Remember before all the super speedos we were gearing TC's for stock in the 4.5 FDR range and now its close to 7. That's huge and by defualt give you much more torque to the tires than you had before. So if you are not liking the driving power gear up and lower the timing. If the throttle response is too abrupt then change the throttle curves. And by no means expect the same kind of power band that you get from a brushed motor and speed control. It just is not possible.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #1041
Tech Addict

I have to race on Sunday with a SP v3 7.5T on a big track with a straight of 65m and another one 45m, against mod 4.5T.Any recommended settings for gearing and cheat mode please?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #1042
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Maybe some people can post what they are running on here. I just purchased a mamba after people at the local track are flying by... Another racer has the laptop and i have uploaded all their settings, And with 17.5 they are way faster.. and my motors either blow up or get way too hot.. but they are not fast? 50* of timing in speedo and 0 on motor. My fdr is 5.5 and on the bench it rips but when its on the track it is so slow and over heats.. Any one have a good program fro 17.5 and a gear ratio to try???
WEEZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #1043
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZY View Post
Maybe some people can post what they are running on here. I just purchased a mamba after people at the local track are flying by... Another racer has the laptop and i have uploaded all their settings, And with 17.5 they are way faster.. and my motors either blow up or get way too hot.. but they are not fast? 50* of timing in speedo and 0 on motor. My fdr is 5.5 and on the bench it rips but when its on the track it is so slow and over heats.. Any one have a good program fro 17.5 and a gear ratio to try???
My guess is that you are way overgeared, and probably have a wrong RPM range

My local track is aboubt a 120ft Straight. My setup:
Novak ballistic 17.5 - 1.5 slashes past N timing
ESC: 50* timing
5000-15,100 RPM range
0 drag brake
med start power
linear throttle curve (-10% expo in radio)
6.74 FDR

With this, my motor runs about 180*F with a heatsink fan on it. The ESC settings should get you going, and just adjust the gear for your track layout And you should be able to rip everyone out of the hole

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #1044
Tech Regular

will do, thanks i will copy these and throw down. guess i was just wrong everywhere.... thanks bro
Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #1045
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
What motor are you running? as that makes a huge difference to the settings... Can you post the complete settings, should be able to help out
Old 05-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #1046
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if wezzy is over geared then there is something wrong cuz i am at like a 4.6 50* timeing. my 17.5 is crazy fast and i live in az where it is hot as hell and it comes off about 140 or so
Big White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #1047
Tech Regular

k im at work so cant check for sure but i can guestimate. First i used hacker motor. then speed pasion then trinity all got hot, so dont think its motor lol. \

i had 50* timing in cheat mode
believe the rpm range was 5,000-8,000 so the boost kicked in low.
running 17.5 all the time
no drag brake
start power was low
didnt have a throttle curve or agjust any of that on radio or speedo.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #1048
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
k im at work so cant check for sure but i can guestimate. First i used hacker motor. then speed pasion then trinity all got hot, so dont think its motor lol. \

no drag brake
start power was low
I would start by making the rpm range longer end closer to 10K. For the final drive ratio that you are running you are starting too high. I would get closer to 2500. I would also set your start power to high. As for the boost start with 35* and work your way up you should progressively get faster. There is a sweet spot between gearing, rpm range, and boost. I was having a similar problem with a Tekin and it turns out that I was giving the motor too much with the gearing. I adjusted the gearing and rpm range and gained over a 1sec per lap. The mamba seems to be a little more forgiving than the Tekin and has more rip out of the corners.
And if your are not accelerating fast enough try lowering your gear ratio to in the 6.5 range. See how this works.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #1049
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big White View Post
if wezzy is over geared then there is something wrong cuz i am at like a 4.6 50* timeing. my 17.5 is crazy fast and i live in az where it is hot as hell and it comes off about 140 or so
Each motor and track is different. Im gonna guess your track is a bit bigger than mine (which is fairly small).

Quote:

no drag brake
start power was low
Your definitely too tight on the RPM range, which will cause the symptoms you describe (slow, overheats). Open it up and watch the car come to life

Also, just an afterthought to some of the guys running mod using the CHEAT mode.. Many were complaining of too much rip. I recall seeing some relatively low RPM ranges with those setups (10k-20k or so). If you have say a novak 5.5 (7400kv), with a 2s lipo, you will be seeing upwards of 55,000 rpm, so you may not even want to get into the timing until 20k, and probably dont want to be fully applied until the very end (My 17.5 setup goes to 15.1k, max motor rpm on 7.4v is 16.3k). I wish our local club ran mod so I could give some first hand feedback on what to run, but for instance you could run a range of 19,000-52,300. You might find that to be much more driveable. Just some food for thought

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid

Last edited by geeunit1014; 05-11-2010 at 09:18 PM.
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #1050
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

G your right the rpm range has huge affect on temps of your motor, speed and how smooth the power hits.

Once I get the rpm range right my car has tons of punch and my motor temps come down without loosing any speed.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote