R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #931
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodymot View Post
Well spotted Max didnít see this before. If you can lower punch on infield with out losing top end would sort the only thing wrong with this Speedo (apart from brakes ). I Found it was only sensor wire on my second MMP Speedo so this one working OK. Will you be at maritime this Thursday, I will have notebook and link with me so if you need to use your more than welcome.
Ben
Hi Ben. I was reading the Castle support page and I thought, interesting. I have already taken out the esc for the lrp spx for this Thursday, but I haven't given up on the esc at all. I was thinking after last Thursday that the car was a bit easier to drive halfway through the final because it felt like a bit of power dropped off and it just need less current draw under acceleration. Maybe that might just work.

Thanks for letting me use the link of yours. I would like to have a test day again.
maxg123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #932
Tech Initiate

Hi

I need some help with castle link graph viewer
i donīt know how to make it work because i connect ESC to computer and thereīs nothing, i need to know wath i have to do to get that information
Please help me.

Thanks
Jopor
jopor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #933
Tech Regular

forget the castle link graph, you need to use the castle link v3.251 from the castlecreations website. remember to install as administrator, right click and run as administrator. once you have downleaded the .exe file.
plug the usb lead to ESC, you do not need to power the ESC with the battery, run the castle link program. change settings/hey presto!
whoopass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #934
Tech Regular

ed/tryhard what is your punch control setting at?
mine is at 10% for 13.5 (not tested yet) I had it on 'disabled/max' and the car at aldershot was horrible. too much punch when the timing kicked in, in-fact totally undriveable. could not run 2 consistent laps together
Old 04-23-2010, 01:41 AM   #935
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopass View Post
ed/tryhard what is your punch control setting at?
mine is at 10% for 13.5 (not tested yet) I had it on 'disabled/max' and the car at aldershot was horrible. too much punch when the timing kicked in, in-fact totally undriveable. could not run 2 consistent laps together
I had a decent improvement myself yesterday from the punch problems i've been having. I put in a 13.5 speed passion Version 1 motor in. My settings were 5.00FDR, esc timing 50 deg, rev range 3,100 to 18,000+ (yes for indoors!) and found that the horrorble surge of timing is almost eliminated and the speed down the straight is no slower than having a much lower end range, just a lot smoother. Its still not perfect as its very hard to put down the power, so I even had punch control upto 50%.

Just to add, I had a clean race between a well setup GM with a 13.5 also in (which was a great laugh in the A final) and this Mamba Pro torquemaster had a bit more speed everywhere, much more so in acceleration. I'm even thinking along the lines of trying a crazy low FDR and taking a lot of the esc timing off, as it always seems to have too much acceleration for me to handle (;-)

Last edited by maxg123456; 04-23-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #936
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg123456 View Post
I had a decent improvement myself yesterday from the punch problems i've been having. I put in a 13.5 speed passion Version 1 motor in. My settings were 5.00FDR, esc timing 50 deg, rev range 3,100 to 18,000+ (yes for indoors!) and found that the horrorble surge of timing is almost eliminated and the speed down the straight is no slower than having a much lower end range, just a lot smoother. Its still not perfect as its very hard to put down the power, so I even had punch control upto 50%.

Just to add, I had a clean race between a well setup GM with a 13.5 also in (which was a great laugh in the A final) and this Mamba Pro torquemaster had a bit more speed everywhere, much more so in acceleration. I'm even thinking along the lines of trying a crazy low FDR and taking a lot of the esc timing off, as it always seems to have too much acceleration for me to handle (;-)
That would help with the torque issue. I have been running a really high FDR since switching to the mamba. But I don't run with 50 degrees of timing. Unless the straight is huge there is no reason to go much above 35. The only problem like you said is that there is so much torque. And if you have ever run Mod then this should not really be much surprise as this is how mod is but worse. I would think with a FDR of 5 and just lowering the timing advance to the mid 30 range would take some of the punch out. I have the FDR at 6.8 and 35 timing and that is plenty fast down the straight. With tons of bottom end grunt. I was planning on trying a 5.5 FDR and even less timing to smooth out the bottom. I won't be able to try this out until next week sometime, but I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #937
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude View Post
That would help with the torque issue. I have been running a really high FDR since switching to the mamba. But I don't run with 50 degrees of timing. Unless the straight is huge there is no reason to go much above 35. The only problem like you said is that there is so much torque. And if you have ever run Mod then this should not really be much surprise as this is how mod is but worse. I would think with a FDR of 5 and just lowering the timing advance to the mid 30 range would take some of the punch out. I have the FDR at 6.8 and 35 timing and that is plenty fast down the straight. With tons of bottom end grunt. I was planning on trying a 5.5 FDR and even less timing to smooth out the bottom. I won't be able to try this out until next week sometime, but I will let you know how it goes.
This is exactly what i've experienced.
The question is, how far can you go lowering the FDR and at the same time reducing the esc timing to the extent the motor stays safe for 5 mins and keeps very good top end speed? I'll be testing this next week also. We might just get this right!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #938
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What motor are you running?

17.5 = 4.4 FDR max
13.5 = 4.7 FDR max

You go over this and you will burn up your motor.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #939
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
What motor are you running?

17.5 = 4.4 FDR max
13.5 = 4.7 FDR max

You go over this and you will burn up your motor.
Speed Passion 13.5r Feigo based Endless (version 1) Has a 12.5mm rotor in it.

I'm running 5.00FDR with 50 degree timing. It can make 5 mins fine.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #940
Tech Regular

well I have done some bench testing with the MMP and the punch control. as mentioned before I had the punch disabled, which=max power from the batts. I am running 50c. way too agressive and totally undriveable.

I dropped the punch to 50%, and on the bench is sounds way better, not so urgent. I will be running the MMP in anger on sunday in the 13.5 class with an LRP X.12 on about 5.7 FDR at an asphalt track with a 80 metre straight, she should rip...... will report back sun/mon and let you know
Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #941
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have to say, all this talk about punch settings etc... think I experienced it myself this past weekend (yes, I know it's friday, been busy ).

Basically, started out on the settings I was running previously, and progressively geared down (higher FDR). On the 29 tooth pinion (7.3fdr), car felt very nice and smooth to drive, but as I went smaller, started to behave a bit nastily imo, with an almost double step to how it came out the of the corner. On the 27t pinion, I really struggled, as there was also a lot of natural drag brake. Have to say, it also lost me a load of lap time.
I was only running 35deg of timing, and on the lower FDR had no issues with speed or temp. With the higher FDR I had to up the timing to 40odd degrees, which for me, made the issue worse! I think coupled with the higher ramp also didn't help.

Anyway, I think it's a case of playing around with the settings to get it too suit you, and not being afraid of using more gear, with less timing to smooth out the car.

Rob, I've been running no punch control at all... something else to add to the list!!

Cheers
Ed
Old 04-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #942
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If they can make the new firmware that will make this ESC smoother this will be the ESC to beat on the track and get rid of the cheap plastic casing I don't mind paying couple of extra bucks to make this ESC look a little nicer with an aluminum casing.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #943
Tech Regular

I will be running the MMP timing at 35 degs. standard timing on the x12 which I think is 2 dots?

with the timing this is my thoughts... let me know yours...

the x.12 motor has 3100 rpm per volt, multiply that by the nominal voltage of the lipo (7.4v) and the peak voltage 8.4v. 7.4x3100=22,940 RPM and 26,040.
so my thoughts if you add the 2 RPM values together, divide by 2= 24,490 RPM

so I know the average max RPM of the motor and would set the timing to come in at about 2/3 through the max RPM i.e 16,000 ish

what do you reckon... I would do the same calculation for 10.5/mod
also once the timing is set, I would then adjust the timing degrees and gearing and leave the timing start 16,000
Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #944
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopass View Post
I will be running the MMP timing at 35 degs. standard timing on the x12 which I think is 2 dots?

with the timing this is my thoughts... let me know yours...

the x.12 motor has 3100 rpm per volt, multiply that by the nominal voltage of the lipo (7.4v) and the peak voltage 8.4v. 7.4x3100=22,940 RPM and 26,040.
so my thoughts if you add the 2 RPM values together, divide by 2= 24,490 RPM

so I know the average max RPM of the motor and would set the timing to come in at about 2/3 through the max RPM i.e 16,000 ish

what do you reckon... I would do the same calculation for 10.5/mod
also once the timing is set, I would then adjust the timing degrees and gearing and leave the timing start 16,000
My issue with such a calculation (which is sound btw), is that the KV rating is a) no load, and b) measured with a static level of timing.
With all the new speedo's, the max amount of RPM the motor is producing will be much greater than given by the kv figure, simply because of the timing increase... as such, your max RPM figure is a moving target, if you will!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #945
Tech Regular

I get where you're coming from Ed, I did speak to a guy racing 10.5 indoor at newbury and he had an onboard telemetary system, now the 10.5 peak rpm in practice was 18,000!

I suspect with a 1350g TC, with the timing advance my calculations are not far off. would be good to know if anyone has done some testing as to max RPM with telemetary on 13.5 TC?