R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #916
PDM
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
I got the CHEAT MODE disabled so RPM is disabled too... I tried playing with the RPM with very little timing but I just don't like the way the throttle is applied on MODIFIED MOTOR... I'm pretty smooth on the throttle but this ESC is just way to aggressive for mod..

I have been driving mod for years but never had an ESC this aggressive.
Here we drive in tracks for 1/8 so they are big.

My experience is somehow different. I am driving a 9,5T SP and was looking for more power all the way, found it with the cheat mode, I will not tell you the timing I am using

Had the problem with the engage RPM as I told. Moved down the engage RPM.

My team mate is driving other motors, one of them a 6T Delta GM, and his first impression when moved from GM Genius120 to MMP was that the driving was more smooth with the MMP.

Both of us were looking for a more agressive delivery of power.

But we are in the beginning of the season, is possible to move for different conclusions.
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #917
Tech Adept

Sadly, although this esc works great on large tracks, i've come to the conclusion after trying every setting that this has too much low down power for 1/10th indoors. I've tried throttle curves, multiple timing start and ends, gearing between 5.50FDR and 8.50FDR, but in cheat mode the escs aggressive surge of timing, especially with 30 degrees or over on esc and even stock timing on my novak 10.5 makes the car overshoot every corner on tight hairpins.

I ended up taking other drivers out yesterday, having next to zero brakes so I cannot follow other cars closely with confidence. They're not so bad at low speed, but theres a huge lag after the timing kicks in.

If I turn it right down, it makes the whole benefit of having this esc useless, as having 30 degrees timing on the esc and leaving the motors timing alone equals simmilar top speeds to the SPX.
This is at the moment though. I hope future firmware updates make this thing have better drivability indoors with a 10.5. My car is wheelspinning around sweepers! - I've tried Tekins and GM escs with 10.5s and they have better driveability indoors when set correctly. I hope Castle Creations get this right soon.

My LRP SPX is going back in the car, but i'll await on the next firmware updates. I just hope its sorted quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Here we drive in tracks for 1/8 so they are big.

My experience is somehow different. I am driving a 9,5T SP and was looking for more power all the way, found it with the cheat mode, I will not tell you the timing I am using

Had the problem with the engage RPM as I told. Moved down the engage RPM.

My team mate is driving other motors, one of them a 6T Delta GM, and his first impression when moved from GM Genius120 to MMP was that the driving was more smooth with the MMP.

Both of us were looking for a more agressive delivery of power.

But we are in the beginning of the season, is possible to move for different conclusions.
maxg123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #918
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg123456 View Post
Sadly, although this esc works great on large tracks, i've come to the conclusion after trying every setting that this has too much low down power for 1/10th indoors. I've tried throttle curves, multiple timing start and ends, gearing between 5.50FDR and 8.50FDR, but in cheat mode the escs aggressive surge of timing, especially with 30 degrees or over on esc and even stock timing on my novak 10.5 makes the car overshoot every corner on tight hairpins.

I ended up taking other drivers out yesterday, having next to zero brakes so I cannot follow other cars closely with confidence. They're not so bad at low speed, but theres a huge lag after the timing kicks in.

If I turn it right down, it makes the whole benefit of having this esc useless, as having 30 degrees timing on the esc and leaving the motors timing alone equals simmilar top speeds to the SPX.
This is at the moment though. I hope future firmware updates make this thing have better drivability indoors with a 10.5. My car is wheelspinning around sweepers! - I've tried Tekins and GM escs with 10.5s and they have better driveability indoors when set correctly. I hope Castle Creations get this right soon.

My LRP SPX is going back in the car, but i'll await on the next firmware updates. I just hope its sorted quickly.
Sorry, not meaning this as a flame on you, but I can't believe that the speedo is too aggressive... Its by far and away one of the smoothest I've driven, almost to the point of being deceptively so!

Regarding a 10.5 setup, for a small track, you want too be looking at around 7.5-8 on the fdr. Ramp wise, 30deg, and 10k-15k ish. If your struggling with the low down punch, put the start power too medium, rather than high.
Oh and one other thing, make sure you reset the speedo to your tranny, can occasionally lose settings. Make sure the EPAs are all at 100%, with no curves. I've honestly not had any problem with the brakes on mine.

HiH
Ed
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #919
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Sorry, not meaning this as a flame on you, but I can't believe that the speedo is too aggressive... Its by far and away one of the smoothest I've driven, almost to the point of being deceptively so!

Regarding a 10.5 setup, for a small track, you want too be looking at around 7.5-8 on the fdr. Ramp wise, 30deg, and 10k-15k ish. If your struggling with the low down punch, put the start power too medium, rather than high.
Oh and one other thing, make sure you reset the speedo to your tranny, can occasionally lose settings. Make sure the EPAs are all at 100%, with no curves. I've honestly not had any problem with the brakes on mine.

HiH
Ed
Theres nothing wrong with how it actually feels. It just has remarkable torque at low speed. My car just understeers most of the time. It feels like i'm running 3s Lipo and I cannot use the power on tight tracks. I've tried as little as 25% throttle at low speed and it still wont hit the apexes right. It could be me being a touch harsh on the throttle but i'm not getting the benefit from this esc. I know it has more power and i've had a lot of time to alter my driving, but the fact is i'm half a second slower a lap with this esc.

You only need to talk to Ben and Darren about it and they run on the same track. Maritime Raceway. Ben watched my car yesterday and said it was spinning its wheels pretty much everywhere and my car had brand new tires on.

Maybe the brake issue is with the Novak, but it has no feel in the braking when theyre used from high speed. I have no confidence in racing other cars. If I use 7.5-8.5 FDR its even more torquey. The start power is only for initial throttle input. It doesn't actually have an effect on low speed punch, for me anyway.

I've tried 10,000 - 15,000rpm ramp and that lump when the timing surge comes in is even worse. 30deg timing makes the esc not far off an LRP SPX on the straights and i'm not going to benefit from this esc indoors. The best setting i've ever tried is 3000-18700rpm, because the ramp is long.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #920
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

OK guys the Problem with the MMP is when running lower turn motor like MOD on a small track is way too much power when running MOD. If the track is big and flowing like the kind of track you guys have and you don't use a lot of breaking MMP is awesome.

My track is fairly small with a lot of breaking needed and with this monster ESC is really hard to make it smooth when running MOD...

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #921
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Theres nothing wrong with how it actually feels. It just has remarkable torque at low speed. My car just understeers most of the time. It feels like i'm running 3s Lipo and I cannot use the power on tight tracks. I've tried as little as 25% throttle at low speed and it still wont hit the apexes right. It could be me being a touch harsh on the throttle but i'm not getting the benefit from this esc. I know it has more power and i've had a lot of time to alter my driving, but the fact is i'm half a second slower a lap with this esc.

You only need to talk to Ben and Darren about it and they run on the same track. Maritime Raceway. Ben watched my car yesterday and said it was spinning its wheels pretty much everywhere and my car had brand new tires on.

Maybe the brake issue is with the Novak, but it has no feel in the braking when theyre used from high speed. I have no confidence in racing other cars. If I use 7.5-8.5 FDR its even more torquey. The start power is only for initial throttle input. It doesn't actually have an effect on low speed punch, for me anyway.

I've tried 10,000 - 15,000rpm ramp and that lump when the timing surge comes in is even worse. 30deg timing makes the esc not far off an LRP SPX on the straights and i'm not going to benefit from this esc indoors. The best setting i've ever tried is 3000-18700rpm, because the ramp is long.
I agree with Max
What can I say! Had to put SPX back in because MMP sensor plug came off in Speedo and my other one is clogging (hope its only sensor wire).
Forgot what it was like to have brakes again. SPX is not as fast compared to MMP but with its smooth throttle and good brakes I was faster.
A few of us at maritime are trying all different setups to get this Speedo driveable on tight indoor track with 10.5BL (Novak ss & ballistic, Speed passion V3 motors).
With 13.5BL it’s a lot better but brakes are still weak.
I will be sending Speedo back for repair or exchange one of them is only 2 months old and will try again to get it working just hope they do another software update to help fix brakes and punch(its not only me who is finding brakes and punch a problem). I still think this Speedo is super fast and can be a match for other Speedo’s which cost £100 more.

Last edited by bodymot; 04-19-2010 at 06:33 AM.
bodymot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #922
Tech Adept

Default bodymot

I am tempted to race 13.5 with the MMP in the future, as that should take the sting out of the low speed throttle of a 10.5. Also, with timing set very high on the 13.5, it would still be faster than the SPX with a 10.5 and would be a better balance on a tight indoor track. This is all relevant only if they sort these brakes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodymot View Post
I agree with Max
What can I say! Had to put SPX back in because MMP sensor plug came off in Speedo and my other one is clogging (hope its only sensor wire).
Forgot what it was like to have brakes again. SPX is not as fast compared to MMP but with its smooth throttle and good brakes I was faster.
A few of us at maritime are trying all different setups to get this Speedo driveable on tight indoor track with 10.5BL (Novak ss & ballistic, Speed passion V3 motors).
With 13.5BL itís a lot better but brakes are still weak.
I will be sending Speedo back for repair or exchange one of them is only 3 months old and will try again to get it working just hope they do another software update to help fix brakes and punch(its not only me who is finding brakes and punch a problem). I still think this Speedo is super fast and can be a match for other Speedoís which cost £100 more.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #923
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Question can the Mamba max pro can it be use as 1S lipo set up? What do I need to do to make it works?

AE 12R5.1,Tekin RS PRO
17.5 super stock T.O.P PHOTON , TAMIYA M05 Mini
CEFX.. High Velocity Racing Motor

Last edited by Goingfast; 04-18-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Goingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #924
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to lightz2050

Anyone running MMP in a drag car or speed run car? I just want to get some feed back. Currently looking to purchase MMP for my funny, running 3-4C lipo with Castle 9000V motor. Any thought or suggestion!

Thanks!
Phil
lightz2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #925
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfast View Post
Question can the Mamba max pro can it be use as 1S lipo set up? What do I need to do to make it works?
ttt

AE 12R5.1,Tekin RS PRO
17.5 super stock T.O.P PHOTON , TAMIYA M05 Mini
CEFX.. High Velocity Racing Motor
Goingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #926
Tech Champion

Quote:
ttt
Yes you can

Believe you need either a booster or a reciever pack to supply the required BEC voltage. If your using a non-1s version (i.e. the standard one), I'm not too sure what you need to do to the BEC settings to get it too work, but I do know some people have run them in 12ths before.

HiH
Ed
Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #927
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightz2050 View Post
Anyone running MMP in a drag car or speed run car? I just want to get some feed back. Currently looking to purchase MMP for my funny, running 3-4C lipo with Castle 9000V motor. Any thought or suggestion!

Thanks!
Phil
I am not sure about drag cars but I would assume so. The world record speed run car is using a mamba. And I am using it in a 1/8 scale with 4S. So you should be fine running it in a funny car.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #928
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
There is a version just for 1S applications. It has the internal BEC removed, and also the fan removed. I have one in my Diggity Designs TC3. I don't run it on 1S LiPo though, I run on 2S LiFe powering receiver and servo directly off of the main pack.
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #929
Tech Adept

Default Low voltage cutoff

Having read the question and answer support on the Mamba Max esc, it states that manipulating the cutoff for both Lipo and Nimh to a higher value can reduce torque and punch. For example 6v to 7v. The question is, has anyone tried this with a Mamba Max Pro, and does it work in reducing punch out of the corners and in general acceleration without sacrificing top end speed?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #930
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Having read the question and answer support on the Mamba Max esc, it states that manipulating the cutoff for both Lipo and Nimh to a higher value can reduce torque and punch. For example 6v to 7v. The question is, has anyone tried this with a Mamba Max Pro, and does it work in reducing punch out of the corners and in general acceleration without sacrificing top end speed?
Well spotted Max didn’t see this before. If you can lower punch on infield with out losing top end would sort the only thing wrong with this Speedo (apart from brakes ). I Found it was only sensor wire on my second MMP Speedo so this one working OK. Will you be at maritime this Thursday, I will have notebook and link with me so if you need to use your more than welcome.
Ben