Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #691
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
Hey Quick question does anybody know if there is any difference in what you can program between the mamba max pro and the sidewinder?? As i only run 17.5 and would like to give it a go if i can adjust everything like the the pro just different motor handling capabilities. Also do the updates work for both??
The Sidewinder don't have a cheat mode as that is for the MMP that can run sensored mode. The SIdewinder is a sensorless speedo and while you can adjust everything the same way via the computer the screens are a little different between the two.

The updates work on all the Castle speedos but not every update is for the same speedo. You can see what updates you get and what speedos they apply to on the Castle Website. They show what updates are available for each speedo.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #692
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
THe more timing you add the more topend you will have, more heat in the motor and less torque. Taking timing away will do the opposite and give you more torque, less topend and less heat in the motor.
I just read in another thread that when the cheat timing kicks in, the actual timing advance on the motor endbell is ignored by the software and becomes irrelevant. That sounds a little fishy. is that true?

So if i have cheat kicking in at 5000 rpm, the endbell timing is only affecting the heat/torque/topend in the 0-5000 rpm range, correct?
rdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #693
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdur View Post
I just read in another thread that when the cheat timing kicks in, the actual timing advance on the motor endbell is ignored by the software and becomes irrelevant. That sounds a little fishy. is that true?

So if i have cheat kicking in at 5000 rpm, the endbell timing is only affecting the heat/torque/topend in the 0-5000 rpm range, correct?
I never asked Castle is the motor timing is ignored or not when in cheat mode but either way the affect is still the same. Adding timing equals more heat, more topend, and less torque. I'm not sure how the speedo could skip the timing already in the motor. I guess it is possible but never heard of timing being skipped by the speedo.

If you have the cheat set at 5000 as the starting rpm that is when the timing from the speedo will start kicking in and the finish rpm is when you will have max timing from the speedo. I have always added the motor timing and speedo timing together to figure out what I have for max timing.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #694
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdur View Post

Thats sounds very fishy... The esc adds timing to whatever is in the motor. When your adjusting the motor timing, your physically moving the sensors in relation to the rotor, and there is no way of the speedo sensing this (yet!).
So by adding timing in the motor, your adding it through the whole rev range.

HiH
Ed
Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #695
Tech Addict

Any news when the MMP will be in stock again? It's out of stock over 2 months now.How long we sould wait for?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #696
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Thats sounds very fishy... The esc adds timing to whatever is in the motor. When your adjusting the motor timing, your physically moving the sensors in relation to the rotor, and there is no way of the speedo sensing this (yet!).
So by adding timing in the motor, your adding it through the whole rev range.

HiH
Ed

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the mmp uses hybrid drive as I think does the tekin.

ie it works as a sensored speedo at low rpm to give better start up. But once moving the speedo switches to sensorless operation.

Altering the position of the sensors on the motor will do absolutely nothing when the speedo is running in sensorless mode.
tortoise 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #697
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise 1 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the mmp uses hybrid drive as I think does the tekin.

ie it works as a sensored speedo at low rpm to give better start up. But once moving the speedo switches to sensorless operation.

Altering the position of the sensors on the motor will do absolutely nothing when the speedo is running in sensorless mode.
It can do (there is that option selectable in the software) but for the CHEAT mode to work, it's fully sensored, as there's no sensor detection in sensorless mode

Regards
Ed
Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #698
Tech Apprentice

Default MMP with Ballistic 13.5

Sorry if this is a bit long but I am just over the moon with this Speedo .

Ran 13.5 ballistic at west Kent this Sunday and a friend turned up who brought MMP the day before. Well this Speedo just gets better; the only thing that lets it down is my Driving! We were both running nearly the same Speedo settings, me with X-ray and ballistic motor. he was running a Schumacher and SP Motor, FDR near the same no fan on motors, in the end I was running FDR 6.28 and 50T degrees cheat mode, motor timing 1+ point passed N on Novak 13.5 ballistic, might even try less timing (because ballistic motor N is 30+). Tried 2 points + passed N on the timing, motor came off at 170f+ after 5mins race.Turned back to 1+ point pass N, Temp went down to 160f no loss of speed. Their is still more speed to come from this Speedo. Looking forward to talking to (TryHard) Ed Clark from horizon at next carpet wars. Never too old to learn (It might just be me) when you first try this Speedo use punch control, then slowly turn it down till you get used to the power then turn it off on high grip tracks.
I couldnít just jam full throttle out of the corners like I used to with Nosram, LRP because the punch felt so much stronger. Learn to slow your fingers down. I have saved setting of what I ran for 13.5 Novak ballistic which I found a good starting point for 11 to 13 second average a lap size track. Change for your driving style and how long the straight is. When saving setups I found didnít show when I went back to reload them, just change to show all files to find or just add .dat to end of new file you saved, then they will show straight away.
Finale setting 13.5 Novak ballistic.
FDR 6.28
Timing on motor 1 point +(5degree) passed N ? Will try N next time, runs cooler
Cheat mode 50degrees= 3,800 to 5,100 rpm
Punch Disabled.
Brake 100%
Drag brake 30%
Start Power Med
This is just a starting point to try
Remember Iím not a expert, but this was fast on both our cars .
Hope this helps
Old 03-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #699
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodymot View Post
Am I wrong, or is this really low, and will cost this a lot of torque, and give you a lot of motor heat???? I had it in my 12th scale on 8500 - 19000,
Have it with a TC and a 13,5T SP on 8500 - 27000 (somewhere arount that).

Best Regards

Robert

Last edited by Robert_K; 03-03-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:55 AM   #700
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Am I wrong, or is this really low, and will cost this a lot of torque, and give you a lot of motor heat???? I had it in my 12th scale on 8500 - 19000,

Best Regards

Robert
You might be right but we tried higher rpm about 5800 start 9500 end and found boost didn’t come in till Ĺ way down the straight and was not getting full timing coming in. Tried smaller pinion 7.8 FDR but found because the 13.5 spins up slower lost out on punch. I know it doesn’t seem right, bigger pinion more punch out of corners (13.5). We just change the start rpm till boost started to come in at the beginning of the straight and finish before the end. Both our cars were just as fast or faster on the straight and coming out of the corners than the GM, SPX, and I think SXX, Speedo’s.
Everyone is different,motors, driving, tracks, we always checked the temp of the motors at the end of a race, which everyone should do. I am new to finding a Speedo rpm start and finish, always ran SPX touring spec type of Speedo were you have to set the FDR of the car so the boost came in at the right time sometimes running 8.6 or more with a 10.5 motor. I’m still learning looking forward to talking to Ed Clark (Horizon) for setups. I might be wrong but think your rpm is too high and not getting the full benefit of the boost on this Speedo, I know BL motors can rev a lot more off load but on load and on the track might not be so much. OR I could be totally wrong. just make sure you check motor temp with every change of Speedo setup
All the best
Ben

Last edited by bodymot; 03-03-2010 at 06:31 AM.
bodymot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #701
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max Pro esc

Question; Has anyones ran the mamba Max Pro TC in Snowbird?

AE 12R5.1,Tekin RS PRO
17.5 super stock T.O.P PHOTON , TAMIYA M05 Mini
CEFX.. High Velocity Racing Motor

Last edited by Goingfast; 03-03-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Goingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #702
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you might wanna go with 4.5 - 4.7 FDR on Novak ballistic Motor you will be suprise what this motor can do. Change your RPM setting to start at 4500-5000 RPM.... other than thaat your setup is pretty good you have your break at 100% that is fine since this ESC have a weak break....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodymot View Post
Sorry if this is a bit long but I am just over the moon with this Speedo .

Ran 13.5 ballistic at west Kent this Sunday and a friend turned up who brought MMP the day before. Well this Speedo just gets better; the only thing that lets it down is my Driving! We were both running nearly the same Speedo settings, me with X-ray and ballistic motor. he was running a Schumacher and SP Motor, FDR near the same no fan on motors, in the end I was running FDR 6.28 and 50T degrees cheat mode, motor timing 1+ point passed N on Novak 13.5 ballistic, might even try less timing (because ballistic motor N is 30+). Tried 2 points + passed N on the timing, motor came off at 170f+ after 5mins race.Turned back to 1+ point pass N, Temp went down to 160f no loss of speed. Their is still more speed to come from this Speedo. Looking forward to talking to (TryHard) Ed Clark from horizon at next carpet wars. Never too old to learn (It might just be me) when you first try this Speedo use punch control, then slowly turn it down till you get used to the power then turn it off on high grip tracks.
I couldnít just jam full throttle out of the corners like I used to with Nosram, LRP because the punch felt so much stronger. Learn to slow your fingers down. I have saved setting of what I ran for 13.5 Novak ballistic which I found a good starting point for 11 to 13 second average a lap size track. Change for your driving style and how long the straight is. When saving setups I found didnít show when I went back to reload them, just change to show all files to find or just add .dat to end of new file you saved, then they will show straight away.
Finale setting 13.5 Novak ballistic.
FDR 6.28
Timing on motor 1 point +(5degree) passed N ? Will try N next time, runs cooler
Punch Disabled.
Brake 100%
Drag brake 30%
Start Power Med
This is just a starting point to try
Remember Iím not a expert, but this was fast on both our cars .
Hope this helps

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #703
Tech Elite

on 13.5 motor you want your timing to kick in at around 4500-5000 RPM and end RPM 9000-1000 RPM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post

Best Regards

Robert

Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #704
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
on 13.5 motor you want your timing to kick in at around 4500-5000 RPM and end RPM 9000-1000 RPM...
So you want it to kick on at 3-4 mph and be topped out by 10mph? That doesn't seem right,thats pretty much all on all the time
Tread1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #705
Tech Elite

Setting up your RPM will all depends on your track layout. Start RPM of 4500-5000 is a good starting point for any track. Timing Advance only work at peak RPM that means advancing your timing will only gives you an advantage mainly on the high speed section of the track where you can go wide open. If your in the technical section of the track I don't think you will reach that RPM that said your not using any timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread1 View Post
So you want it to kick on at 3-4 mph and be topped out by 10mph? That doesn't seem right,thats pretty much all on all the time