R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
With the right coupons, you can score this thing for like $120 shipped. If it can hang with a certain $400 ESC, it will be very interesting.
The size of it will be the deciding factor. It's larger then a GTB, so anything 1/12th scale is most certainly out of the question. Reading that thread said it may have to be "internally modified." Some guys just take this stuff EXTRA serious I guess.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
The size of it will be the deciding factor. It's larger then a GTB, so anything 1/12th scale is most certainly out of the question. Reading that thread said it may have to be "internally modified." Some guys just take this stuff EXTRA serious I guess.
Yeah, it's definitely hefty, though some of that size is the capacitor board that's integrated into the case. It's also kind of rectangular, so it can fit (long ways) on a TC chassis without hanging over the edge.

I'm trying to figure out what ESC is next for me. I'm leaning toward the SXX Stock Spec, but its lack of futureproofing kind of bugs me.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Yeah, it's definitely hefty, though some of that size is the capacitor board that's integrated into the case. It's also kind of rectangular, so it can fit (long ways) on a TC chassis without hanging over the edge.

I'm trying to figure out what ESC is next for me. I'm leaning toward the SXX Stock Spec, but its lack of futureproofing kind of bugs me.
Good point I guess, it fits in my Type R without too much hang over. The Mamba software is really cool. I haven't played around with saving profiles and stuff, but it's pretty cool so far. I plan to work on it extensively tomorrow.

www.summitrcraceway.com
Old 11-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
I guess they take the voltage regulator off the board for 1 cell.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Will this compete with the turbo feature on the Tekin?
Lugnutz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #36
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OH YA. It's far better than the turbo feature in Tekin. I own both and this controller is much faster.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #37
Tech Master

Ok guys, first day in and here's the report. 2 main points I want to cover with everyone...

GOOD NEWS
1. Damn this thing is fast! I was running 21.5 today, 30 deg advance in CHEAT mode, all in at 8000 rpm. Was just as fast as my Tekin v.198 and 30 degrees cooler. My car was bad today and just couldn't put anymore to it. I want to work on getting dialed back in and really lean into this thing. Lots of potential is apparent.

BAD NEWS
2. Thing was intermittently shutting off. I'm running a 3PKS with Spektrum Pro module and the SR3001 receiver. On the bench I could get it to cut out by slapping the front tires like a moderate impact would. I could get it to cut out at will. I changed to a SR3000 receiver and it did the same thing. I tried running a cap on the receiver and it did not help. All I can think of is something with the current spike the servo is experiencing at impact is browning out the BEC on the speed control.

Anyone else have any experience like this? I plan to email and/or call Castle tomorrow. If we can straighten this out I plan to buy at least one more for CORR truck racing.

If I can't get any help from Castle in the next day or two, I plan to run the lipo receiver pack, switch, and Castle BEC from my WGT car. It will be a few days until I can try it, but it's the only way I can see proving the speedo BEC is laying down.

Ben

www.summitrcraceway.com

Last edited by sportpak; 11-15-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got one of these ESCs and used it this weekend. I was unable to calibrate it to my transmitter (DX3s). Anyone come up with a solutuon?

Thanks
05tuonojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
BAD NEWS
2. Thing was intermittently shutting off. I'm running a 3PKS with Spektrum Pro module and the SR3001 receiver. On the bench I could get it to cut out by slapping the front tires like a moderate impact would. I could get it to cut out at will. I changed to a SR3000 receiver and it did the same thing. I tried running a cap on the receiver and it did not help. All I can think of is something with the current spike the servo is experiencing at impact is browning out the BEC on the speed control.

Anyone else have any experience like this? I plan to email and/or call Castle tomorrow. If we can straighten this out I plan to buy at least one more for CORR truck racing.
I posted about the shutting off thing on the previous post but people kind of blew it off like it was user error. Two of my three mmpro's are doing it and another guy at the track is having the same problem. I had it happen four times in one race today, once in another race and I managed two races with no issues. My other two cars had no issues today. I was told by one guy to turn the delay up to 2 1/2 seconds and that seemed to help one of my cars out. It didn't help the other car though.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcel View Post
I posted about the shutting off thing on the previous post but people kind of blew it off like it was user error. Two of my three mmpro's are doing it and another guy at the track is having the same problem. I had it happen four times in one race today, once in another race and I managed two races with no issues. My other two cars had no issues today. I was told by one guy to turn the delay up to 2 1/2 seconds and that seemed to help one of my cars out. It didn't help the other car though.
I saw your post and hoped I wouldn't have the same issue. I emailed Castle tonight, so hopefully they have something for us. Obviously it's a bug or bad batch of hardware. I'm going to try the receiver pack this week just to isolate the BEC. I won't run it like that forever, hopefully Castle can get us fixed up quickly.

First days impression is very positive other then this. I raised the delay to 3 sec and nothing different happened.

www.summitrcraceway.com
Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have any of you downloaded and installed the latest software which contains 2 newer version FW for the ESC?

This may help with the radio cal and intermittent shutting off issues.

The latest software release is 3.22.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I haven't got my castle link from Castle yet so I can't update yet. Should be here soon.
05tuonojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #43
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tuonojoe View Post
I haven't got my castle link from Castle yet so I can't update yet. Should be here soon.
I thought the Casle Link comes with MMP?
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #44
Tech Regular

i`m out for a new esc, has anyone tried to fit a mmp in a tamiya 416 car? i`m not sure that it will fit in a good way because of the size.
Hatebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
I thought the Casle Link comes with MMP?
Nope, it comes with a coupon for a free one. I don't completely understand the reasoning for it but that's how they did it.