Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Old 03-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

bump,
Only because I have dug my old factory team out from under the stairs and started to use it again.
What a great car, I had forgotten how good it was.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Shocks are the same, frt & rear. Clicker type shock were from Serpents Impulse, Impact & Vector models. Still run the T1 ever since it came out. Just upgraded to brushless and lipo's. Still a Hell of a vehicle.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
ODB
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Kudos to those who have taken this T1 thread TTT where it belongs. I love my FK05. Great car, very affordable, and durable once you upgrade the C-Hubs to aluminum. Also, I like having the belts protected by the top plate rather than being exposed.

On a side note, I am missing an aluminum shock body, so if anyone has some spares lying around, PM me with a shipped quote. Part number 308320. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

So about 7 years ago I got into this racing scene with the purchase of a Schumacher Axis II. Great beginners car buy a little limited so I soon up-graded to the new at the time Losi XXX-S. Again, a great car and I stuck with it for about a year but because I was still a little shit and I was breaking hubs and caster blocks often I felt a change was needed so i got the TC3 FT. This didn't last to long with me as the build quility was pritty poor so again soon after I invested in the Yok SD.
I stuck with Yokomo for about 2 years buying 3 over the years and my ability was improveing also which helped. This all changed though when a close friend bought a T1R and asked me to build it for him.

Typical xray build quality which I had never experienced up till this point which was enough to got me to buy one for myself.

My first race with the T1R was at a National meeting and I won the B final in Stock! My best result up ever at this point.
Soon after I invested in the Factory Team Edition and loved it. I ran this car for over a year and I got the 05 when it was released.
The Factory Team was left under the stairs and forgotten about, until Monday!

Up to last week I was running the 007 and I was happy with the car but I fancied a change so it got sold to a friend. I was all set to get a Yok BD when I was hit with a huge electricity & Gas bill which has taken all my car savings

I remembered the old car under the stairs and out she came. After a bit of work on the bearings (ceramic fitted now) and some grinding for NiMh 4200 placement I was ready to try it again after being under the stairs for 4 years.

I ran it last night at a very competitive club with a 13.5 against a 10.5 field and I was please to say the least.
Because of the cell placement and motor possition the car has fantastic balance straight away. The new bearings made a huge help also and by fitting some TRF shocks the car felt great in the corners.
I feel that with a little bit of work over the coming weeks with set-up I will be quicker then I was with my 007!

I let you know how it goes on Monday as there is a big meeting on Sunday

Regards
Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

I found a stash of NIP parts at the local carpet track and bought a bunch of spares last week. The part numbers were close to the ones in the manual. The arms and hubs are of the hard material instead of the kits' medium.....I believe this what the number difference is.....the parts all look the same. Anyone else run into this?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Wow am I happy to see this thread...I traded my XXXT MF2 for an FK04 last year just to have an asphalt car to play with and have been extremely happy with my trade ever since. I was coerced into racing at the Jackson Miss Bass Pro series and am proud to say that it is every bit as competitive as anything else out there now, at least in Stock rubber tire. I have had a couple of hardcore XRay guys come up to me asking if it was a T1, then commenting that they think it is probably the most well balanced XRay chassis produced to date and the easiest to drive at the limit. And they say you cant teach old dogs new tricks.....

-rocky b
Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

The Xray T104FK has been the best car I have driven. I bought mine second hand off ebay for $350 complete package with tires, batteries, radio, spare parts enough to build a second car so the whole works with it. I must say it has been very competitive at the local track beating brand new model kits such as the TC5 and the Serpant S4000. Ive been asked many questions why did you buy a T104FK because it had everything to get me racing. So all up a great car and still very competitive against newer models and there is nothing wrong with buying a second hand car.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Tech Regular

Haveing owned mine from new its great to get it running again. But it did remind me when I was working on it of all the people that I used to race it against and how many of them have left the hobby.

I think this will be my last year aswell so its fitting to me that I end it with a car that I almost started with.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used to have two T1's and a T2 007 but they were distroyed in a fire last year. anyway I have a bag of parts available for a T1 that includes a set of front and rear aluminum hubs in good condition if anyone is interested. let me know and i'll see what all is in the bag.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by flatspunout
Wow am I happy to see this thread...I traded my XXXT MF2 for an FK04 last year just to have an asphalt car to play with and have been extremely happy with my trade ever since. I was coerced into racing at the Jackson Miss Bass Pro series and am proud to say that it is every bit as competitive as anything else out there now, at least in Stock rubber tire. I have had a couple of hardcore XRay guys come up to me asking if it was a T1, then commenting that they think it is probably the most well balanced XRay chassis produced to date and the easiest to drive at the limit. And they say you cant teach old dogs new tricks.....

-rocky b
Yea while I've gotten a lot of good use out of the MF2 that FK04 was a great car, you remember I get first dibs when you sell it right Rocky.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Had a mixed result with the old girl over the weekend.
I started the day off with a car that understeered on higher speed corners and then was over steering on the slow corners! So I worked hard on set-up to find a more balanced car by shortening the wheel base by 2mm and changing spring rates and camber.
By the end of qualifing I was 10th in the A for 27t which I was happy with all things considered.

For the final I had plenty of time to change some things so I took off the TRF shocks that had been so good on the 007 and compared them to the old xray ones and discovered they where about 7mm shorter, so I quickly rebuilt the xray ones with 45wt old and 3 hole open all round and fitted them to the car.
I also changed the motor for a freshly zapped one and re-brushed with some f-lines.
The last thing I changed was the gearing and i was set.

In the final the car felt fantastic! I had no over-steer issues and really good amounts of steering for turn-in on both low and high speed corners. The propere length shocks also allowed me to through the car into corners much harder. The car had good corner speed and because of the shorter wheel base it rotated really well also.
In the end I moved up to 3rd place after about 3 minutes and I was making good progress on 2nd but I hit a bot-dot and rolled it!!.
This put me back down to 5th which is where I stayed for the remaining race.
Overall it felt like a win and I set the second fastest lap in 27t on the day.

My next race is out-doors, fingers crossed.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris moore
Yea while I've gotten a lot of good use out of the MF2 that FK04 was a great car, you remember I get first dibs when you sell it right Rocky.
Absolutely Chris but I don't see it going anywhere (except to the FRONT) anytime soon buddy! Glad to hear the MF2 is being put to good use, electric offroad is pretty much dead here!

-rocky b
Old 03-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by part-time racer
The new bearings made a huge help
How would you describe the difference going from the stock bearings to ceramic bearings? How does it make the car perform any differently?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
How would you describe the difference going from the stock bearings to ceramic bearings? How does it make the car perform any differently?
This applies to any car with regards to the fitting of ceramic over steel bearings.

The speed at which the car accelerates from still to flat out is not improved greatly but once the car is in motion you will notice it collect speed faster from off power to on power situations ie, corner to corner and its in these in-field locations at you will see the real benifit of these bearings. I have no idea what this difference is in time over a race distance, maybe a couple of seconds. But it helps me make the FT a little more competitive against much new machinary.

However, if you are crashing regulary during the 5 minutes or struggle to maintain a good racing line then the ceramic bearing will not give you any advantages. These bearings can be a large expense so you need to be confident in your own abilities in my opinion.

Regards
Richard.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

How are you FK04 owners mounting motor cooling fans? I know Team Tamale makes one for the T1 FK's but I have heard that it works on the 05 but not the 04. Right now I have the fan mounted to a lexan standoff that I zip-tied to the rear bulkhead, but it looks hack and I don't think the fan is close enough to the motor to really be very effective. Also if anyone has front and rear swaybars they are looking to get rid of I'd be happy to take them off your hands!

-rocky b

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.