Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

black pieces are there and the cvds are perfectly straight
Old 03-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you have the front dif tightened too tight or locked it up then the dif will vibrate between the bulk heads. I almost got rid of my car when I couldent figure out what the hell was happening. I blew a few bearings from this again. If not. who knows?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just a thought, are any of the blades (the black plastic protectors on the end of the axles) broken through? I don't think it would cause what you are describing, but this is the only thing I can think other than the things that were already mentioned here and on the XRay site.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Are you using the spring steel axles or the aluminum ones? Sometimes the alum. gets these slight dents/indents in them and can disturb the cvd's when turning left or right.

Also check that you're pulley is clean. I had some track debry (rubbery foam stuff) in mine and cleaned it out with a tooth pick and air compressor.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default TWISTING CVDS UPDATE

My front left CVD has twisted a full 180 degrees, yes, 180 degrees

I will be getting the steel ones for sure and maybe the graphite shaft to take some load off those poor CVD's and oneway gears.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: TWISTING CVDS UPDATE

Originally posted by dontfeelcold

I will be getting the steel ones for sure and maybe the graphite shaft to take some load off those poor CVD's and oneway gears.
no kidding? how did you manage that?
got pics?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: TWISTING CVDS UPDATE

Originally posted by dontfeelcold

I run modified with a spool and both front CVD's have twisted. In fact I recently had the end brake off one of them. Unfortunately, this is something that is going to happen eventually when you run a spool or one-way because there is no give under acceleration so all of the torque is transmitted though the CVD, which causes the CVD to twist some under acceleration. Every time the CVD twists it springs back to close to its original position. As a result every time you accelerate the CVD permanently twists a little more.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hitting the barrier on a left hand corner doesn't help. the fact that there is no give in the drivetrain causes this I reckon
Old 03-20-2005, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

Those who run the spring steel hexes on the front of your car, is the only advantage that they don't bend outwards when the drive shaft gets jammed into them?

I've noticed that the front wheels chatter when turned at high throttle. I have the aluminum hexes, which became bent slightly, but I dremeled out the inside of them so that the dogbone can no longer make contact.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Speedo
Those who run the spring steel hexes on the front of your car, is the only advantage that they don't bend outwards when the drive shaft gets jammed into them?

I've noticed that the front wheels chatter when turned at high throttle. I have the aluminum hexes, which became bent slightly, but I dremeled out the inside of them so that the dogbone can no longer make contact.
Speedo, ever since I switched to the spring steel hexes, I haven't had a bent axle or front wheel chatter. When I use to run the spool, I would have to dremel/hammer/dremel/hammer those aluminum hexes just to get them out and the bearings off. But that's why I got used to going fast with a diff. I'm going to try using the one-way again today. The dremeling the inside trick works pretty good too.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Hey guys sorry for any repeat but i have been running associated for 5 years recently bought a fk04 any idea for asphalt and concrete setup any help would be appreciated.

Steve eaves
Old 03-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Good luck man!

Whats going on man. I thought you and Monte were coming this way.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Hey midnight give me a call.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by kidDynomite
Speedo, ever since I switched to the spring steel hexes, I haven't had a bent axle or front wheel chatter. When I use to run the spool, I would have to dremel/hammer/dremel/hammer those aluminum hexes just to get them out and the bearings off. But that's why I got used to going fast with a diff. I'm going to try using the one-way again today. The dremeling the inside trick works pretty good too.
i have wheel chatter too. so what exactly causes it? (i use the aluminum ones) i know buying the steel ones would be a quick fix but hwat if you dont have money for htat like me? any way to fix it?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

What happens with the aluminum hexes is that upon impact the driveshaft is pushed into the axel, bending the axel outwards. I think this causes the axel not to spin true.

I have ordered the spring steel axels, and am hoping they will fix the problem. If you can't buy the steel ones, and your aluminum ones are already bent, you are probably out of luck. You could possibly save some money by buying another pair of aluminum axels, and use a dremel to take some material out of the inside of the axel so that the driveshaft can't make contact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.