Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by Buster Bennett
RCCadet,

Please do not feel that you NEED to change to the Nylon ones, if you are not noticing that your bearings are spinning in the Alum ones you are perfectly fine. There is no improvement in performance by using the Nylon ones, it is only to make for sure that the bearing will not spin inside. If your bearing is spinning you will be able to see the marks inside very easily.
Performance is not the concern, I understand that there is nothing to gain performance wise. I was hoping that someone would comment about the ease of installment and removal of the bearings. If the Nylon cups give way for the bearings to slip inside them, I will avoid them.

I recall when the cups where first introduced and its purpose was to replace the alu cups due to difficult bearing installment.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

spongebob, I bought a set of the XRay HQ "blue" bearings, at TCHR before going to Milwaukee. I cleaned them out, used some light oil, ran them without the sheilds, and the car was VERY free. But, I never ran the original bearings without the sheilds. I guess for $45 or whatever I paid, I know I've got good bearings, and an almost new set of spares.

spongebob, did you run Saturday? How'd it go?
Old 01-29-2002, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

I was there Saterday, it was a lot of fun and a pretty good turnout to boot. I ended up 4th or 5th I think, not sure. The car keeps getting better and better every run. How was Millwalkee? I wish I would have went. As for bearings I was just looking to get some backups incase one blows out. Maybe if I can get to the track when the UPS guy shows up I'll have a chance at some.LOL
Old 01-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey JeffC, can you elaborate about running without the sheilds on the bearings?????

Would this lower their life expectancy? I am guessing its 100x more maintainance?
Old 01-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Tech Adept

I run the sheilds on the bearings that are used on the diffs, but I remove the shields that are on the inside part of the front steering knuckles and the rear uprights. I have not had a problem doing it this way so far.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by Buster Bennett
I run the sheilds on the bearings that are used on the diffs, but I remove the shields that are on the inside part of the front steering knuckles and the rear uprights. I have not had a problem doing it this way so far.
Long time no see Buster
Old 01-29-2002, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

Why hello Mr. Novarossi
How is it going in the outback?
Old 01-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Arv... Good luck at the Snow Birds. I looked up a track here in Kuala Lumpar and found one. They have a holiday on Friday so since I do not have to work I may go by there to see what is up. Seeing that I am totally screwed up mentally right now after the 20 hour plane trip I probably will not make it to The Track on Saturday. I wil stop by Buster on Friday. I get into Dulles at 9:30am and have to go into work by 2PM so I will stop by on my way to work and buy a car and then this weekend I will put it together.

Talk to you guys later.

Mike Webb
Old 01-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Mulder, running without the sheilds really frees things up alot. I'm sure it will wear the bearings out much faster, if you don't take care of them. I was at the US TC Chamionships all weekend, and wanted (needed) every bit of speed I could get. I only ran the HQ bearings for the heats and main. During practice, I ran the original bearings, with sheilds installed. The car seemed to roll more into a corner with the new bearings, but I didn't notice much extra down the straights. For club races, I'll run the HQ bearings with the sheilds.

spongebob, Milwaukee was a blast! I finished 9th in the B main, but almost made the A. I was on a 21-5:05 run in my 3rd heat, then biffed it a couple times and dropped to a 21-5:12. That put me 7th in the B! (would've been top-5 in the A with the 5:05 run). After the 4th round, I started 9th in the B. First lap I launced off the corner dots, and got stuck against the wall. I caught up to traffic again later on, got hacked... Carey Beck broke, so I finished 9th.

Jeff Ford finished 2nd in the Stock A, Jason Cheng 3rd. Josh Ford won the Sportsman A! He's not allowed to run Sportsman at Trackside anymore... lol. Ryan Van Horn finished 5th or 6th in the Pro Stock B main, Klick was in the Pro Stock B too, I think. I'm not sure where the others finished, but we all had a great time. I'm planning on going again next year.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Oh, Dan Olivarez (?) won the Stock B main.

Also, the Pro Stock A main had all the factory dudes in it. Kinwald, Baker, Lemeiux (won it), Todd Hodge, Jucha, Jun, etc, etc... So, the guys who made the Pro Stock B main were dialed.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Jeffc and Buster!

I think I will race with my bearing shields on for now . Hey just wondering if you guys know who Scott Smither or Martin Crisp are? I want to know if US is aware of Canadian RC talents.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:26 AM
Tech Adept

Mulder,

Martin Crisp was here for the Trinity race. He placed in the top of the A main in mod class. He was a VERY good driver, AND he was driving a Tamiya.

Modified A Main Results
-- Touring Mod. - A MAIN --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 21 5:12.22 DAVID SPASHETT (Losi,Trinity)
2 4 21 5:14.36 CRAIG XAVIER (Losi,Trinity)
3 5 20 5:02.69 JOSH CYRUL (Asso,Trinity)
4 6 20 5:06.92 DAVID CHESTER (Losi,Trinity)
5 0 20 5:11.10 MARTIN CRISP (Tamiya,Trinity)
6 9 20 5:15.13 BRIAN KARWAN (Xray,Independant)
7 19 5:03.12 TODD LEWIS (Losi,Trinity)
8 3 19 5:05.33 ANDREW GRAY (Losi,Trinity)
9 8 19 5:12.83 BOB VAN WAGNER (Asso,World Class)
10 2 18 4:35.62 PAUL LEMIEUX (Losi,Trinity)

So yes, I am aware of Canadian talent, ofcourse I never said Canadian's were not talented
Old 01-31-2002, 06:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool Just making some conversation These guys race at our local track so I was wondering what kind of competition our club can give in these National Rc events.

You know, the Tamiya 414M is very similar in design to the Xray T1. At first glance, the rear bulkhead and drivetrain are almost identical. I like Tamiyas for their durability.

One last thing, for the guys running front one ways on their xrays, do you run the centre pulley locked or loose, and why? Also, if I reduce the wheelbase for tight tracks, will the rear end become 'loose' or tail happy without making other adjustments on my existing set up ( which is the one they give on the teamxray site ). Thanks, this forum is awesome...Very mature and informative.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Mulder,

Converstaion is good I do not mind one bit

If you are using the front one-way, you have a choice to run the mid-shaft one-way also, the reason you would want to do this is because it will allow the rear tires to "push" the front tires around the corner. When a car is going around a corner the front tires are taking a longer path or arch around the corner, so if the mid-shaft one-way is used, the front tires will not have any power going to them. IF the rear tires start to spin (loss of traction) faster than the front tires, the center one-way will lock and ingage the front tires. You will want to try both settings and see which one works better for your current track conditions.

Also read the article that Greg Vogle wrote about one-ways, I have it on my site. It is very helpful.

When you set the T1 to a shorter wheelbase, you are naturally adding more weight to the rear tires at the same time, so it becoming "tail happy" should not be a problem.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:10 PM
Tech Rookie

I will be racing tomorrow and will try out the different settings and give some feedback

I was reading the setup book today and it said the same thing you said, 'When you set the T1 to a shorter wheelbase, you are naturally adding more weight to the rear tires at the same time, so it becoming "tail happy" should not be a problem.'. However, I was always under the influence reducing the wheelbase would require a greater centripetal force in high speed turns causing the force of friction to be less than the centripetal force hence the sliding bit. Just got some new tires so many setup variables should be reduced trying the new stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.