Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I have found Losi to be the most consistent. I have not used the X-Ray oil so I cannot comment. Another plus to Losi oil is it the colors. Each weight oil is a different color. This is good if you forget..........

Associated oil seems to be thinner. 50 weight AE is about like 40 weight Losi. At least to me. I am no oil expert

Hope this helps some and doesn't confuse you further.......
Old 06-10-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thanks Rob

Thanks Rob...I have never used losi oils...mostly associated and a brief try with trinity but that felt like water.

Can you tell me if you used all the stock mounting hardware from the Raycer. Mostly want to know if you used the screws to mount the steering links to the steering blocks. I ran the raycer tonight and I broke a steering block and had another break when someone else was driving the car. I ran the evo 2 for a couple of months and the only breakage was 2 chubs. I am wondering if a ball stud would have made a difference. I like the screws a little better but if it contributed to breaking then I will switch. I am contemplating aluminum but how easy is it to bend those. On your setup I noticed you were running composit chubs???? Why not aluminum?

I did like the car and I was a couple tenths quicker and actually could keep up with the fastest cars....chicky in particular. I cant drive the same line so consistantly so I lose time. The rear of the car felt more planted than the evo2 and I think it was a little easier to drive. I believe the new belt and pullys make a little difference.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Thanks Rob

Originally posted by Joneser
I am contemplating aluminum but how easy is it to bend those.
Hi Joneser

You will not bend the aluminum. I haven't heard of anyone bending or breaking the alum chubs. The plastic composites are more susceptible to breaking, however, be a bit more careful around the boards and other cars. After awhile, it can get expensive. The alum are more prettier if you like them (they match the shiny bulkheads ), however they are heavier with more unsprung weight. Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default Aluminum

Actually we have had some chubs bend at our track. I have yet to bend one but I know of two people that did....one better than average driver and one of the newer guys. I do know that our track is not alone. One of our guys talked with a Very good driver from Cinc. and he has bent one or two. My question was really with the Steering blocks. I had 2 break today on the raycer...I did one and someone testing my car broke one. I had never broken one on the evo2. The only part I broke on the evo2 was the composit chub. I dont know if it has anything to do with the different style of connecting the steering links to the steering block???? I want to keep the aluminum to a minimum but I want to make sure I am running after 5 minutes. As a whole, I thing the Xray's are very tough cars but seem to have a couple of weak spots...like the chubs which we have found to break very easily.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Aluminum

Originally posted by Joneser
Actually we have had some chubs bend at our track. I have yet to bend one but I know of two people that did....one better than average driver and one of the newer guys. I do know that our track is not alone. One of our guys talked with a Very good driver from Cinc. and he has bent one or two. My question was really with the Steering blocks. I had 2 break today on the raycer...I did one and someone testing my car broke one. I had never broken one on the evo2. The only part I broke on the evo2 was the composit chub. I dont know if it has anything to do with the different style of connecting the steering links to the steering block???? I want to keep the aluminum to a minimum but I want to make sure I am running after 5 minutes. As a whole, I thing the Xray's are very tough cars but seem to have a couple of weak spots...like the chubs which we have found to break very easily.
Eric,

I have to agree with you on the Alu bending. I actually bent one when I hit a dot and flew up and landed on it. It's really hard to bend but it does happens. Now as for the composite, its a totally difference story. They will break plenty and it is a good idea to stock up on a couple. If your track is clockwise, stock an extra one of two right ones, if it's counterclockwise, then the left. Don't ask me how I found that out, but I use to always sell more of the right ones than the left ones. LOL After surveying the peeps that are buying up the hubs, it just proved my theory.

I'll see tomorrow if I can dig up some from my bin and if I have them, I'll send you a couple. I already have your info buddy!

Jim
Old 06-11-2003, 02:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Jonesr,

As Jimmy stated. Aluminum will bend and/or break. Myself, Ralph Burch, Jared Scott, Travis Schreven and Tom Esposito all broke aluminum steering hubs getting ready for the US Indoor Champs last season. Some of us had to go to pillow ball because Ralph ran out of spares.

I have found, and from other racers, that the front end seems more brittle on the T1R. Caster blocks are breaking and bending if aluminum. That is really it, but they cannot hardly take a hit at all on that car. Never had a caster block problem on the EVO2. Weird.

Hardware mounting on the steering for the T1R. I used what came in the kit.

Some guys are using Losi or AE Buds bumpers on their T1R's. I am using a harder foam bumper made by a friend of mine. I will get you his e-mail if you are interested. They are super lightweight and extremely hard. They work great.

One last thing that I had mentioned before. Set ups are completely different between the two cars. EVO2 seems to like being soft and ran with the blade front sway bar. T1R likes to be a little stiffer and no sway bars.... I "THINK" I like the EVO2 better......... Still deciding
Old 06-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

I will second Rob's praise of the bumper we're currently running. It's feather light, and shrugs off a hit WAAAAY better than the stock foam does.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

yep , i'll have to agree with everybody else , the alum. chubs do bend , i have not bent one but a fellow racer that has an evo 2 bent one this past weekend.

and the comments about the set up's on the different cars is dead on . the t1r like's a stiffer setup while the evo2 likes it about 2 to 3 settings softer on pavement.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Default Bumper

Rob, I am interested in the bumper. Is this the guy who was making the radio case for Mo (i am interested in that too).

I thought that the chubs were the weak spot on the front of the car....then I break the 2 steering blocks the first time out with the raycer. Are these parts so breakable because of materials, design or because the arms and hinge pins look indestructable?

Rob, keep us updated on your thoughts about the raycer. I watched you run in cleveland before the champs and that is one reason why I bought the Xray....it looked soooo smooooooth. I thought that the Raycer had more rear bite and was as fast or faster than my evo 2. It is not a good comparison because I had the new pulleys and belt on the car last night.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any of you xray people use a Novak GT7? If so, what program do you use? I was thinking about trying out different programs to see what lap times I could get with each setting. Just curious cause I never have read any topics like this.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default STiff bumper

ROb,

Please get me in contact with the bumper guy too!! One for me, one for Ray L and Gary J. JOneser-I bet Tony will want one too. So make that 5 including Joneser!!!

I am the Loser who keeps bending aluminum C-hubs at our track. But its in the same corner of the track and the same stupid mistake. I just keep bending them back. Eventually I'll buy new ones to replace after I quit hitting that same darn corner!!!! Its a car crushing full speed to zero collision that just hits on the right front corner only!!!

I also agree the pulleys make a big difference!!!! My car is so free even the TC3 guys thought -WOW when they spun it and the Losi guys were even more impressed. It takes no effort to get the drivetrain spinning. But I did mucho bearing maintenance and that helps too.

Rob-I am still running your set-up and made some subtle chnges to it. Its really good. I think I need to make aother spring or shoc oil change t the front to make it more consistent, but thts it.

I just cannot beat the same three guys as always. Chicky, Jimmy and Aaron! Its driving me nuts!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Guys, this might be off topic a little.

Does anyone here own or do an asphalt track maintenance ? If so, would you mind sharing how to take care and maintain a newly fresh outdoor asphalt track ?

thanks.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:26 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: STiff bumper

Originally posted by rayhuang
.......I am the Loser who keeps bending aluminum C-hubs at our track. But its in the same corner of the track and the same stupid mistake. I just keep bending them back. Eventually I'll buy new ones to replace after I quit hitting that same darn corner!!!! Its a car crushing full speed to zero collision that just hits on the right front corner only!!!
You must seriously hit that corner dot!! I've been through a fair fews tumbles with mine but the alloy C hubs are still in great shape.

You may want to change to the Atlas foam bumper also, the one found on the YM34. It is made from a super hard foam and the holes fit the Xray perfect. You only have to do a bit of trimming on the back end of the foam where the screws go into the plastic bumper. I have been using this and the Xray wide bumper for a while with no problems.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default corner dot

DTM.....Ray did not hit a corner dot....he is hitting a board that is not very forgiving. I am sure he wishes it was a corner dot...I am sure he would not have bent the chub
Old 06-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Wink

Joneser: I don't know if it were a dot, It would just launch him into something else, and he'd bend it on that! LOL!

J/K Ray!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.