Old 06-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #331
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That is exactly what I have.
jetroc0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #332
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Which hole are you using for the forward lock screw ?
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #333
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Man I loved the XXX-S, but it really needs some updating. Makes me wonder if Losi will ever do another touring car again.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #334
Tech Rookie

I am using the outer hole. It seemed to me that this hole would allow for the most tension.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #335
Tech Elite

Little confused. The forward two holes are vertical. One above the other. The rearward holes are for the pulley . Let me know.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #336
Tech Rookie

The pulley is mounted to the most rearward hole.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #337
Tech Initiate

Yes, belts from xxx-4 are good enough. I'm using 2 of them in my xxx-s, but I had to make new longer tensioner from aluminium.
Here they are. So far so good. Only tried the stock xxx-s and with these tires is hard to handle. Like driving on ice One of the 3 is going to be a drifter and I'm woundering which diff should I lock? I guess the rear, but have to ask first.
Attached Thumbnails
LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc-p1200468_resize.jpg  
Wish_Mastera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #338
Tech Elite

Can anyone verify if the XXX4 belt tensioner is the same as the XXXS "long belt" tensioner ? I no longer have any to look at. It's possible that the XXX4 belt (which is the same length as the xxxs optional "black" belt) make require the xxxs optional tensioner. I was pretty sure the xxx4 and xxxs would have used the same one but I've now been told they may be different.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #339
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Can't you just drill holes into the stock tensioner (for tightening it down) to allow it to move more, providing more tension?

Losi should re-introduce this car into the market again as a VTA car, complete with a simple brushless set up. People haven't lost interest yet, I still see them sell on Ebay for a decent amount of cash. Still the easiest car to live with I've ever owned, which is why I won't sell mine.... it is there for the occasional silver can / GT- based racing that goes down locally.
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #340
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Theyre different.
You NEED the optional "black" belt tensioner arm and pulley
ASSociated RC12L4
T.O.P PHOTON EX & Tamiya M05 - currently undergoing rigorous crash testing!
paraletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #341
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraletic View Post
Theyre different.
You NEED the optional "black" belt tensioner arm and pulley
And there it is. Thanks Mate ! And yes, I still have 3 chassis and a bunch of parts but sadly no more black belts or optional tensioners. Couldn't remember if it was actually different from the XXX4.
So the answer is...YES, you can use the xxx4 belts BUT you must have the xxxs "black" belt tensioner.

Anyone know just why this is ? I'm curious now. If the belt will work then why is the tensioner different ( shorter )on the xxx4 ? I wonder if it has to do with either different size pulleys or maybe because of the slipper clutch ??
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #342
Tech Elite

From looking at the xxx4 manuals it appears the standard tensioner is the same between it and the xxxs. Part A3277 includes the upgraded tensioner and heavy duty YELLOW belt which is identical to the xxxs BLACK belt and tensioner. Both fairly hard to find now.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #343
Tech Elite

http://www.sixfoottiger.com/articles/xxxr/xxxr.cfm

Read the paragraph about the belt / tensioner.... the builder found himself in a scenario where the stock tensioner did not pull tight enough... so a bit of drilling took place to give the stock tensioner more adjustability. I know we are talking about a slightly different scenario with just putting a longer belt in the xxx-s (verses using a xxx4 spur/slipper) but I think in theory the issue (not enough tension) and the solution (drilling the stock tensioner to provide more tension) are perhaps very close.... It is something I would at least give a try. I have about 2-3 extra spare stock xxxs tensioners so I don't mind trying one out with this mod. This thread got me thinking about getting some extra belts and sure enough I can't find any . A few months back they were easy to find on ebay. Man... just bring the damn car back losi! HPI does well by keeping older designs going, the xxxs was just too awesome of a car to let fade away.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #344
Tech Elite

Good catch ! I've read that before but didn't remember the comment about the spur gear.
In case anybody missed it... The drive gear (attached to the spur gear on a xxxs) for the xxx4 is smaller than the one on xxxs spur gears.
NF...your fix is perfect when using the standard smaller diameter belts BUT...if you have the long Yellow belt (or black belt) I don't think the standard tensioner will work at all...even with the modification. Thoughts ??
Old 06-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #345
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Good catch ! I've read that before but didn't remember the comment about the spur gear.
In case anybody missed it... The drive gear (attached to the spur gear on a xxxs) for the xxx4 is smaller than the one on xxxs spur gears.
NF...your fix is perfect when using the standard smaller diameter belts BUT...if you have the long Yellow belt (or black belt) I don't think the standard tensioner will work at all...even with the modification. Thoughts ??
Is the XXX4 belt a lot wider? I guess I may have to try either way since the xxxs belts are nowhere to be found ? I thought the quest for Trinity MF parts was the all-elusive hunt (I've managed to find just about all of them ) but no belts to be found = eventual death of the car . I race silver can and cut every other tooth off my belt. I guess I better start looking or try to make a tensioner mod work, still like the car too much to fully retire it... it's like Billy D says, "works every time".