R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #181
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

are most people running 64 or 48p gears just curious...
gtxcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

I like 48 pith gears outside with powerful motors and use of brakes. 64 pitch are nice inside.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #183
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What aftermarket wheel nuts do you guys recommend? Mine have been falling off lately. The traxxas rustler I have are too small and the t-maxx ones are to large. Help?
small=breakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #184
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just use the genuine losi low profile alumin nuts
never had a problem with em
jus regularly check them (regardless what nuts or car u hav)
if ya having problems get NEW ones
if still a prob check ya axle threads aren't damaged

another thing too try is genuine losi thread lock
ASSociated RC12L4
T.O.P PHOTON EX & Tamiya M05 - currently undergoing rigorous crash testing!
paraletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #185
Tech Regular

John - Glad to see your "Tech" XXX-S thread, great thread as your previous tech TC5 and JS tuned CRC pan car

Now I decide me to liven up and rebuilt my shelf queen XXX-S G+. Luckily nearby LHS handed me extra 1 sets spare Graphite conversion chassis, I tried to race it again next month (next year).

I have only one Long HD belt (777mm length) stock on my parts bin beside one set installed on car.

Please kindly share if you have info regarding Blue / Yellow belt length...
Attached Thumbnails
LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc-xxx-sg-conversion-chassis.jpg  

Last edited by Faiz; 12-23-2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: add pics
Faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #186
Tech Elite

Faiz-Nice set of chasses. The blue and yelow belt are close enough to each other to use the same stock adjustment pulley and arm. There is a black HD belt now that is longer and requires an extended adjustment arm and different pulley.

I am using the green belt now. I noticed it had stretched quite a bit with a 3.5 motor in about 10 runs. It may take a set there though and quit stretching. I like it over the black belt for its silent performance and good top speed.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 12-24-2009 at 08:48 AM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #187
Tech Apprentice

Awesome thread I stumbled upon here! Was running the xxx-s in VTA for a few months ( on tight carpet ) then, followed the crowd, sold the car and bought the Corally RDX for the same class. After learning my lesson with the overpriced (for spare parts) and fragile RDX, I'm back in the market for a new (used) XXX-S.
Given the high traction carpet but low performance VTA tires, will an RTR chassis with stiff springs be the ticket here? Or, would I be better off with the stiffzell? My go to guy has all versions available, just need to pick one.
Any thoughts on a one-way vs. diff or JRXS spool?
Will be running the 21.5 / lipo combo
Any other tips for VTA greatly appreciated!
GI JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #188
Tech Elite

I suggest the graphite chassis and stiff springs and maybe swaybars on carpet.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #189
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What wheels for carpet and wheels for asphalt would you suggest? If one would work for both that would be sweet.
small=breakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #190
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any thoughts on a one-way vs. diff or JRXS spool?
Will be running the 21.5 / lipo combo
Any other tips for VTA greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

IMO I'd say go the spool option
one it's cheaper an less moving parts etc
plus it has the breaks over the oneway
ASSociated RC12L4
T.O.P PHOTON EX & Tamiya M05 - currently undergoing rigorous crash testing!
paraletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #191
Tech Elite

spool-I like the way a spool drives. This would be on rubber tires, indoors or outdoors. You have full use of brakes. You get great rip out of the corners. The JRXS spool pulley is outstanding. I get very low breakage and low wear. The TC5 has similar spool pulley, now, giving it homage. A one-way indoors will have a little better turn in, good performance out of the corners. It is more expensive to run than a spool. You break more outdrives. After a month or two you might start having trouble with one-way bearings becoming two-way. Outdoors on a dusty track I just could not keep dirt out of a one-way. Most do not have a dust seal. I think that Losi does with separate pair of O-rings on later models than the XXX-s.

A ball diff has the least wear and tear, has the easiest car setup, but is just slower out of the corners as the inside tire unloads and spins helplessly on power.

Wheels. I like the wheels used on Takeoff and Sorex premounts at speedtech-RC or Stormerhobbies. They are medium stiffness. Speedmind is used on Sorex and takeoff wheels of similar stiffness on Takeoff tires. I just buy the premounts and tune the car to the medium stiffness wheels. Very stiff wheels are usually brittle. Soft wheels usually deform greatly in a crash. I like the medium stiffness for durability as well as performance.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #192
Tech Regular

One-way to Two-Way (no-way) - well said John.. My bad experience also..

IMO Losi XXX-S One-Ways are well thought structurally, there are two outer ball bearings that takes radial load, and then pair of tiny 4mm One-Way (Type 0406) which would transmit torque load.

Unfortunately it is also the weakness point, cramped compact design only give space for 4mm One-Way (it is ok with extra maintenance), IMO if Losi use 6mm (Type 0608) OneI-Way, although would require total redesign it worthed extra durable.

I have replace Type 0406 a few times successfully, before regularly use Spool or Tight-Diff.
Faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #193
Tech Addict

Default VTA

Thanks for all the great tips! I have been fairly successful running a xxx-s at a very competitive USVTA track.
I was having issues on our latest layout however. Lots of sweeping corners that required good on power steering. I just couldn't seem to get a good balance between on power on off power steering.

I tried your trick of flattening the front arm angle by using a rear pivot - WOW.
Instantly knocked off 3 tenths! Much better on power steering!
Thanks!

However, I have now picked up a nasty traction roll. Hoping that a change in front spring rate and shock oil helps it out. But its really nice to have a car that has a traction balance that doesn't change radically off or on power.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #194
Tech Elite

Jason- Thanks for the report. Use stiffer springs, add sway bars, add graphite arms to prevent traction roll. In other words go stiffer.

LRP X12 3.5

This motor has been performing very well, in pan car and touring car, but breathed its last, Sunday a week ago. I probably have 40 runs on it. Now here are the gory details. When you open the back of this motor to oil that rear bearing you cannot even see it. It is hidden by the sensor board and then the solder tab board which is soldered right to the coils. No access. Well I have never had a rear Brushless rear bearing fail so I let it slide. Last week the rear bearing exploded, locked the rotor and fractured the magnet. The car came to a halt.

See this post to see an easier way to oil this rear bearing.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post6888388

The procedure to oil the rear bearing is to remove the front can and bearing assembly and the rotor and then oil it from inside. My motor has just the outer race glue in place inside now, so the the motor is totaled. I can't get it out without unsoldering the windings. I don't care to do that often, although I have done it successfully.

New motors are on the way including a Tekin 3.5 sensored for the pan car which is also using a Tekin R8 speed control.

Front bearing on a 3.5 are a different story especially on the pan car. They fail often. They need new lube every session or two. They need to be checked by hand every 3-4 sessions.

Sometimes when you lose a front bearing in a bad spot like on the straight at full throttle, you can lose the whole electrical system, speed control fry's leads pop off the battery cells. Motor sensors are destroyed. This is quite expensive, so oil those puppies up and on the LRP X12 pull that arm after 30 runs or so and oil that rear bearing.

Novak and LRP 3.5 motors are not very equivalent. The Novak Ballistic is much easier to service. The Novak motor has gone softer on power and RPM, though. The LRP is much more like the early Novak HV's with good power and RPM. Each has a suitable track. The Novak still will not run with the Tekin R8 speed control.

I ran an X11 today. I think it was .3 slower than the X12 but it it hard to tell. The Losi was still faster than 3 of 4 of the other touring cars that showed. Poor traction helped the Losi XXX-S. It gripped better than the rest.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-21-2010 at 07:00 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #195
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

John, I am huge fan of xxxs, have several of them, but thinking of jrxs type r soon, why did you decide tah xxxs will be better for modified than jrxs type R? Maybe I should stay with my old friend further...