Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BRCA Go Open Lipo @ 1350g for Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Not everyone runs a tank...

My car's bog standard and under 1350g with no extra weight.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Not everyone runs a tank...

My car's bog standard and under 1350g with no extra weight.
Yes and not everyones car is super light is it which is why its such a shit rule.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Well maybe it's time rules aren't made for just one manufacturer. Couple years back 5 cell mod was brought up to 1425g instead of 1400 just because one manufacturer couldn't make a car to a similar weight as all the other makes.

And to be perfectly clear, 1350g makes sense as the rules were for 1500g for nimh and nicads, which are 150g heavier than the heaviest legal lipos of the moment.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Current 5000mAh LiPo packs are around 300gm. The 4600 NiMH packs that the old weight limit permitted to be run competitively are around 420gm.

120gm less weight in the pack and 150gm less in the minimum? Seems entirely reasonable to me. My car (TOP Scythe) needed ballast to reach 1500 with NiMHs anyway.

The L/R balance issues will be solved by chassis layout as the manufacturers catch up with the 1350 limit.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Well maybe it's time rules aren't made for just one manufacturer. Couple years back 5 cell mod was brought up to 1425g instead of 1400 just because one manufacturer couldn't make a car to a similar weight as all the other makes.
I see what youre saying but i think they should have gathered more info and then most could hit an achievable target. I mean my cars nothing amazingly special and its not something mega old but im no where near where i need to be.

Mi3.5
X11 10.5
SXX
KO 2123
KO 302f
Demon 5000 lipo
Protoform LTC-R

1390g

With 30g on the lipo side it sits on balance pins perfectly but its then 1420g

Heres hoping that 70g isnt going to hurt me too much!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Yeah but the MI3 has always been a very heavy car. Blame schuey not the rules. You wouldn't be able to make 1500g on cells... Whereas there isn't any other top end car out there that wouldn't need extra weight.

There's 1 lipo that reaches 300g on the list, the others are at max around 280g.

TBH if you're running what technically is an outdated car, then the least of your worries is reaching the minimal weight limit.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think I will ever understand this fad to reduce weight limits. At 1500g every TC on the market from entry level to high end can run any gear they like and still have a balanced TC without a weight handicap. What is so wrong with that? Being realistic... People will now spend less $ on cheap weights and buy expensive Ti screw kits and leightweight electronics to try and get near the new weights. You will also increase the lap pace of the cars with lower weights which will sperate the fast driver from the slower guys even more. Faster pace means more speed through corners which means more crashes when people get it wrong.

Sorry if I don't think its a good idea but I like the idea of even and close racing.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

Everyone should get a Type R eh?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys,

Just my findings with the LW cars. Friday night I got to drive two cars, one was balanced at 1350 and the other needed added weight to be balanced and ended up at 1410.
The Cars drove well to be honest, obviously the lighter car will on paper have an advantage, but both felt fine and both seemed a touch faster than the 1500g cars and had no set up changes after removing the weight. I’m almost certain most cars will be able to get to the 1350 weight limit if not within 1370, and I used to add an extra 15g to my 1500g cars to make sure it was safe!
I think this new rule is a brilliant idea!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I don't think I will ever understand this fad to reduce weight limits. At 1500g every TC on the market from entry level to high end can run any gear they like and still have a balanced TC without a weight handicap. What is so wrong with that? Being realistic... People will now spend less $ on cheap weights and buy expensive Ti screw kits and leightweight electronics to try and get near the new weights. You will also increase the lap pace of the cars with lower weights which will sperate the fast driver from the slower guys even more. Faster pace means more speed through corners which means more crashes when people get it wrong.

Sorry if I don't think its a good idea but I like the idea of even and close racing.
Trackside in the UK, NiMH is dead.

I went to the first round of the Carpet Thrashnals (a pretty big winter series here) with my NiMH and brushed car () - looking round the pits I didn't see a single other NiMH pack and only one other brushed motor. All I saw was LiPos and a ton of sticky lead.

We needed a weight that reflected LiPo. When you take into account the difference in weight between the packs, 1350gm is totally reasonable - and if the whisper is that EFRA favour 1350gm too, it's better for the BRCA to be in line.

This is a level playing field. I would rather a weight limit that most people are automatically over, rather than one that most people need ballast to reach.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dragonfire

Trackside in the UK, NiMH is dead.

I went to the first round of the Carpet Thrashnals (a pretty big winter series here) with my NiMH and brushed car () - looking round the pits I didn't see a single other NiMH pack and only one other brushed motor. All I saw was LiPos and a ton of sticky lead.

We needed a weight that reflected LiPo. When you take into account the difference in weight between the packs, 1350gm is totally reasonable - and if the whisper is that EFRA favour 1350gm too, it's better for the BRCA to be in line.

This is a level playing field. I would rather a weight limit that most people are automatically over, rather than one that most people need ballast to reach. Adding weight just looks "wrong" on the cars.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

My car with a light weight body and no extra weight is under the 1350.
When I build in a lighter steering servo and place my electronics on other places and I go to a smaller spectrum receiver I can go even lighter and I don't need any balancing weights.

Whit a normal body and with extra weight my car is now 1408 because in Belgium we must weigh 1400. 8 grams for safety.
The Photon is a very light car but it's also what you have in the car. The speedo the receiver and the steering servo.

I had always one of the heaviest cars and I wanted to now why, so I started to see were I could lose some weight on the car.
The steering servo and the receiver are the 2 things that I want to change still because those are still the 2 things were I can lose some weight. Also the wires to the lipo must I shorten.
Also how many paint you use on the car body, screws on the car.

Last year some Schumacher drivers drilled holes in there bulkheads to lose weight. Even now some of them have drilled holes in there mi4 motor mount.
Changed to titanium mounting and turn buckles.

I did only change from the Scythe to the Photon and to lipo.
Shortened a lot of wires and used not as many paint as I did before.
This helps a lot.
I don't go to make my car lighter for the class were I may weigh 1350. I will only use a light weight body and that's it.
Than is my car just above the 1350 and that's good.

So before you drill holes in your car ore buy lightweight mounting stuff.
Balance your car different, shorten the wires or use thiner ones and look for a lightweight body. You will see that your car will be a lot lighter and you don't need a lot of extra weight to balance your car.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah but the MI3 has always been a very heavy car. Blame schuey not the rules. You wouldn't be able to make 1500g on cells... Whereas there isn't any other top end car out there that wouldn't need extra weight.

There's 1 lipo that reaches 300g on the list, the others are at max around 280g.

TBH if you're running what technically is an outdated car, then the least of your worries is reaching the minimal weight limit.
First of all i dont blame Schumacher because the car was out there before the rule was even amended.

Secondly the 'the least of my worries' haha dont be silly theres still a few top guys that run the mi3.5, youre talking about it like its a dinosaur.

What youre saying is that unless you have the latest car etc youre not allowed to make an attempt at being competetive. Just seems to me like a stupidly low figure and it should be something a bit higher so everyone can achieve therefore making it a level playing field. I bet Schumacher isnt the only manufacturer thats not going to hit the 1350 either.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Without trying to slam the Mi3.5. You won't achieve 1500g on it running cells, Are you saying that 1500g was too low a limit for Nimh? No you're not, so why are you so bothered with the new lower limit?

EVERY other top end chassis on the market will make 1350g. and even if they can only make 1370g, that's what I'll be running my car at anyway just to be safe.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I prolly should have mentioned that achiving the weight limit is not hard for me. With my recent change of electronics my chassis weighs in at 1380 balanced on rubberz with no ti screws and a full size servo. My problem is there are many budget racers out there running chassis like the ta05 which even with options weighs about the same as a brick. Lipo gave everyone the chance to be very equal in terms of weight and brushless makes us all even with power. Why would you want to change that for the average racer who already has enough trouble explaining the cost of racing to their other half or parents?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.