R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #31
Tech Champion

Never raced with an xray, but there are some basics everyone should follow with any brand of car.

1) Have confidence in the car you race with (can you hold THE chassis in your hand, or look at one closely and think "this car is for me" )

2) Keep a good supply of parts with you for race day and know of local suppliers

3) Ideally have people around you who race the same chassis for setup help

Personally, i've never had an xray as i've not liked the look of them, so the car is only worth buying if it feels right for the one using it.

It's not a car for me though...

Any top level car is going to have good results behind it, usually the only limiting factor is the reliability, and the user's racing/setting it up skill factor.

Indoors on carpet is a good starting point for on road racing, as the grip levels allow newcomers to focus more on their racing lines and car control, more than finding a setup first to find the best in the car
Fusion Hobbies / www.horshamrc.org

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by -J- View Post
Thanks Skiddins. I should've worded the question better. If it's a higher quality chassis, then it's worth it to me. If it's a bunch of hype, then not so much.

Still looking to hear what others have to say.
I ran Schumachers for a few years before going Xray about 1 year ago.

In that time I have only replaced; 1 spool (would have been just an outdrive but the previous owner cross threaded the spool), 1 driveshaft pin and one rear hub carrier.

The Mi3 had all those plus numerous driveshafts (about 6 if I recall) several pivot pins and a few wishbones plus pivot blocks etc.

Sadly there was no comparison for fit and finish, Xray's is far better and there appears to be more 'give' in the parts that might take any stress in a crash.
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

xray comes out with a new car every year so if you get one i would get the t3 becuz if or when they come out with the next car they should use the same parts just like the t2 series they used the same basic parts like castor block a arms ....until the t3 series. some if you get the t3 now you should be able to stock up on parts and not have to worry about restocking new parts when they come out with their next ride.(hopefully)
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote