Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does traction compound harm carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Does traction compound harm carpet?

The local track owner is worried that letting racers use traction compound will harm the carpet. He is also concerned about the black groove that develops. It has been awhile since I have spent a long time around a carpet track. I remember the black groove does fade away after vacuuming and time. Also how bad is the groove if everyone is on rubber tires. I recall that it was the foam tires that really increased the chances of the black groove developing. Also racers not wiping there tires off before hand caused black tires marks until the carpet wiped the tires clean.

We are trying to get our local track owner to let us use traction compound since our track conditions are very slick. He was concerned about smell but we have shown him there are products available that have almost no smell. Now it is the effect of traction compound on the carpet we need to address. The current traction is very low. With TC you are sliding every corner and a car like a F104 on rubber tires is undrivable.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The owner of the carpet/facility needs to consider how having low traction affects overall turn-out and/or racing quality vs. allowing odorless traction compound will pre-maturely wear out the carpet.

Assuming this track is using CRC ozite carpet, my best suggestion would be to contact them directly for advice on how tire additives affect the racing surface. Check out this link on CRC's website for infomation on their racing ozite(http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7718822)
Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

If additive was any problem to the wear rate or a purpose made carpet it wouldn't be used as much as it is.

But does it matter if you are all on a level playing field? It does remove a cost element to someone on a smaller budget. Having said that you could argue that you could get away with running older tyres with the use of additive.

I guess you could go alone the lines of just using a tyre cleaner such as brake cleaner! That'll soften the rubber and the owner can't argue that will damaged the track if the tyres are going on it clean!!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The groove will fade but it never goes away entirely, so you'll end up with dirty looking carpet eventually. Does the room double as a ballroom or something? RC carpet is supposed to be dirty. The groove is seen as a good thing.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Here in the UK we banned smelly and toxic additives such as Paragon way back in the early 90s. For our 1/12th class we test additives to ensure the additives used will all work together, use the wrong additive and it removes the grip for everyone. The current list we allow is:

Corally TC2 (Jack the Gripper) -Silver can - pink writing (13779) or Black plastic bottle with sponge applicator (13742)
LRP Top Traction (Blue Factor) -Round white bottle with sponge applicator (6501)
Orion Street Juice (TC Traction F1) -Clear bottle - purple writing (44101)
Orion Foam Juice Formula -Clear bottle – yellow writing (44105)
CS High Grip Tyre Conditioner -Clear bottle - white label (C6400) or Short tin can - white and yellow label (C6400)
Markus Mobers Speedtech Foam Liquid -Silver can, white label
CS Speed Grip (CS6460) -short tin can, white and yellow label

CS High Grip is by far the most popular here for both foam and rubber tyres.

All of these work with each other, none of them smell and none of them can damage the carpet. The carpet at my club is around 15 years old now, it's wearing thin but the additive hasn't caused any damage and the black racing line dries out between each weeks racing.

We also run indoors at certain tracks with a ban on any additive due to the floor being used by other users. In this case you get the grip by cleaning the tyres after a run then using tyre warmers to cook the tyres.

The greatest amount of damage to the carpet is caused by buggies and trucks running pin spike tyres.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Here in the UK we banned smelly and toxic additives such as Paragon way back in the early 90s.
I wouldn't consider the odorless compounds less toxic than Paragon. In fact, I personally think they're worse.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

We've had our carpet (Daytona Ozite) down for well over 8 years racing weekly on it with Jack the Gripper traction compound. Each layout creates a distinct groove but when a new layout goes down it goes away and a new one will form. The only signs of wear on our carpet are tear's created by the cars themselves if they are rubbing the carpet or have long/sharp body posts when they flip over. I'd be more concerned about cars creating damage over traction compound causing issues.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I wouldn't consider the odorless compounds less toxic than Paragon. In fact, I personally think they're worse.
You're right, just because something doesn't smell doesn't mean it isn't unhealthy.

However, a room filled with the stench of additives is unappealing to say the least.
The 'odorless' additives are far easier to get along with. If you try and smell them you can usually tell what their base is etc, try smelling Paragon etc close up and you can almost feel your throat burning.

Skiddins
Old 02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Somebody mentioned "Paragon" in a post.....Dirla will be chiming in......in 3......2......1......
Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Well i just switch my dirt track over to crc a carpet track. I think i read on crc website the only recommend paragon. After testing it was the only compound found to not melt the carpet fibers.

Now the newest recommended compound is SXT. This was recommended to me by all the local racers and crc themselves.

Im real sensitive to smells and perfumes, i get real bad headaches. When i walk into my track in the morning all i smell is fresh carpet. Three weeks in now and no smells at all.

The only ware and tear i see from the trucks is from shock towers digging in. my carpet is glued down and is much less likely to rip. carpet that is rolled out will tear much easier.

I make all 4 wheel drive sc run spec tires, panther slicks or proline ions. All other classes run what ever tire they like.

We run onroad and offroad so on offroad days i have extra carpet i tape down in high ware areas.

If your owner is worried or has any questions at all have him call me at 973 575 0375 and ill be able to help you guys out.

Aldo
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

LGC by Gravity RC!!!! Great tires as well, foam that is.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

PARAGON FOR LIFE
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Nice!!!

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
PARAGON FOR LIFE
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The carpet is not ozite and it is in an area that is used for other things besides RC cars.

Sure racing without traction compound keeps the playing field level without adding cost but, the traction is very low on our carpet. The experienced drivers can learn to handle and drive the sliding cars. This does not help the less experienced drivers since they just get frustrated. The traction is low enough that a majority of the corners it is more of a controlled drift then anything.

No, Paragon will not be used. The smell even though some like it is too much. The track space and the store not being strictly for RC is enough reason to not allow the use of Paragon. We will most likely use SXT 3.0. I have been very happy with the performance of SXT when I have used it. Luckily no one at the track besides me has any traction compound so getting everyone to have the same stuff would be very easy. Bottles of traction compound used on rubber tires last a long time so letting someone who might not have any yet use some for a race day is no big deal. My question has nothing to do with specific traction compounds. It is about the carpet and how it is effected.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Since it is not a dedicated surface for racing, I can understand why the owner wouldn't want the use of compound. Compound will definitely increase the amount of rubber and marks deposited on the track. Since it is not even a standard racing carpet, you might find that the compound doesn't work well either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.