R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Novak Kinetic (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/337908-novak-kinetic.html)

Cammer 10-22-2009 05:17 AM

Novak Kinetic

Does anybody know when this will be available and what the price of speed control and PC adapter will be. It is nice to see Novak back in the game.

or8ital 10-22-2009 05:58 AM

There is a thread on it in the electronics forum. Being launched at the iHobby show today. $200 I believe is the price.

Cammer 10-22-2009 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just found this on RC411.com It looks great, I really like the two profile system, should be perfect for offroad as you can leave the laptop at home and still have your custom profiles to use as the track changes.

If you're into brushless racing you can thank Novak. Thank you Novak! They were the forerunners of this new technology and got the movement started. Like in many industries being first also sometimes you end up last. As new ESC came out with new features and hardware they can out pace some. A recent development in dynamic timing has been sweeping "Stock" racing everywhere. In fact we just did an article showcasing just how dramatic of a difference speedo timing advances can make and the IIC showed that too as a CRC prototype literally destroyed the competition.

The new Kinetic system joins the next generation of ESCs that offer dynamic tuning, PC interface and what we think is the future of ESC downloadable content and updates. This is a huge bonus for consumers because you'll never be out "ESC'd" by not having the newest softeware. In the past if you had a good ESC and a new profile came out you'd have to buy a new speedo...which cost you about $200. Now you can download the updates.

We're happy to see this pioneer and step their game up to the next level and above...here's their information.

ENERGY IN MOTION
Irvine, CA -October 21, 2009 - After years of designing, testing and perfecting, Novak - the forerunner of speed control technology - has completed its greatest engineering accomplishment. Novak’s flagship Kinetic Racing Brushless/Brush ESC (#1740), which is available in 10 Kinetic/Ballistic Brushless Systems - 3.5T-21.5T (#3140-#3149), includes all of the most sought after speed control features in R/C racing, such as dynamic motor timing, digital current control, complete on-board programmability and built-in PC interface software. But it wouldn’t be a Novak speed control if the Kinetic did not include some brand new features that will inevitably raise the standard for speed controls throughout the industry.

PERSONALIZED RACING SPEED CONTROL
Novak has packed the small and lightweight Kinetic with a multitude of features that will, simply, improve any driver’s racing. Among the many adjustable parameters, the Dynamic Timing Advance™ stands out for its self-adjusting capabilities. The motor-timing feature increases the motor RPM dynamically from signals throughout the speed control. This, in turn, will result in higher speeds and improved performance. Another new element to Novak ESCs is the precision, digital current limiting feature, known as Electronic Power Control™. By adjusting the current limiter, drivers can fine tune their vehicle’s power delivery and response, creating a more consistent throttle. The Electronic Power Control also decreases system temperatures, prevents wheel spin and mutes over-aggressive throttle use.

Two additional features that go hand-in-hand are the Brake and Throttle Curves. Simply stated, these curves allow drivers to apply their brakes and throttle more gradually or aggressively. But the most impressive element to these parameters is their adjustability. Using Novak’s new PC interface, users can customize preset brake and throttle curves graphically by simply dragging points on the graph. Drivers can either save these customized curves or create their own to test drive on a track later.
Another feature that can be fine tuned via Novak’s new PC interface is the adjustable Voltage Cut-Off parameter. This feature allows drivers to select a cut-off voltage value among a predetermined range of values for 2S Li-Po and Li-Fe battery packs. This voltage cut-off flexibility can improve a vehicle’s performance, while still protecting a driver’s battery investment

The fast and smooth Kinetic also includes a Starting Line Mode that improves drivers’ reaction time. Only a slight touch of the throttle will initiate the speed control’s maximum speed. This feature improves racers’ chances of being in the lead through the first turn, or the holeshot, quick trigger finger or not. In addition to quick starts, Novak has fashioned a feature to simplify braking. The Brake End Point aids fine tuning the Kinetic’s braking power without changing the radio settings.

In addition to Novak’s easy-to-use One-Touch™ on-board programming interface, the Kinetic ESC can be fine tuned via Novak’s fully adjustable PC interface, the NovaLink™ (#5440). The optional NovaLink provideusers with expanded programming adjustability. TheNovaLink Programming Interface comprises a unique module that easily plugs into the Kinetic’s input harnand an included USB cord. Using the integrated softwadisk, racers can fine tune the Kinetic’s multiple parameters by inputting the desired values or using thuser-friendly graphic controls. Additionally, each personalized set of parameters can be stored onto a Pto recall and use again later. These custom-made parameter sets can, in addition, be shared with other drivers to collaborate and find the best set up percompetition and race condition. The NovaLink will also never be outdated due to the easy-to-downlosoftware updates available to NovaLink users on Novak’s Web site. Furthermore, the NovaLink is compatible with Windows® XP™ and Vista™ comIn com

In addition to driver file sharing, Novak also plans to create a database of parameter settings for any racing condition or application. Simply, visit the Novak Web site and search for your specific condition or track; download the file and save it to your PC. This will give drivers a starting point when preparing for a race and tips on how to properly adjust the Kinetic’s many parameters. Through Novak’s Profile Selection feature, users can save up to two parameter settings on their Kinetic and can switch between them using the One-Touch interface to meet their application needs.

NEXT-GENERATION MOTORS
To complete the remarkable system, the sensored Ballistic motors contain an easy-to-adjust timing assembly that alters the RPM range and features interchangeable wound stator construction, which creates dozens of racing options. Additionally, these sleek motors are ROAR/IFMAR approved, boast a removable shielded sensor harness, and contain a nickel-plated sintered Neodymium rotor for maximum motor acceleration, braking power and performance in high-temperature conditions. And like all Novak racing motors, these brushless motors are blisteringly fast, reaching speeds that will effortlessly satisfy any racer or basher.
The expected ship dates for the Kinetic/Ballistic Brushless Systems – 3.5T-21.5T (#3140-#3149), Kinetic Racing Brushless/Brush ESC (#1740) and NovaLink Programming Interface (#5440) will be announced shortly. For more information and updated ship-date information, visit the Novak Web site

syndr0me 10-22-2009 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Awesome, the company that started it all is back in the game!

How does the size of the ESC compare to others on the market?

I see "graphical" controls is part of the tuning software. Can I make a plea for a version that doesn't have anything pretty, and is just some sliders with numbers? That stuff is cumbersome on a small netbook screen.

Davidka 10-22-2009 07:18 AM

Back in the game? Novak was never out of the game. The GTB is still the dominant brushless presence everywhere I look.

I think the GTB's size was ok, it was the keg of a power capacitor that had to be used that took up a bunch of room. I wonder if the new unit resolves that?

M-Technic 10-22-2009 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Davidka (Post 6506059)
Back in the game? Novak was never out of the game. The GTB is still the dominant brushless presence everywhere I look.

I think the GTB's size was ok, it was the keg of a power capacitor that had to be used that took up a bunch of room. I wonder if the new unit resolves that?

Maybe in off-road, but in my area not even the beginners/bashers are buying GTB's anymore (for touring).

It will be nice to see if this speedo can hang with the SPX/RS/BMC, I would love to see more competition out there for stock touring speedos. The Kinetic has a great look about it, I like that style of heatsink a lot. Loaded with features to boot.

Davidka 10-22-2009 07:36 AM

In my area the GTB is still very popular in TC mostly because of it's reliability. The new heatsink appears to have tabs machined into it, presumably to hold a fan? That's pretty cool.

M-Technic 10-22-2009 07:43 AM

The GTB was definitely the most reliable brushless speedo I have owned. It took everything I could throw at it.

or8ital 10-22-2009 07:51 AM

If that image is showing the ESC to scale with the motor then this ESC might be larger than the GTB. Hopefully that is not the case.

Cammer 10-22-2009 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by M-Technic (Post 6506176)
The GTB was definitely the most reliable brushless speedo I have owned. It took everything I could throw at it.

I was running LRP with poor luck and the Novak made me envious with it's reliability. When it did smoke, usually from incorrect hook up, Novak always looked after the guys sometimes replaced them for free.

NovakTwo 10-22-2009 07:55 AM

The footprint of the Kinetic is slightly smaller than the GTB; the low profile HS has been tailored to hold the included fan for additional cooling. Our transcap module is included and is the same size, as always.

I will check and see if we can offer a less graphically intense interface for smaller computers. All Kinetic programming functions can be adjusted with our One Touch, on-board programming; the PC interface allows finer adjustments. We will add information on all the NovaLink features later.

or8ital 10-22-2009 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by NovakTwo (Post 6506235)
The footprint of the Kinetic is slightly smaller than the GTB; the low profile HS has been tailored to hold the included fan for additional cooling. Our transcap module is included and is the same size, as always.

I will check and see if we can offer a less graphically intense interface for smaller computers. All Kinetic programming functions can be adjusted with our One Touch, on-board programming; the PC interface allows finer adjustments. We will add information on all the NovaLink features later.

How about some additional images of it? Interested where everything plugs in. Thanks!

Fastfreddy74 10-22-2009 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by or8ital (Post 6506212)
If that image is showing the ESC to scale with the motor then this ESC might be larger than the GTB. Hopefully that is not the case.

Kinetic's footprint is 29.5x37.3mm so it's almost the same size of an LRP Sphere (which is 31.1x37.6mm) and just a little larger than an LRP SXX (30.5x34.0mm)

SWTour 10-22-2009 09:28 AM

an easier to view pic.

http://www.southwesttour.com/images/novak_kinetic.jpg

stitchy 10-22-2009 09:39 AM

Interesting! subscribed.