Novak Kinetic

Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Company Representative

For anyone with upgrade issues, contact [email protected] if you prefer that we exchange out your brain board. We have an exchange program; we send you the new BB with V1.4 loaded, you send us back your old one in a PP envelope
Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default great service

now that's what you called great support ...thanks
Originally Posted by NovakTwo
For anyone with upgrade issues, contact [email protected] if you prefer that we exchange out your brain board. We have an exchange program; we send you the new BB with V1.4 loaded, you send us back your old one in a PP envelope
Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

When there is something worth criticizing, I will criticize. When something deserves praise, I will praise it. 1.3 had some real issues, but 1.4 seems to have gotten it right. I have been using it for a few days, and it seems flawless!

I did have an issue with the device updater and couldn't connect to the esc afterwards. I can't help you guys with the same problem, but to those that have not yet updated, here is my advice.

1. I would not use the stand alone device updater file. I think my problems began because I updated the Novalink before I did anything else.

2. Uninstall 1.3 and delete the remaining Novac folders.

3. Download the full 1.4 file and the self extracting firmware file.

4. Install the drivers, and then install 1.4. Don't open 1.4, but go into the Novalink folder and run the device updater from there, it is included with the full download.

5. Install the self extracting firmware file, then open 1.4 and run the firmware updater.

Once I figured out what I had done wrong, this procedure worked the first time. If you are still having issues, and you used the stand alone updater, you may try running the device updater again from inside the Novalink folder. Even though the instuctions say to only run the updater once, I wound up doing it twice on the first install, then again with the procedure I listed above and it is still alive and working fine. But the boys at Novak would have to give that their blessing.

I may suggest that there is still an issue with screen resolution, as after installing 1.4 the first time, I increased the resolution to try and get a better fit on my netbook and the machine went blank. It required a system restore to bring it back, brand new machine with only Novalink on it so it was no big deal. I had messed around with the resolution with 1.3 with no problems, but since the list of fixes in 1.4 included something about screen resolution, there may be something that still needs work.

Does the warning on the download page about the 17.5 1S default settings on 1.3 also apply to 1.4, or has that been rectified? It seems a little vague. I'm certain that it was among the problems I was having with 1.3, so I'm not sure I want to mess with it. Do the default settings change anything besides the two RPM values? If not I'll just set my own.

Great work on 1.4 guys!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well I finally made it to the track to test out the new software and I dont like it. I was able to get it to load no problem but now on both my cars I have to run with boost on and before with 1.3 I could run just dynamic timing and adjust the rpm trip points. As it is now I have to use boost and it has no adjustment other than the degree of time and the delay. How do I go about setting these esc's back to 1.3 as I have tried by removing anything Novak on my pc and reinstalling the 1.3 but my esc's wont recognize anything so I had to reload 1.4 and I just dont like the way it works now. I hope if it is a bug you guys can fix it. In the mean time I would like to go back to 1.3.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThrottleKing
Well I finally made it to the track to test out the new software and I dont like it. I was able to get it to load no problem but now on both my cars I have to run with boost on and before with 1.3 I could run just dynamic timing and adjust the rpm trip points. As it is now I have to use boost and it has no adjustment other than the degree of time and the delay. How do I go about setting these esc's back to 1.3 as I have tried by removing anything Novak on my pc and reinstalling the 1.3 but my esc's wont recognize anything so I had to reload 1.4 and I just dont like the way it works now. I hope if it is a bug you guys can fix it. In the mean time I would like to go back to 1.3.
1.4 has the same settings as 1.3
No, you dont have to run boost on if you dont want it.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PFKAOG
1.4 has the same settings as 1.3
No, you dont have to run boost on if you dont want it.
I do if I want any kind of timing advance at all. When I select the boost off and set the timing I want and the rpm range I want I get no timing advance whatsoever on both of my cars. I have had to select the boost on to get anything and it is stupid slow as it has no advance at all and then the delay kicks on and it goes straight to 55* and its just about down the strait before its up to speed and agin it is the same on both my cars. Now I cant get the esc's to respond when i try to use the 1.3 after I completely removed 1.4 and reinstalled 1.3. I had no trouble getting either of these to load on my pc but the 1.4 doesn't function right for me as far as the esc goes but the pc sofware seems to be ok.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Suspended

I do if I want any kind of timing advance at all. When I select the boost off and set the timing I want and the rpm range I want I get no timing advance whatsoever on both of my cars. I have had to select the boost on to get anything and it is stupid slow as it has no advance at all and then the delay kicks on and it goes straight to 55* and its just about down the strait before its up to speed and agin it is the same on both my cars. Now I cant get the esc's to respond when i try to use the 1.3 after I completely removed 1.4 and reinstalled 1.3. I had no trouble getting either of these to load on my pc but the 1.4 doesn't function right for me as far as the esc goes but the pc sofware seems to be ok.
You're doing something wrong. I added timing just fine the same way I did with 1.3
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Nope. I have again uninstalled the 1.4 erased anything that had Novak connected to it in my pc and then reloaded without issue and then did the one touch set up then programmed the esc via the novalink just as I had it when it ran well with the 1.3 software and still no dynamic timing on either of my Kinetics. To get any kind of advance I have to turn on the boost setting and it still dogs until the delay goes off and it goes to full timing from 0 advance and it takes the entire 90' strait to get up to speed. My 1/12 and my WGT act the same way. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the 1.4 many times and I get the same results. I have followed every step and I can find no problems with my installation. I feel like an idiot but I had the 1.3 working fine for a few months now. I just can't explain what is happening. Idid notice a puff of smoke once when I was giving it some throttle and I hear something from the esc or cap that emitted a screech too. I would like to try the new brain boards with the 1.4 already installed on them as I have run out of options on my own. I would think if I was doing something wrong I wouldn't be able to get the 1.4 to load or even make adjustment to the esc using the 1.4 but everything else works with it but the Dynamic timing. It doesn't work at all. Novak Two please help if you can but I will for sure be calling CS tomorrow for some help because I nearly was to the point of snaping the GenX in two over my knee.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Tech Initiate

It's Friday night here in Australia, finally had time to run the Kinetic with V1.4 Firmware and PC software. I had played with the software earlier in the week and it all seemed good. Well, after placing the car on my test track (out the front of my house on the street) the car accelerated well until it neared top speed when it started cogging bad.

Test motor: 13.5T (ran last weekend with LRP SXX SS and I have also tested it again today with my LRP ESC, motor is fine.)
Range: 5000-20000 RPM, Timing=20 Deg. No boost.
Changed setting 4000-18000 RPM, Timing=10 Deg. No Boost.
Changed setting 8000-20000 RPM, Timing=35 Deg. No Boost. Same result.

Using my Novak Sentry it recorded a sudden drop in current, but it came back on... Looked like the current was turning on and off quickly, even though trigger was flat all the time.

I also didn't notice any change when adjusting the Timing parameter, although I did notice a change is RPM range worked.

Interesting: 4000-18000 RPM, Timing=20 Deg, Boost on 100ms, seemed as if you could get the car into boost mode it would run smooth, but on the way up to boost it would cog.

Time to put the LRP ESC back into my X-Ray. Hmmmm...
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have you reverted the novalinks device drivers back to the 1.3 version before trying to connect to 1.3?

http://www.teamnovak.com/download/NovaLink/

I assume it's the link at the bottom

Hope that helps
Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

I uninstalled everything and reloaded agin without issue this morning and both my esc's still will not run just the dynamic timing with the boost off. They both run like they are in the no boost mode but hey are not. When I do turn on the boost they still accelerate very slowly until the delay times out and then they jump to max timing but it takes forever for them to get up to speed. I will contact CS this morning and I am hopefull tht they will get me squareed away. I haven't had any trouble installing the softwre to my PC and it all loads up like I gues it should but untill I made it to the track I didn't notice anything wrong but now both my cars are as slow as turd where they were both some of the fastest with the 1.3 software.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Suspended

I uninstalled everything and reloaded agin without issue this morning and both my esc's still will not run just the dynamic timing with the boost off. They both run like they are in the no boost mode but hey are not. When I do turn on the boost they still accelerate very slowly until the delay times out and then they jump to max timing but it takes forever for them to get up to speed. I will contact CS this morning and I am hopefull tht they will get me squareed away. I haven't had any trouble installing the softwre to my PC and it all loads up like I gues it should but untill I made it to the track I didn't notice anything wrong but now both my cars are as slow as turd where they were both some of the fastest with the 1.3 software.
What is your current limiting setting set to?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

The limit is one. Like I said I never changed thier settings from the 1.3 software and they are the same on the screen too but the dynamic timing will not work now in the v1.4 for me, ican change anything I want and navigate the software anyway I want but the adjustment that I played with the most will not work.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JBM Racing
It's Friday night here in Australia, finally had time to run the Kinetic with V1.4 Firmware and PC software. I had played with the software earlier in the week and it all seemed good. Well, after placing the car on my test track (out the front of my house on the street) the car accelerated well until it neared top speed when it started cogging bad.

Test motor: 13.5T (ran last weekend with LRP SXX SS and I have also tested it again today with my LRP ESC, motor is fine.)
Range: 5000-20000 RPM, Timing=20 Deg. No boost.
Changed setting 4000-18000 RPM, Timing=10 Deg. No Boost.
Changed setting 8000-20000 RPM, Timing=35 Deg. No Boost. Same result.

Using my Novak Sentry it recorded a sudden drop in current, but it came back on... Looked like the current was turning on and off quickly, even though trigger was flat all the time.

I also didn't notice any change when adjusting the Timing parameter, although I did notice a change is RPM range worked.

Interesting: 4000-18000 RPM, Timing=20 Deg, Boost on 100ms, seemed as if you could get the car into boost mode it would run smooth, but on the way up to boost it would cog.

Time to put the LRP ESC back into my X-Ray. Hmmmm...
I have notice this only happened to me when I was using the custom throttle curves. I am not sure why but I must leave the curve linear in order for this not to happen. Both v1.3 and apparently v1.4 has this problem. I am using the Eurus controller from KO. So if I want to play with how the throttle feels I just adjust the radio. Have not had any luck with the custom throttle curves.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you look at some of my previous posts, I keep mentioning the fact that once you flash the NL adapter to 1.4 you can't go back to 1.3, or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it, but then again, I was more concerned with making everything 1.4 work together. I don't know if you change the drivers for 1.3 as suggested above will take you back to 1.3, but I'd give it a try, if your still having problems. Pretty sure the rest of your install for 1.3 is correct, its all in the link that your problem lies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.